Messages from God

• Thread starter Thread starter SharonL
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

SharonL

Hi

Do any of you receive messages from the Holy Spirit after praying? I have received a few of them over the years, and I would like to know what others experience in this area. Do you hear an audible voice, or is it more of an interior “knowing” or sensation?

:blessyou:

Usually it is an interior voice with clear instructions.
It usually isn’t wordy but very concise and to the point yet without condemnation. You need to do______ and . You need to call____________about______. In this last case I wasn’t even sure who this person was exactly, he is a member of my parish but I didn’t know at the time he was directly involved with what I was supposed to see him about.
If I ignore it the instructions they will be repeated over the next few days until I do what I have been told.

This doesn’t happen a lot.
Probably 2 or 3 times in the last 9 months.

Dreams Dreams DREAMS! Confusing, twisted backwards upsidedowns dreams that would make you go nuts.:banghead: And sometimes some clear ones. :rotfl:

I believe God has spoken to me on several occasions. It wasn’t really a voice, as I didn’t hear it aloud. It was more like a thought that I knew was not my own. I have heard Him during times of distress, when I’m praying the rosary, and when making difficult decisions.

I find that most of my messages are not in the form of words, by rather entire concepts bubling up from my subconcious leading me in what I should do. I take care to try to discern that they are from God.

This meditation “Listening to God” might help.

Oh I love this question, as I do believe I receive messages from God and my friends think I am a wacky doodle.

Like MS Cilantro’s post, I do get very distinct clear messages like a deep inner voice that is not too detailed. Actually, not detail at all but like…“soon” or “you will have that but you need to wait”, or “not now”.

This usually comes when I am very quietly praying or when I awake in the middle of the night before I fall back to sleep. I hear the “voice” in my heart, not my head, so then I know it is God.

I have also been sent rainbows with the message “hope”, and found a rose petal at Adoration at the place where I sit and pray. I believe the rose petal was from Our Lady telling me she heard me.

A few times, God told me (inner voice) about a Psalm to read.

God is great!

A very easy way to get messages (not necessarily all messages will be from God):

Get a pencil and pad of paper. And then get on your knees to pray for 15 minutes. Every time you get a distracting thought write it down. And then continue to pray.

Everyone gets distracted in prayer.

Bishop Sheen tells a story of Saint Bernard:

Saint Bernard had a friend once who told him he never had any distractions. Saint Bernard confessed to having trouble with them. The two were out horseback riding when Saint Bernard said, “I will give you this horse, if you can say the Our Father without distraction. Now, get off your horse and say the Our Father.” His friend got as far as the words, “Give us this day our daily bread”, when he looked up at Saint Bernard and asked, “Can I have the saddle too?”

Like MS Cilantro’s post, I do get very distinct clear messages like a deep inner voice that is not too detailed. Actually, not detail at all but like…“soon” or “you will have that but you need to wait”, or “not now”.
This sort of thing happens to me fairly often. Most of the time it will be in the form of one word. I will be praying for something, or worried about how something is going to turn out. I will very distinctly hear the word “patience” or “faith” in my mind, even while I’m thinking about something else.

I must honestly say that I have never heard the audible voice of God speaking to me. However, I have noticed that sometimes I am really stuggling with something, and the reading at Church or in my daily Bible reading is directly related to my struggle. I believe that the primary way that God speaks to me is through His Word.

However, I do believe that some people do hear the audible voice of God.

In Christ’s Love,
Nick

Mine have never been in the form of a word…but a very deep overwhelming feeling during prayer or almost always at mass just before the Eucharist…I will shed tears without a warning. I know that God or the Holy Spirit is trying to tell me something.
Boy!..I’m glad this post came up and that others here have shared their inner most feeling about this simply b/c I was afraid to tell my friends or family as they might think I’m cuckoo!:whacky:

The times I have felt the Holy Spirit leading come mostly out of my thoughts. sometimes from reading and praying…
Once when I was ‘journaling’ I wrote down my thoughts of what I had seen in my mind during my prayer time… Jesus was planting a bud of a rose in my chest, which very green and hadn’t started to open yet… It was rather confusing because it was so real!
I confided in a Protestant friend of mine, who loves the lord very dearly. She asked me if I had ever read the book Hinds’* Feet on High Places* by Hannah Hurnard.* *I hadn’t. She lent it to me and the main character’s name was “Muchafraid” and a similar thing happened to her….

Well, It brought me to my knees in tears because that was the beginning of my healing from fear…. Annunciata:) God is Good!

40.png
kayla:
Boy!..I’m glad this post came up and that others here have shared their inner most feeling about this simply b/c I was afraid to tell my friends or family as they might think I’m cuckoo!:whacky:
I am also glad to hear I am not nutsy…just blessed! - Or simply listening now and maybe didn’t before.

Yes! Many times!! We should expect it. It should never be a suprise to us unless we think we are not being listened to in the first place. 😉 Anyway, a one sided conversation is always difficult to maintain!
With me it may occurs as an insight or a light of understanding. A bright and beautiful light which He shines on my understanding. He gives an impulse to my will and then the will feels itself all burning with love for its Lord and God.
I know these are from the Holy Spirit as these communications are always accompanied by a ‘burning’ of the heart just as the disciples felt on the road to Emmaus.
I have said before that the Holy Spirit works in silence and for a very good reason too! Satan is always listening so the Holy Spirit communicates in silence affecting the will and the understanding.

Only on two occassions did I become aware internally of words and exact details. They were sent from our Blessed Mother. There is a difference! 🙂
I stress though that I have never heard anything externally audiable, I just became aware of the formulations.

God Bless,
Fergal
Naas
Ireland

It was interesting to hear all of your replies. I too have experienced a type of burning sensation in my heart, which is where I also hear the messages. Like some of you, this doesn’t occur very often - usually during times of stress and strife. There was one particular message that I received about the future which was accompanied by a sudden knowledge of God’s power and an understanding of what eternity felt like. All of this took place in a split second. I felt very small and insignificant, and was in awe of His power.:bowdown2:
I remember thinking, “It must have been simple for Him to create the universe!”, while also realizing that my problems could be effortlessly solved in His eyes. What an eye opener THAT day was!

Question #2: After receiving a message, particularly about the future, do any of you experience doubts and/or suffering afterwards? I sure as heck do!

40.png
TheQuestioner:
Dreams Dreams DREAMS! Confusing, twisted backwards upsidedowns dreams that would make you go nuts.:banghead: And sometimes some clear ones. :rotfl:
I’ve had a few prophetic dreams in the past, but I haven’t had any in recent years. I miss them!:crying:

40.png
SharonL:
Question #2: After receiving a message, particularly about the future, do any of you experience doubts and/or suffering afterwards? I sure as heck do!
That is one reason to discern any message and determine its source. If it is God, trust in Him. If it not of God, let it go totally. If you do not know, pray on it until you do know.

If it has futuristic aspects, further discernment is important. Is it a warning of what might be? Is it a warning to prepare for what will be? Is it instructions so that you might be ready for what you have to do when it comes? Often, we will not truly understand God’s purpose with the message and have to surrender to him our lack of understand and trust in Him and His Will.

T.A.Stobie:
That is one reason to discern any message and determine its source. If it is God, trust in Him. If it not of God, let it go totally. It you do not know, pray on it until you do know.

If it has futuristic aspects, further discernment is important. Is it a warning of what might be? Is it a warning to prepare for what will be? Is it instructions so that you might be ready for what you have to do when it comes? Often, we will not truly understand God’s purpose with the message and have to surrender to him our lack of understand and trust in Him and His Will.
Thanks Thomas,
I was having a little difficulty trying to give an explanation to this…if it even needed one…taking heed to your suggestion on praying before posting… Annunciata:)

Sunday night or early Monday morning, I awoke (like I usually do every night) and looked at my alarm clock to see what time it was and the name JESUS appeared. Then I closed my eyes and then opened them and the time appeared. I can’t even remember what time it was. I felt safe and happy and went right back to sleep like a baby.

40.png
SharonL:
Hi Sharon,
I do get the doubts at times that maybe I did not really hear what I think my voice in my heart (God) said…but then it is my mind doubting things.
And I am certain WHO puts doubt into my head…the squirley devil.

So stand firm to what God put in your heart, not the devil in your mind. for the devil wants us to lose hope.

40.png
Annunciata:
The times I have felt the Holy Spirit leading come mostly out of my thoughts. sometimes from reading and praying…
Once when I was ‘journaling’ I wrote down my thoughts of what I had seen in my mind during my prayer time… Jesus was planting a bud of a rose in my chest, which very green and hadn’t started to open yet… It was rather confusing because it was so real!
I confided in a Protestant friend of mine, who loves the lord very dearly. She asked me if I had ever read the book Hinds’* Feet on High Places* by Hannah Hurnard.I hadn’t. She lent it to me and the main character’s name was “Muchafraid” and a similar thing happened to her….

Well, It brought me to my knees in tears because that was the beginning of my healing from fear…. Annunciata:) God is Good!
Just an up-date
another poster on another Thread just told me she hasn’t read this book in years and just took it out again and that it changed her life too! Annunciata:) p.s. Roberta, come tell your story

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back