MERGED: Breaking News!/USCCB approves new missal

  • Thread starter Thread starter benedictgal
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

benedictgal

Guest
Vatican Radio has just reported that we now have a date for the implementation of the New Roman Missal translation: November 27, 2011 for the United States.
 
Vatican Radio has just reported that we now have a date for the implementation of the New Roman Missal translation: November 27, 2011 for the United States.
So First Sunday of Advent 2011 as expected. I’m confident that that will be the date for Canada as well.
 
Yay! The sooner the better.

Benedictgal, I have a strong feeling were short of having a heart attack of joy. 😛
 
Good news!

Now, question:

Does this mean we will begin practicing the new translation on the First Sunday of 2011. or are we going to know it before then? In other words, when will parishes in the U.S. begin practicing with their parishioners?
 
Good news!

Now, question:

Does this mean we will begin practicing the new translation on the First Sunday of 2011. or are we going to know it before then? In other words, when will parishes in the U.S. begin practicing with their parishioners?
Preparation and catechesis ought to begin right now; one can only imagine what will happen if there’s a repeat of Missale Romanum. One can also imagine, quite frankly, that the more strident critics of the new translation (remember the “what if we just said wait” business?) will drag their feet in order to maximize the bow shock, hoping that a fusillade of articles predicting problems combined with poor catechesis will produce actual problems and force a reversal. So start telling people right away, start nudging them (because many people don’t know this is happening) that this is happening, and help get the changes in front of them. The USCCB website has many useful resources, most useful of all being the full order of Mass. Also, I have a chart showing the changes in the people’s parts that—at risk of immodesty—I think is an improvement on USCCB’s, insofar as it presents the new and old translations alongside the authoritative latin text; that’s here, and I’ve received compliments about it.
 
Good news!

Now, question:

Does this mean we will begin practicing the new translation on the First Sunday of 2011. or are we going to know it before then? In other words, when will parishes in the U.S. begin practicing with their parishioners?
I envision everyone standing there with brand new missals reading along for the first six months or so. At least, that’s my plan. Speaking of which, I wonder when the new missals will come out. I’ve got an Amazon gift card waiting specifically for that purpose.
 
I am very, very happy that we now have a date. Hopefully the detractors will cease and desist so we can focus on implementation. I wish it was sooner but thrilled it wasn’t later than predicted.
 
I envision everyone standing there with brand new missals reading along for the first six months or so. At least, that’s my plan. Speaking of which, I wonder when the new missals will come out. I’ve got an Amazon gift card waiting specifically for that purpose.
We use missalettes so I can’t justify the cost of a new missal. 😦 Besides, with a Nov. 2011 implementation date, I don’t expect to see any diocisan education program here until at least then. We already had an article in the diocisan CCE newsletter about how the new translation makes it harder for people to understand the Mass and is a step backwards. :mad::mad: I can’t imagine it being widely used, let alone required in our diocese for several years. We are still “phasing in” RS.
 
I was hoping for this year, but I’m happy that there is now a firm date. Praise be to God for the new Missal. His servent Pope John Paul II started a wonderful thing.
 
Are copies available now?
Yes.
We use missalettes so I can’t justify the cost of a new missal.
You can download it here
Besides, with a Nov. 2011 implementation date, I don’t expect to see any diocisan education program here until at least then.
That would be a horrible mistake that will only sow confusion and anger among the faithful.
We already had an article in the diocisan CCE newsletter about how the new translation makes it harder for people to understand the Mass and is a step backwards.
This is exactly the kind of thing that leads me to be cynical about the willingness of the critics to be humble, gracious, and obedient. No one should have written that article, and no diocese should have published it. The new translation has been a done deal for quite some time; the only reason to criticize it is, again, to sow confusion and anger among the faithful.
I can’t imagine it being widely used, let alone required in our diocese for several years.
It will not be optional, as I understand it. It will be required for use in all dioceses starting next fall on the first sunday in advent.
I beat you by an hour, Simon. You should have read my breaking news thread.
My apologies; you did indeed and I should have.
 
Here are some of the changes that will supposedly be made:
  1. “The Lord be with you” / “And also with you” will become “The Lord be with you” / “And with your spirit”
  2. “Lord, I am not worthy to receive you” will become “Lord, I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof”
  3. “We believe” will change to “I believe” in the Nicene Creed
  4. “He was born of the Virgin Mary” would become “by the Holy Spirit was incarnate of the Virgin Mary.”
  5. In the Penitential Rite, "through my own fault’’ will change to "through my fault, through my fault, through my most grievous fault.’’
  6. "Holy, holy, holy Lord, God of power and might’’ will become "Holy, Holy, Holy is the Lord God of hosts.’’
  7. In the Gloria, “peace to his people on earth” becomes “peace on earth to people of good will.”
  8. “You take away the sin of the world” becomes “You take away the sins of the world” because the Latin peccata is plural.
  9. People are to be reminded to make a profound bow in the Creed during the words: “and by the Holy Spirit became incarnate of the Virgin Mary, and was made man.”
  10. In the Orate Fratres (Pray my brothers and sisters that) will change the next few words from “our sacrifice” to “my sacrifice and yours”.
  11. During the Consecration, the priest will say: “Again he gave you thanks and praise, gave the cup to his disciples, and said….” The new translation changes to to more closely follow the Latin: “…taking also this noble cup into his holy and venerable hands, once more giving him thanks, he blessed it and gave it to his disciples, saying…”
  12. The Acclamation “Christ has died, Christ has risen, Christ will come again" will become “We proclaim your death, O Lord, and profess your resurrection until you come." This again follows the Latin.
  13. “Look with favour upon these offerings and accept them as once you accepted the gifts of your servant Abel…” will become “Be pleased to look on them with a favourable and kindly face and to accept them, as you were pleased to accept the gifts of your servant Abel…”
  14. From Eucharistic Prayer III, “From age to age you gather a people to yourself, so that from east to west a perfect offering may be made to the glory of your name" will become “…you never cease to gather a people to yourself, so that from the rising of the sun to its setting a pure oblation may be offered to your name”
  15. The introduction to the Our Father currently is “Jesus taught us to call God our Father, and so we have the courage to say." It will become “Taught by commands that bring salvation and formed by the divine instruction, we have the courage to say.”
  16. The priest’s own words before receiving Holy Communion currently are “Lord Jesus Christ, with faith in your love and mercy I eat your body and drink your blood. Let it not bring me condemnation, but health in mind and body.” It will change to “May receiving your Body and Blood, Lord Jesus Christ, not bring me to judgment and condemnation, but through your love and mercy let it be my protection in mind and body, and a healing remedy.”
  17. “This is the Lamb of God who takes away the sins of the world. Happy are those who are called to his supper" will change slightly to “Behold the Lamb of God who takes away the sins of the world. Blessed are those who are called to his supper.”
acatholiclife.blogspot.com/2006/06/its-done-usccb-approves-changes.html
 
Here are some of the changes that will … be made: … “Lord, I am not worthy to receive you” will become “Lord, I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof”
It’s not only a better translation of the latin, it makes clear that this prayer is rooted in Christ’s encounter with the centurion. (This change doesn’t affect me because I say it in latin anyway.)
"Holy, holy, holy Lord, God of power and might’’ will become "Holy, Holy, Holy is the Lord God of hosts.’’
He is a God of power and might, to be sure, and that’s not a bad prayer—but what it isn’t is the sanctus, which says “Holy, Holy, Holy Lord God of hosts.” And as with the domine non sum dignus, the 1973 mistranslation obscures the scriptural root of the prayer (in this case, in Isaiah).
“You take away the sin of the world” becomes “You take away the sins of the world” because the Latin peccata is plural.
This isn’t actually a change. The 1973 translation correctly renders it “sins,” but it seems all-but ubiquitously misspoken, particularly when singing. This is a splendid opportunity to help people get it right.
The Acclamation “Christ has died, Christ has risen, Christ will come again" will become “We proclaim your death, O Lord, and profess your resurrection until you come." This again follows the Latin.
Not quite. The option “Christ has died, Christ has risen, Christ will come again" has been deleted. The option " Dying you destroyed our death, rising you restored our life. Lord Jesus, come in glory" has been re-translated as “We proclaim your death, O Lord, and profess your Resurrection until you come again.”
From Eucharistic Prayer III, “From age to age you gather a people to yourself, so that from east to west a perfect offering may be made to the glory of your name" will become “…you never cease to gather a people to yourself, so that from the rising of the sun to its setting a pure oblation may be offered to your name”
Which, again, makes clearer the scriptural root of the prayer, in this case Psalm 113.
The introduction to the Our Father currently is “Jesus taught us to call God our Father, and so we have the courage to say." It will become “Taught by commands that bring salvation and formed by the divine instruction, we have the courage to say.”
Some priests habitually omit the preface. Like the agnus dei, this is an opportunity to correct that for the future without having to say they’re doing anything wrong now.
“This is the Lamb of God who takes away the sins of the world. Happy are those who are called to his supper" will change slightly to “Behold the Lamb of God who takes away the sins of the world. Blessed are those who are called to his supper."
Which is a much better translation, and many priests seem to instinctively use “behold” already. The latin is “ecce”—always and everywhere translated into English as “behold.” Always and everywhere, that is, except by the ICEL. Why they felt free to improvise new prayers roughly in the spirit of the actual text is beyond me.
 
I believe it can be used by parishes that get it before the 2011 date, but all MUST be using it by that time
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top