D
De_Maria
Guest
Do you merit salvation by faith alone?
Though some believe such things… NOT!Do you merit salvation by faith alone?
I’m certainly in agreement with that answer. Thanks.According to SOME–not all–Protestants, yes. That belief is in accord with the strict sola fide and once-saved-always-saved Calvinist notion, based on double predestination. While there are certain scriptural passages that lend support to the idea that good works do not suffice for salvation, there are several others that reject the sola fide notion. In fact, many Protestants, such as Luther himself, define true faith in terms of faith manifested by works. This is also the Catholic meaning of faith. In other words, while dogmatic faith is essential, it can only be complete through acts of charity. Judaism also believes in faith, but is still more of an orthoprax religion, and so works of charity are primary. I recall the passage from the Hebrew Bible: “Studying is not the ultimate, but the doing.”
I’m surprised that you are Catholic and would give that answer. Let me ask you, who is the Judge? You or God?Though some believe such things… NOT!
None of us merits Salvation!
If it comes with a condition, then in what way is it free?Salvation is a free Gift (St. John 1:1-14; 3:16-21 and 15:1-10) which comes with but one condition (“If you love Me, keep my Commandments.”)
What can we contribute, if according to you, we have nothing of merit?…the best that we can do is contribute,
And you as well,in Christ, by building on the Rock!
Maran atha!
Amen!Angel
With the true definitions of merit and faith, one could say that the answer to your question is yes.Do you merit salvation by faith alone?
I couldn’t have said it better myself. Thanks.With the true definitions of merit and faith, one could say that the answer to your question is yes.
There are two kinds of merit. One means “I did this so God owes me”. The other means something more like “God said that if I do this then he’ll give me that, and I did what he said. He doesn’t owe me anything because the only reason I had the opportunity and ability was because he gave them to me, but he said he’d give me a reward so he will.” The second kind is what we’re talking about.
Faith is an act of the will by which one adheres to God. It is a work which we can do only by his grace.
What James was talking about and what Protestants are talking about when they use the word faith, is not faith at all. Merely believing that God exists or that Jesus is the Messiah is not faith. That would be like saying that I can be faithful to my wife merely by believing that she exists.
It’s not possible to separate faith from works, because faith is a work. It’s something you do, by the grace of God.
nobody merits salvationDo you merit salvation by faith alone?
Agreed!Free gifts can be rejected-otherwise we’d believe in universal salvation.
Hm? You mean as far as whether He rewards or punishes? I’d have to agree.So what we do counts, in Gods economy, for His own reasons, whether our part is a response of works alone, faith alone, love alone, or some combination of those or other conditions yet.
Sorry. I actually was hoping Protestants would bite. That’s why I added the word, “alone”.Hi,
The question is confusing.
Initial faith is not merited since it is a free gift from God and the Bible says faith is a gift
from God. Gift is contrary to earn.
Sounds like you got that straight from the Catechism. Agreed!Merit means earn. Only after we have faith can we merit since faith makes it possible
to merit and without faith therefore we cannot merit. Faith, which we accept thru baptism, makes us children of our heavenly Father, temples of the Holy Spirit, and
brothers to Jesus Christ. This makes it possible to merit grace because now our actions become pleasing to God. After accepting the gift of faith, our status has been elevated
to the divine in which the Father says,“this is my beloved son in whom I am well pleased.”
“Abba, Father.” Paul’s appreciation of his new relationship faith brings.
“He must increase, I must decrease.” Paul’s realization of the meaning of faith and works.
I like the way you put that. Thanks.Faith without works is dead. That much is clear.
Faith begins to have merit when it approaches the fullness of faith - faithfullness, when we begin to be faith-full, to actually do what we claim we believe.
Christ was full of faith - faithful, and gave his life to prove it. We are called to imitate that faith.
-Tim-
Amen! I can’t add to a beautifully expressed confession. But if I might comment. I believe we exercise our faith “apart from our works” everytime we submit to the mighty works of God which we call the Sacraments.I believe it is St. Paul who teaches us to “work out your salvation in fear and trembling” paraphrase. So, we are directed to take personal and direct action toward achieving heaven. And, in our limited understanding of GOD, we all reach a level of knowing and understanding which is blocked by our ignorance, such as “the TRINITY” and “the True Presence of the BODY and BLOOD” within the Eucharist.
Therefore, we likewise all reach a level where to continue our journey of working out our salvation, we must rely completly and totally on faith and faith alone, as there is no action, no formula to explain or make clear the “how or why” of the TRINITY or TRUE PRESENCE.
So, there is merit in faith alone, and it is as GOD has designed. And there is merit in taking culpable and personal actions/works in pursuing our goal of heaven. Faith and good works is as GOD has designed.
In all the arguments about faith alone, faith vs works, how much merit there is in faith and so forth, Catholics have to remember that Faith is one of the three theological virtues which are clearly defined by Holy Mother the Church. The Catechism tells us what it is and how it fits into our salvation:
***-Faith-
1814 Faith is the theological virtue by which we believe in God and believe all that he has said and revealed to us, and that Holy Church proposes for our belief, because he is truth itself. By faith “man freely commits his entire self to God.” For this reason the believer seeks to know and do God’s will. “The righteous shall live by faith.” Living faith “workthrough charity.”
1815 The gift of faith remains in one who has not sinned against it.But “faith apart from works is dead”: when it is deprived of hope and love, faith does not fully unite the believer to Christ and does not make him a living member of his Body.
1816 The disciple of Christ must not only keep the faith and live on it, but also profess it, confidently bear witness to it, and spread it***: “All however must be prepared to confess Christ before men and to follow him along the way of the Cross, amidst the persecutions which the Church never lacks.” Service of and witness to the faith are necessary for salvation: “So every one who acknowledges me before men, I also will acknowledge before my Father who is in heaven; but whoever denies me before men, I also will deny before my Father who is in heaven.”
Faith must be living to have any merit. Faith without works is dead. Once your faith becomes “Active”, it has merit. But faith seperated from the service to God with Christ as the model is dead.
The sacraments of Christian initiation - Baptism, Confirmation, the Eucharist - are what help enable us to become active believers.
-Tim-
The Bible teaches precisely the opposite. The Bible teaches that some have made a shipwreck of their faith:I am not looking to argue, but I am here to learn.
Where in the Holy Bible does it teach: “Once saved always saved”?
Again, it says quite the opposite. First:Where does the Holy Bible teach: “Saved by faith alone”?
Yes.Also, again I am not here to argue. And, are we allowed to discuss these topics?
Thanks!
I do not think I will be answering, but would like to read the answers of others.
And you as well,Again, thanks and God Bless