Midnight Mass question

  • Thread starter Thread starter ALLFORHIM
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

ALLFORHIM

Guest
Hello All,

I was wondering if anyone knows when and why midnight mass became such an important service on Christmas Eve?

While I was in the shower(Only quiet place I get)I was pondering this question. Like I have nothing else to think about:o But Im really not sure where midnight mass originated and it really seems to be a big deal in all denoms. Our church doesnt have one. I use to go when I was growing up.

Thanks
 
Hello All,

I was wondering if anyone knows when and why midnight mass became such an important service on Christmas Eve?

While I was in the shower(Only quiet place I get)I was pondering this question. Like I have nothing else to think about:o But Im really not sure where midnight mass originated and it really seems to be a big deal in all denoms. Our church doesnt have one. I use to go when I was growing up.

Thanks
Well, for us there is also Midnight Mass at Easter. It comes from these two days, and the events connected with them, being so central to our faith that we want to celebrate them at the earliest possible opportunity.

A non-religious equivalent might be waiting up for midnight on New Years Eve - there’s just a sense that the first day of a new year is such a significant event that we want to stay up and watch it happen 🙂
 
Well, for us there is also Midnight Mass at Easter. It comes from these two days, and the events connected with them, being so central to our faith that we want to celebrate them at the earliest possible opportunity.

A non-religious equivalent might be waiting up for midnight on New Years Eve - there’s just a sense that the first day of a new year is such a significant event that we want to stay up and watch it happen 🙂
Hi,

Well, that makes sense.😃
 
This probably belongs on the liturgy and sacraments forum, but here is my two cents:

I don’t know the details, but the tradition of the three Masses on Christmas (midnight, dawn, during the day) is very ancient. It occurs in the earliest monastic graduals with all the propers already in place, and when they were set to Gregorian Chant, those are some of the oldest and most beautiful chants.

Aside from the sheer joy of such celebration, it has been speculated that it had something to do with relieving the monotony and discomfort of European winters. Easter (though it has a vigil) takes place in the spring, and it has only one Mass.
 
I think some were celebrating their thanks and excitement by waiting for the moment when official celebration was allowed, which is opening moments of the day (midnight)
 
Hello All,

I was wondering if anyone knows when and why midnight mass became such an important service on Christmas Eve?

While I was in the shower(Only quiet place I get)I was pondering this question. Like I have nothing else to think about:o But Im really not sure where midnight mass originated and it really seems to be a big deal in all denoms. Our church doesnt have one. I use to go when I was growing up.

Thanks
Midnight Mass is the first Mass of Christmas Day, not Christmas Eve. Christmas Eve ends at 11:59:59. The Masses offered on Dec. 24 vigil Masses for Christmas Day.

Ken
 
This of course means that those who are going to Midnight Mass this year will be going to Mass twice in one day. First on Sunday morning for the Sunday obligation and then second just before midnight for Midnight Mass for Christmas Day. 😃 👍 We will be going Christmas morning. We have little ones and that’s simply too late for them. No there is no way to get a nap in before hand either. Afternoons and evenings on Christmas Eve are always busy for us with family get togethers. 😉 I always loved going to Midnight Mass. I’m looking forward to being able to go once the kids are older.
 
We will be going to Mass on Sunday, at the local N.O. parish - 4’th Sunday of Advent- wife goes at 8:30 AM and I will go at 11:00 AM.

Then we will all go- my wife, myself and my 3 kids- 2.5 yrs old, 1.5 yrs. old and 12 wks old to Midnight Mass at Mater Ecclesiae (see link below) which begins at 11:00 PM and lasts until 1:30 AM.

The good thing is that all three kids will be asleep by 11:00 which will keep us from having to deal with them during the Mass:D . We will bring our dual glider and other large coach for them to sleep in.

Ken
 
😃 Mine are 3 yr and 6 yr and it doesn’t work that easy for them. They wake up when they get moved out of their carseats. 😉 The 3 yr old is in a real stage right now any way. :rolleyes: I’d rather he be nice and rested when we go to Mass.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top