Might I be possesed?

  • Thread starter Thread starter lostcatholic88
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

lostcatholic88

Guest
I watched a show on EWTN the other night about exorcism and possesion. This bought up a huge question for me.
For the past three years I have had a very strong addiciton to porn.
I pray, go to confession, go to mass, wear the scapular, wear a crucifix, use Holy Water, and wear a St. Benedict medal, all with good and true faith.
But on the bus ride home this idea of porn implants itself in my head. I say prayers all the way home. When I get home I look at it anyway.
But the strange thing is, I can think about God, the Blessed Mother, etc. all while looking at it, but can’t stop.
After I feel really bad but sometimes go back the same day. Sometimes it happens three or four times if I have a day off.
I was wondering if I might have a demon in me.
Please Help!

~lostcatholic88
 
I am no expert on this, but I am interested on the responses…
 
After I feel really bad but sometimes go back the same day. Sometimes it happens three or four times if I have a day off.
I was wondering if I might have a demon in me.
Please Help!

~lostcatholic88
God knows.

But i know one thing: the sexual immoral will not get into Heaven.

Jesus said if your foot causes you to stumble, cut it off.

porn divorces sex from love (etc), objectifies/exploits human beings, who are created in God’s image. Whatever you do to humans you do to God (Matthew 25:31-46). Whatever you do to yourself, you do to God (Christ & the Holy Spirit).
 
God knows.

But i know one thing: the sexual immoral will not get into Heaven.

Jesus said if your foot causes you to stumble, cut it off.

porn divorces sex from love (etc), objectifies/exploits human beings, who are created in God’s image. Whatever you do to humans you do to God (Matthew 25:31-46). Whatever you do to yourself, you do to God (Christ & the Holy Spirit).
I don’t think that was very encouraging. I think you are just pushing lostcatholic88 deeper into doubt and confusion. 😦
 
I watched a show on EWTN the other night about exorcism and possesion. This bought up a huge question for me.
For the past three years I have had a very strong addiciton to porn.
I pray, go to confession, go to mass, wear the scapular, wear a crucifix, use Holy Water, and wear a St. Benedict medal, all with good and true faith.
But on the bus ride home this idea of porn implants itself in my head. I say prayers all the way home. When I get home I look at it anyway.
But the strange thing is, I can think about God, the Blessed Mother, etc. all while looking at it, but can’t stop.
After I feel really bad but sometimes go back the same day. Sometimes it happens three or four times if I have a day off.
I was wondering if I might have a demon in me.
Please Help!

~lostcatholic88
I would think that if you were possessed you wouldn’t be worried at all or feel guilty. The fact that you feel guilty and are worried means that you are trying to overcome your addiction. Sex addiction could be what it is an addiction . Do you think that all alcoholics are possessed?? No they are addicted to something. Go to a 12 step meeting that deals with sex addiction. I have my problems to. You want to stop I want to stop. my problem isn’t porn. But just as dangerous. God knows that you are trying and are worried Go to confession. Did you talk to your priest about it? Scoob.
 
Hi! Maybe this would help you in a way. This is from the Revelations of St. Birgitta of Sweden. Here’s the link saintbirgitta.com/revelations/book1/b1_chapter13.htm

**About how an enemy of God had three demons within him and about the sentence passed on him by Christ.

Book 1 - Chapter 13
**
My enemy has three demons within him. The first resides in his genitals, the second in his heart, the third in his mouth. The first is like a seaman, who lets water in through the keel, and the water, by increasing gradually, fills up the ship. There is a flood of water then, and the ship sinks. This ship stands for his body that is assailed by the temptations of demons and by his own lusts as though by storms. Lust entered first through the keel, that is, through the delight he took in bad thoughts. Since he did not resist through penance or fill the holes with the nails of abstinence, the water of lust grew day by day through his consenting.

The ship being then replete or filled with the concupiscence of the belly, the water flooded and engulfed the ship in lust so that he was unable to reach the port of salvation. The second demon, residing in his heart, is like a worm lying in an apple that first eats the apple’s core, and then, after leaving its excrements there, roams around inside the apple until the whole apple is ruined. This is what the devil does. First he spoils a person’s will and good desires, which are like the core where all the mind’s strength and goodness are found, and, once the heart has been emptied of these goods, then he puts in their place in the heart the worldly thoughts and affections that the person had loved more. He then impels the body itself toward his pleasure and, for this reason, the man’s courage and understanding diminish and his life becomes tedious. He is indeed an apple without a core, that is, a man without a heart, since he enters my church without a heart, because he has no charity.

The third demon is like an archer who, looking around through the windows, shoots the unwary. How can the devil not be in a man who is always including him in his conversation? That which is loved more is more frequently mentioned. The harsh words by which he wounds others are like arrows shot through as many windows as the number of times he mentions the devil or as many times as his words wound innocent people and scandalize simple folk. I who am the truth swear by my truth that I shall condemn him like a whore to fire and brimstone, like an insidious traitor to the mutilation of his limbs, like a scoffer of the Lord to perpetual shame. However, as long as his soul and body are still united, my mercy is open to him. What I require of him is to attend the divine services more frequently, not to be afraid of any reproach or desire any honor and never to have that sinister name on his lips again.
 
I watched a show on EWTN the other night about exorcism and possesion. This bought up a huge question for me.
For the past three years I have had a very strong addiciton to porn.
I pray, go to confession, go to mass, wear the scapular, wear a crucifix, use Holy Water, and wear a St. Benedict medal, all with good and true faith.
But on the bus ride home this idea of porn implants itself in my head. I say prayers all the way home. When I get home I look at it anyway.
But the strange thing is, I can think about God, the Blessed Mother, etc. all while looking at it, but can’t stop.
After I feel really bad but sometimes go back the same day. Sometimes it happens three or four times if I have a day off.
I was wondering if I might have a demon in me.
Please Help!

~lostcatholic88
According to Fr. Amorth, the Chief Exorcist of Rome,: "Demonic possession - This occurs when Satan takes full possession of the body (not the soul); he speaks and acts without the knowledge or consent of the victim, who therefore is morally blameless. "

So, you are not possessed. 🙂 The devils tempt you and you did what they asked you to do. You couldn’t sin without you willing it. I would suggest that you pray to St. Michael. He will defend you. Also pray the Rosary because it fights evil and decreases vice. Pray for God’s grace and mercy. Pray to Our Lady. Satan is afraid of her. Pray that all the angels and saints defend you and strengthen you in times of temptations so that you will not fall to sin.

But you should always remember that no matter how the angels and saints defend you from the demons, if you are determined to sin, they can’t do anything to stop you from sinning. They can’t stop you if you choose to sin. They can never force you. Your will is a gift from God. Use it for His glory. Desire Him only. Sacrifice your own pleasure for the Glory of God. I will pray for you. 🙂
 
I don’t think your possessed by demons I think you are only being tested of your beliefs and desires! I know for fact I am possessed and have been to a Monsignor for an exorcism but his eyes rolled into the back of his head so I didn’t go back! To comment on other peoples comments of it is immoral - I must say that it would be better to you know what to pictures of girls offering their pictorals for that than to lust for a girl/woman and do you know what to thoughts of her when she didn’t offer her pictorals for that! Men have sometimes what is called blue balls when excitement occurs and the problem isn’t taken care of! All people are tested and walk through firey pits in life from time to time! If spirits didn’t test you, the creator wouldn’t even know you or your desires and wouldn’t know what to do with you later! Lonesome lifes lead to those thoughts and maybe spirits want better for you later in life so they put you through thoughts now! I think at those times you should think more about how your going to find a significant other rather than just relieve yourself of physical problems through porn! Your religion is the best answer for your problem and you’ll find your answered questions in prayer! Listen to everyone but sometimes don’t speak! I am only Christian because of the experience I had with an Indiana exorcist in 2003 - 2004! I must say not even priests have all the answers! The creator meant for man and woman to be together for love and for life!
 
It is unlikely that you are possessed. However, you may be oppressed.
There is a difference between deliverance and exorcism. An exorcism can only be performed by an exorcist, a specially chosen priest. With a possession the demon has complete control.
Oppression is like being taken prisoner and bound. You are still your own person but need to be delivered, unbound from the sin, from the demon who is tormenting you with temptation.
 
You certainly have the habit, and need to retrain your mind and interests. You need to be thinking of others or praying for others. Instead of going to porn sites, perhaps you could become a prayer warrior in the Prayer Intentions section and pray for others instead of concentrating on self-issues. The more you’re busy fighting porn the more you’re focussing your mind on it. You need to direct you thoughts away…to go around it, not directly fight it.

Father, in Jesus’ name, please help all those who are tempted to porn and related sin. Please give them strength to resist to temptations against chastity.
Please urge them to avoid such occasions of sin as internet porn, each time temptation arises.
Please lead them to activities that honour You and benefit others and their own well-being.
Please surround their lives with Your light and love.

Our Father, Who art in heaven, hallowed be Thy Name.
Thy Kingdom come.
Thy Will be done, on earth as it is in Heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread.
And forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us.
And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil. Amen.

Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee
Blessed art thou amongst women
and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus.
Holy Mary, Mother of God pray for us sinners, now
and at the hour of our death. Amen

Saint Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle.
Be our safeguard against the wickedness and snares of the devil.
May God rebuke him, we humbly pray; and do you, O Prince of the heavenly host,
by the power of God cast into hell satan and all the evil spirits
who wander through the world seeking the ruin of souls. Amen
 
I watched a show on EWTN the other night about exorcism and possesion. This bought up a huge question for me.
For the past three years I have had a very strong addiciton to porn.
I pray, go to confession, go to mass, wear the scapular, wear a crucifix, use Holy Water, and wear a St. Benedict medal, all with good and true faith.
But on the bus ride home this idea of porn implants itself in my head. I say prayers all the way home. When I get home I look at it anyway.
But the strange thing is, I can think about God, the Blessed Mother, etc. all while looking at it, but can’t stop.
After I feel really bad but sometimes go back the same day. Sometimes it happens three or four times if I have a day off.
I was wondering if I might have a demon in me.
Please Help!

~lostcatholic88
Porn addiction often carries with it a demonic attachment. This does NOT mean you are possessed; there are levels of demonization other than possession such as obsession, oppression, etc. Generally demons will egg on a person who is addicted by tempting them to sin. What you said about an idea “implanting itself in your head” is very typical of how demons tempt. You can be minding your own business not having a single sexual thought, and all of the sudden you are assaulted with a strong temptation.

The best way to handle these temptations is to reject them at the thought. I find saying the Hail Mary is a powerful weapon against temptations. If you entertain the temptation in your mind, rather than rejecting it at once, you are likely to give in to it.

A couple suggestions, both found at saint-mike.org:

Visit the Catholic Support Group for Sexual Addiction Recovery, an online community where you may find help dealing with your addiction.

Visit the St. Pio Center for Deliverance Counseling and begin the Seven Steps to Self-Deliverance, which can be found on the Help page.
 
Father Euteneuer, author of ‘Exorcism and the Church Militant’ said on EWTN, people who think they are possessed are not possessed, when asked how he can tell who is genuinely possessed. He said it is almost certainly a friend or family member who goes to a Priest for help and not the person possessed.
 
@beckycmarie: Thank you very much for the links! I am getting some St. Benedict medals from the local monestary and some blessed salt to do the house exorcism thing. Thanks for the prayers

@trishi: thanks for the prayers!

@DebChris: thanks for clarifying!

@iWantToLoveHim: thanks!

thanks everyone else! 🙂
 
Porn addiction often carries with it a demonic attachment. This does NOT mean you are possessed; there are levels of demonization other than possession such as obsession, oppression, etc. Generally demons will egg on a person who is addicted by tempting them to sin. What you said about an idea “implanting itself in your head” is very typical of how demons tempt. You can be minding your own business not having a single sexual thought, and all of the sudden you are assaulted with a strong temptation.

The best way to handle these temptations is to reject them at the thought. I find saying the Hail Mary is a powerful weapon against temptations. If you entertain the temptation in your mind, rather than rejecting it at once, you are likely to give in to it.

A couple suggestions, both found at saint-mike.org:

Visit the Catholic Support Group for Sexual Addiction Recovery, an online community where you may find help dealing with your addiction.

Visit the St. Pio Center for Deliverance Counseling and begin the Seven Steps to Self-Deliverance, which can be found on the Help page.
I definitely agree with this. I’ve been where you are, lostcatholic88, and while it is not a possession, for me there was a demonic influence that kept those thoughts coming back no matter what I did. I persevered in fighting them for a very long time, and finally found relief. But you have the advantage of Confession, of the power of God brought to us through priests, and of sacramentals- I wasn’t Catholic when dealing with that mess. So you have some major advantages. It sounds like you’re using the sacramentals.

If you have any porn magazines, or magazines with even partially sexualized imagery of women (Victoria’s Secret or other), get rid of them. If you have websites linked in Favorites on the computer, delete them. You might even try turning off your computer completely for a week, if you access the images through that means. Closing doors through which temptation comes makes resisting the temptation a heck of a lot easier. This is part of what Jesus meant when He said, “if your hand causes you to sin, cut it off.” I’m applying it in my life now, in the various areas through which temptation comes, and it has done wonders for cleaning up my mind.

Keep going to Confession, and keep the risk-sources closed off. And ask a priest to pray for you and anoint you with oil, I’d recommend, for protection from evil forces. The priest has special authority from Jesus Christ to dispel entities that cause temptation. You might also ask him to bless your house and belongings (particularly your computer). But also make sure you close off all temptation areas. Including the computer, I’d recommend, if that’s a source of temptation.
 
I watched a show on EWTN the other night about exorcism and possesion. This bought up a huge question for me.
For the past three years I have had a very strong addiciton to porn.
I pray, go to confession, go to mass, wear the scapular, wear a crucifix, use Holy Water, and wear a St. Benedict medal, all with good and true faith.
But on the bus ride home this idea of porn implants itself in my head. I say prayers all the way home. When I get home I look at it anyway.
But the strange thing is, I can think about God, the Blessed Mother, etc. all while looking at it, but can’t stop.
After I feel really bad but sometimes go back the same day. Sometimes it happens three or four times if I have a day off.
I was wondering if I might have a demon in me.
Please Help!

~lostcatholic88
No. On listening to and reading numerous exorcists, they all say the same thing - if you keep to the Sacraments and Mass, Satan cannot enter you. This is not to say that it isn’t possible to be oppressed/obsessed by a demon in this case. Apparently, this happens all the time with those who allow the occult (porn is sinful, but not occult, unless it also shows worship of the d.) I think you are experiencing plain ole’ temptations, IMHO. If I were you I would discuss this with your confessor or SD.

Remember, God is much more powerful than Satan! “Be not afraid.” Develop a strong devotion to Mary and pray for her help in this. She is a model of purity! Consecrate yourself to her Son through her.
 
I don’t think your possessed by demons I think you are only being tested of your beliefs and desires! I know for fact I am possessed and have been to a Monsignor for an exorcism but his eyes rolled into the back of his head so I didn’t go back! To comment on other peoples comments of it is immoral - I must say that it would be better to you know what to pictures of girls offering their pictorals for that than to lust for a girl/woman and do you know what to thoughts of her when she didn’t offer her pictorals for that! Men have sometimes what is called blue balls when excitement occurs and the problem isn’t taken care of! All people are tested and walk through firey pits in life from time to time! If spirits didn’t test you, the creator wouldn’t even know you or your desires and wouldn’t know what to do with you later! Lonesome lifes lead to those thoughts and maybe spirits want better for you later in life so they put you through thoughts now! I think at those times you should think more about how your going to find a significant other rather than just relieve yourself of physical problems through porn! Your religion is the best answer for your problem and you’ll find your answered questions in prayer! Listen to everyone but sometimes don’t speak! I am only Christian because of the experience I had with an Indiana exorcist in 2003 - 2004! I must say not even priests have all the answers! The creator meant for man and woman to be together for love and for life!
Are you for real?
 
I watched a show on EWTN the other night about exorcism and possesion. This bought up a huge question for me.
For the past three years I have had a very strong addiciton to porn.
I pray, go to confession, go to mass, wear the scapular, wear a crucifix, use Holy Water, and wear a St. Benedict medal, all with good and true faith.
But on the bus ride home this idea of porn implants itself in my head. I say prayers all the way home. When I get home I look at it anyway.
But the strange thing is, I can think about God, the Blessed Mother, etc. all while looking at it, but can’t stop.
After I feel really bad but sometimes go back the same day. Sometimes it happens three or four times if I have a day off.
I was wondering if I might have a demon in me.
Please Help!

~lostcatholic88
First off, if you’re baptized and confirmed, you cannot be possessed. Period.

It sounds like you have a strongly rooted attachment to pornography. This is your besetting sin.

Do your best to struggle against it. Fall a dozen times a day, and get up and pray for forgiveness each time.

The Lord knows your intention, and your struggle.
 
First off, if you’re baptized and confirmed, you cannot be possessed. Period.
That is, provided you’re in a state of grace. A baptized and confirmed person has free will to choose sin and to choose to cooperate with demons and become possessed. After all, the Church performs exorcisms on Catholics. . .
 
That is, provided you’re in a state of grace. A baptized and confirmed person has free will to choose sin and to choose to cooperate with demons and become possessed. After all, the Church performs exorcisms on Catholics. . .
Oppression is much more common and likely.
That said, however, scripture warns about the house that has been cleared of demons. Upon returning, the demon finds it swept clean whereupon he invites seven worse than himself to join him.
For that reason, it is important that our house be occupied. When we are baptized and confirmed, Christ comes to dwell within us. The more we immerse ourselves in prayer, the less room there is for anybody other than Christ. Would Christ allow anybody else into His home?
Each of us is the temple of the Lord, and therefore called to keep it ready for the One to whom we belong
 
Don’t forget that our own minds can tie us up in knots. If we try not to think about something while getting really stressed out about it, sometimes it just makes us think about it more.

If something bad comes into your mind, think of it as a piece of trash floating down a stream that flows through your mind and then out again. Don’t hold onto it, don’t consent to it. Just ignore it and let it float right out of your mind again.

A lot of people are also helped by working up a short prayer, the kind you can say in a breath when you need help. Like “God, make my mind pure.” Or “Jesus, Mary, and Joseph.” Whatever works for you. Keep it short, so as not to get worked up about it and reinforce bad habits.

Just say the prayer, take out the trash, and don’t think about it once it’s sitting on the curb or out in the dumpster. 🙂 Lather, rinse, and repeat for as long as it takes. You’ve got time. Go to Confession often, talk to the priest, and keep working on it. With God’s help, you can do it.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top