Methodist Lesbian Minister Convicted

• Thread starter Thread starter dhgray
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dhgray

aolsvc.news.aol.com/news/article.adp?id=20041202070409990009

PUGHTOWN, Pa. (Dec. 2) - A jury made up of United Methodist Church clergy convicted a lesbian minister Thursday of violating church law by openly living with her partner in a committed relationship.

The Rev. Irene Elizabeth Stroud could be defrocked as a result of the ruling, which came on the second day of her church trial. The same 13-member jury was set to meet Thursday afternoon to decide her penalty.

Methodist law bars ‘‘self-avowed, practicing homosexuals’’ from ministry. Nine votes were necessary for a conviction and the jury voted 12-1 to find Stroud guilty.
The last time the 8.3 million-member denomination convicted an openly gay cleric was in 1987, when a New Hampshire church court defrocked the Rev. Rose Mary Denman.

Last March, a Methodist court in Washington state acquitted the Rev. Karen Dammann, who lives with a same-sex partner, citing an ambiguity in church law that the Methodist supreme court has since eliminated.

Before the jury returned, Stroud, 34, told reporters that whatever the verdict, ‘‘this case has shown how divided we are’’ over the role of gays in the church. She had expected to be convicted.

Stroud, associate pastor at Philadelphia’s First United Methodist Church of Germantown, set the case in motion last year when she announced to her bishop and congregation that she was living in a committed relationship with her partner, Chris Paige.

At her trial, Stroud’s defense was dealt a blow when the presiding judge Joseph Yeakel, the retired bishop of Washington, D.C., excluded expert testimony from six defense witnesses who believe the church’s gay clergy ban violates its own legal principles.

The senior pastor of Stroud’s church, the Rev. Alfred Day III, attempted to raise a similar issue when he took the stand, saying ‘‘I believe that even the testimony of Scripture is far from clear on this subject.’’
‘‘We have more muddle than clarity,’’ he said. But the prosecuting attorney, the Rev. Thomas Hall of Exton, Pa., asked Yeakel to strike Day’s statement and the judge instructed the jury that ‘‘constitutional issues are not before this court.’’

Stroud’s defense counsel, the Rev. J. Dennis Williams, said in closing arguments that ‘‘the heart of the issue is whether all United Methodists, regardless of status, are to be afforded equal rights and equal opportunities.’’

‘‘I only wish you could hear the full testimony we wished to present,’’ Williams said.

But Hall told jurors they had a duty to ‘‘hold a good pastor accountable to the standard with which we all live’’ under the Methodist Book of Discipline.

The basic facts in the case were never in dispute, since Stroud had declared she was gay.

The only two defense witnesses to be called were Day and the senior pastor who supervised her in West Chester, Pa. Both lavishly praised her performance in preaching, teaching and pastoral work. Hall agreed with that assessment.

Stroud’s supportive Philadelphia congregation has already agreed that she can continue doing her work as a lay employee without clergy status. However, she will be unable to celebrate baptism or Communion.

Well as a former Methodist I will say that the Church’s schizophrenic response to the issue of homosexual clergy was one reason I left. As you can see by this article, they can’t make up their mind and frankly I am surprised by this strong vote against this minister. I suspect it was in response to the recent mandate against gay marriage.

The Dauman case is closer to home as she is from the NW. First they said it was OK, then it wasn’t, then it was, then they prayed about it and although it is VERY CLEAR in the Book of Discipline that PRACTICING homosexuals are not allowed as clergy one of the tribunals reviewing the Dauman case waffled and said well it wasn’t clear. Yes it was. Sheesh! Even more digusting was that Dauman and her “partner” have a son. Gee what a great way to raise a BOY. A couple of lesbians surely can provide a great male role model. Call me digusted with the lot of them.

I am sure both of these women are kind, caring and probably effective in the pulpit. But the disdain they have for their own rules demonstrate a bit too much hubris for my taste. The reality is had they not called the question, not stomped into the Bishop’s office demanding he respond, they would not have even been bothered about it. There was a pretty well known “don’t ask don’t tell” policy in this church. In calling the question these women put their own ambition above the welfare of the church. It almost came down to a split at the last General Conference. (probably more than anyone wanted to know about Methodists).

Thank heavens I saw the light!

Lisa N

I’m glad they convicted her. Fortunately, down here in the South, most Methodists are anywhere from moderately conservative to very conservative and most I’m sure applaud the decision.

40.png
sarcophagus:
I just read on Yahoo that she was defrocked.
I read this afternoon that there is a possbility she may be. But since the trial just ended it hadn’t happened yet.

The first mistake: Ordaining a woman. The second mistake: Ordaining a homosexual. It’s funny how mistakes seem to follow one after another.

G. K. Chesteron wisely observed that where orthodoxy is optional, it eventually becomes forbidden.

– Mark L. Chance.

I don’t even understand why this stuff HAS to happen. No matter what denomination of Christianity you are, you should know that if you’re homosexual that it wouldn’t be wise to become a priest/minister. It should be a no-brainer because (correct me if I’m wrong) it’s there in black & white in the Bible. I’m not discouraging the fact that homosexuals could become ministers/priests, but you could at least not make it so obvious like this minister has.

40.png
wabrams:
I’m glad they convicted her. Fortunately, down here in the South, most Methodists are anywhere from moderately conservative to very conservative and most I’m sure applaud the decision.
HUGE difference on the west coast. I was in Florida and happened to hear an interesting religious program on the radio. I thought well that makes some sense. I was SHOCKED to find out it was Methodist. They are very very liberal on the west coast. It’s really a very socially concerned denomination. I greatly admire their big commitment to the poor, to missions, and to funding a very effective response to catastrophic events around the world. That’s what attracted me to this denomination when I was looking for a church.

OTOH they continue to waffle on abortion. Look at their website and you want to bring syrup. “Well we don’t LIKE abortion but we realize it’s sometimes necessary.” Then there was a big support of the “Women’s March for Lives” (assuming that wasn’t a baby’s life you were referring to). Once I saw that I left the church. I thought it was particularly odd that they equivocated less on the homosexual issue, which doesn’t KILL anyone, but they really waffle on abortion. I think it’s in that desire to please everyone (but God)

Lisa N

40.png
mlchance:
The first mistake: Ordaining a woman. The second mistake: Ordaining a homosexual. It’s funny how mistakes seem to follow one after another.

G. K. Chesteron wisely observed that where orthodoxy is optional, it eventually becomes forbidden.

– Mark L. Chance.
Mark, great quote by Chesterton. I’m going to put that into my “collection.”

Anyone else wonder that all three of these cases were lesbian? IOW why no homosexual male clergy involved?

Lisa N

Due to the recent court verdicts, the homosexual males might just be keeping silent to protect their pulpit.

Just an opinion

40.png
mkw:
Due to the recent court verdicts, the homosexual males might just be keeping silent to protect their pulpit.

Just an opinion
Lest you forget the Episipalians?

Just curious, how do any Christians so easily brush aside the Old Testament rules anyway? Is it just gays really, really wanting to be validated and the rest of them just trying to be “nice”? I mean like another poster said, it’s there in black and white.

Although I am not methodist and I am happy for this, the bad things must be prevented and romeved and this ordination of a lesbian is very sad, greetings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back