MERGED: Is eating fish on Friday REALLY a penance/Over fishing

  • Thread starter Thread starter chrisetree
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Many varieties of fish are also farm raised. Although that might bring with it other causes for concern, for many in underprivileged nations, fish farming helps them out of poverty. Our youth group went to South America to help a community build a talipia farm that has been a boon for this poor group of people and they were able to build a school and better housing.
 
For me fish is one of my favorite foods. So giving up fish is not a penance. I usually eat eggs, grilled cheese sandwiches, veggie pizza, salads. There are many non-meat foods that can be replaced.

The purpose of abstinence is penance. It is not to be legalistic.
Thank you! I dont think this is stressed enough.

Abstaining is about doing penance. We are told to not eat meat.

It’s not about eating fish.

It’s about what to abstain from. Not what to eat.
 
I wonder if eating fish is really the way to go, as far as giving up meat? Considering we are over-fishing our oceans at the moment, shouldn’t we be also giving up fish and eating something else? Say, lentils?
the Church does not now and never has required anyone to eat fish at any time
if you personally are concerned about the issue, research fish such as haddock that are not now at risk for overfishing, or for contamination it that is your issue.
 
which is more penance …to eat a 99 cent cheeseburger or to eat a lobster dinner?
 
why is it a False dilemmea? I was just faced with this on friday. I could order a cheeseburger for 99 cents or go with my friend to red lobster. He orderd lobster and I ordered a fish sandwich. So I ended up paying more, eating a delicious fish sandwich, when really for 99 cents i could have had a gut buster.

so which one was more penance? IMHO, I think eating the cheeseburger.
 
why is it a False dilemmea? I was just faced with this on friday. I could order a cheeseburger for 99 cents or go with my friend to red lobster. He orderd lobster and I ordered a fish sandwich. So I ended up paying more, eating a delicious fish sandwich, when really for 99 cents i could have had a gut buster.

so which one was more penance? IMHO, I think eating the cheeseburger.
I doubt you were faced with those two options alone.

Alternatively, staying home and preparing a simple meal.

Or plumping for fries instead of the burger.
 
I was faced to those two options in regards I was having a social date.

Again, which one was more of a penance?
 
I was faced to those two options in regards I was having a social date.

Again, which one was more of a penance?
I am not familiar with the US so bare with me.

You had the option of going to a place that only sells $.99 cheeseburgers and a place that only sells lobster dinners?

If that’s the case then I’d probably have abstained from eating unless this social meeting was in some way physically strenuous.
 
ok let’s break it down to simpler terms;

let’s say you love potatoes.
and you hate yorkshire pudding.

and the special of the day at your local english pub is Yorkshire pudding.

are you going to order the potatoes or the yorkshire pudding?

would really, really like to know your answer.
 
ok let’s break it down to simpler terms;
Okie dokie, break it down for me mate.
let’s say you love potatoes.
I do
and you hate yorkshire pudding.
Puddings. It’s not a pudding like you think.
and the special of the day at your local english pub is Yorkshire pudding.
I don’t drink at ‘‘my local English pub’’, I prefer the Tanzanian one. What now?
are you going to order the potatoes or the yorkshire pudding?

would really, really like to know your answer.
I wouldn’t be at the pub drinking on a day of penitence.

Incidentally, both Yorkshire puds and spuds are side dishes to be served with meat. Which I wouldn’t be eating either.
 
oh yeah, and your free rice link is stupid and filled with advertising.
 
still can’t admit I won eh?
whatever, i think you are the desperate troll!
 
free rice what a joke. yeah, you are gonna solve the world’s starvation problem.
 
chrisee:It could be that eating meat was more common at the time and fewer people ate fish.I agree in this day and age giving up meat as a penance as lost its value.Try giving up something you usually eat on Fridays but obey the rule for meat also.
 
why is it a False dilemmea? I was just faced with this on friday. I could order a cheeseburger for 99 cents or go with my friend to red lobster. He orderd lobster and I ordered a fish sandwich. So I ended up paying more, eating a delicious fish sandwich, when really for 99 cents i could have had a gut buster.

so which one was more penance? IMHO, I think eating the cheeseburger.
Its not so much about the price. and it’s also about your attitude towards it…being obedient as well.

I myself…like tuna fish…but that’s what I eat for lunch on Fridays…I would never eat anything like lobster or crab (both of which I love) on Friday. But it always seems like during Lent…I always crave a Bacon/Cheeseburger on Friday…

You seem really hung up on this and looking for a way out…
 
Trolling.

The idea of giving up meat was a move of solidarity with the poor. The poor could often not afford meat or animals that provided meat. The poor had to fish for food. The practice has carried on into today. I do think it should be changed, but there’s nothing wrong with the penitential attitude in which it thrives.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top