Merit thru Good Deeds: is quantity or quality better?

  • Thread starter Thread starter IwishIknew
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I

IwishIknew

Guest
I live a life where there is an endless supply of good deeds that can be done on any given day with many recipients ready to accept all that I can give (and more - my “neighbors” can be quite demanding in fact).

Each day, I could choose to do 50-70 good deeds rushing from one to the other suffering by setting commitments with the recipients of my good deeds that I will get them all done. Then I can offer up the great effort poured into delivering these good deeds as a suffering or victimhood to Jesus the Victim who carried his Heavy Cross. When I behave like this, I essentially make myself a holy servant/slave with head bowed.

Or

I could choose to do 5-10 good deeds and do them rather slowly at a loving pace giving space in my head to imagine a smiling Jesus present watching me carry out each good deed, leaving the other good deeds to another day/time in God’s Providence. When I behave like this, essentially I keep my dignity and feel more like a loving brother to Jesus (rather than a suffering slave).

Which approach would likely be holier in God’s eyes?
 
Almsgiving is Okay, but do it respecting the Dignity
OF THE RECEPIENT as God gives generously to
all WITHOUT FINDING FAULT(See James 1:5)!
We ought to TREASURE the Poor Christians, because
God HAS CHOSEN them to be rich in faith!(James 2:5).
 
It is the LOVE with which you do good deeds that matters. As St. Therese said, “To pick up a pin for love can convert a soul.”
 
Thanks for your replies. Are there any thoughts or ideas out there that can help guide me here because I am conflicted on this matter?

Part of me thinks to suffer in generous toil to the degree of being overwhelmed, exhausted, slumped over - like a slave - is similar to Christ voluntarily carrying His Cross step by step up the bloody hill.

The other part of me things being like a small loving child who does a few good deeds with great love is a much better approach, leaving the many other possible good deeds behind and not to worry about. This seems similar much of Christ’s guidance (to the apostles with the child, to Mary sister of Martha).

Further thoughts?
 
IWishIKnew, I know what’s bothering you,
you are AFRAID that you will lose control
when you give yourself wholly to God in
service, so that people will say you are
“Out of your mind!”. JESUS’ family said
HE was our of His mind when they saw
Him ministering and healing everyone!!!
See Mark 3:21
 
Thank you for attempting to answer, but in actuality, that is not it.

My challenge is discerning which is better: giving to the point of exhaustion (example: Jesus carrying the heavy cross beaten down), or giving with a temperate pace filled with love (akin to Mary Magdalene lovingly visiting with Jesus, or picking up that small pin with lots of love to save a soul as mentioned above). I have this choice every day.

Which does the audience think is better given the following choice: lots of suffering offered up with a little heartfelt love, or a little suffering given with great heartfelt love?
 
If you ask for God’s guidance when you wake up in the morning, and put yourself in His hands, then for the rest of the day do everything with love in your heart, how could you go wrong? It must be what God wanted / guided / arranged for you to do.
 
If you ask for God’s guidance when you wake up in the morning, and put yourself in His hands, then for the rest of the day do everything with love in your heart, how could you go wrong? It must be what God wanted / guided / arranged for you to do.
Thank you for your answer which if I am understanding correctly would be a vote for “quality”. 🙂
 
To help encourage more responses, here is a parable that helps make this question more tangible.

Two men used to walk a trail in the forest daily giving to God for an hour.

One did so by looking down and picking up the litter and poop left by all the others every day. Because the trail was long and there were many dog droppings and much filthy and sharp pieces of garbage, the volunteer effort was disgusting and not enjoyable in the least. Nevertheless at the end of his walk, he would offer this selfless suffering up each morning to God, leaving behind a clean trail.

The second Man (who walked the trail at a different time of day) did so by looking up and singing with his heart in union with the many birds and squirrels that were within sight - marveling at the beauty of the trees and the sky and thanking God for such blessings.

Both men voluntarily chose how to spend their time on the trail. Both pleased God - but which man pleased Him more?
 
Thank you for your answer which if I am understanding correctly would be a vote for “quality”. 🙂
I think you’re asking the wrong question.

God might ask you for quality, or he might ask you for quantity. If you trust God with your life, you might end up doing either or both. In any case, always do it with love in your heart.

IMHO.
 
I think you’re asking the wrong question.

God might ask you for quality, or he might ask you for quantity. If you trust God with your life, you might end up doing either or both. In any case, always do it with love in your heart.

IMHO.
This is actually for the scenario where God is not specifically asking me to do either, but to choose (see the parable above if that helps)… For someone like me, God typically leaves the door wide open to choose how I want to love and/or generously suffer. So it is the right question for me - not the wrong question. 🙂
 
This is actually for the scenario where God is not specifically asking me to do either, but to choose (see the parable above if that helps)… For someone like me, God typically leaves the door wide open to choose how I want to love and/or generously suffer. So it is the right question for me - not the wrong question. 🙂
I’m suggesting that any answer is the right answer if you ask for and accept God’s help in making the decision, and then do it with love in your heart.

It is not the tangible results of our choices that pleases God, it’s the spirit in which we do it.

Be thankful that God is giving you so many ways to be holy. 🙂

“Should I pick up poop on the trail, or should I build a cathedral? Which is better?”

St. Therese had much to say on this general subject - I can’t tell you where exactly to look, but if this subject continues to bother you, St. Therese probably has the answer!
 
I’m suggesting that any answer is the right answer if you ask for and accept God’s help in making the decision, and then do it with love in your heart.

It is not the tangible results of our choices that pleases God, it’s the spirit in which we do it.

Be thankful that God is giving you so many ways to be holy. 🙂

“Should I pick up poop on the trail, or should I build a cathedral? Which is better?”

St. Therese had much to say on this general subject - I can’t tell you where exactly to look, but if this subject continues to bother you, St. Therese probably has the answer!
Thank you, yes, St. Theresa is definitely a promoter of actions with love. If we overburden ourselves with rushed, hurried actions focusing on quantity rather than quality, love can be easily lost during the task and we can become miserable suffering slaves.
 
Thank you, yes, St. Theresa is definitely a promoter of actions with love. If we overburden ourselves with rushed, hurried actions focusing on quantity rather than quality, love can be easily lost during the task and we can become miserable suffering slaves.
I don’t think that’s what she said. 🤷

It looks like you want the answer to be “quality rather than quantity” - even though that comparison is beside the point. Or perhaps you though you were posing a rhetorical question.

Mother Teresa and St. Jose Maria Escriva are also good references.
 
I have heard a VERY spiritual preacher say:
“God will move heaven and earth to let you
know His will”.
My personal experience is, that WE can decide
what God’s will for us is(Rom. 12:2). AND, the
more I know God, the more I draw near to Him,
(James 4:8) the more I know what His will will
look like, He who is merciful, righteous and just!!!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top