Military son threatening to harm self-need prayers!

  • Thread starter Thread starter Pamtha
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I am praying for your son, Matthew, as well.

I am also an Army medic in the Reserves who has been overseas.

Couple things.
  1. Call the chaplain - the chaplain can call him, assess him, notify the commander (CO) and get him to mental health screening.
  2. DON"T call the company unless you don’t have a good response from the chaplain. The chaplain can handle everything confidentially about where he/she got the information. A call to the company might trigger those “Mommy called the CO” rumors that would just make your son’s life worse.
  3. If your son is in training i.e. Basic he may not have access to OTC medicaitons. Nor should he really self diagnose or self-treat… This is a bad thing to do. Many of those medications or “supplements” while beneficial for most people can have just the opposite effect on a small portion of the population. If he is having suicidal thoughts he needs to be handled by professionals. They are schooled on how to do it, how do it right, and how do it confindentially.
  4. If your son does end up leaving the military as an effect of all of this you IMMEDIATELY need to take him to a service organization such as American Legion or Disabled American Veterans. They will know how to file the correct paperwork in order to get your son the correct service connection percentage and follow up care from the VA. Regardless of what the ACTUAL DD 214 or discharge paper says this is not a be all end all for VA findings. VA and military are two seperate systems. However, as someone who volunteered as a service officer for three years doing claims after coming home from Iraq I can tell you that if he does not go to one of these organizations chances are he will very quickly become lost in the system as it can be very confusing to someone whose mind is completely clear and has no stress.
  5. I wish you and all your family the best of luck. Please remember that we each make our own choices and that you have done everything can for him and now he has to do the rest with His help.
God bless,
 
I called the Catholic chaplain first thing this morning and Matthew has an appointment to see him early next week. Please continue to keep him in your prayers. He has fallen away from the mass and sacraments and I think they could help strengthen him spiritually and emotionally when he returns to them.
 
My 20 year old son has been having a great deal of difficulty adjusting to the life he chose in the military. He called me up tonight and told me he is having ‘crazy thoughts’ in his head about suicide. I have had a few people talk to him and I will contact the military chaplain tomorrow, in the meantime I plead, beg, entreat that all of you pray for him and his mental and spiritual health. PLEASE!
QUICK! Send him a St Michael the Archangel medal and a copy of the book The Grunt Padre!
 
My 20 year old son has been having a great deal of difficulty adjusting to the life he chose in the military. He called me up tonight and told me he is having ‘crazy thoughts’ in his head about suicide. I have had a few people talk to him and I will contact the military chaplain tomorrow, in the meantime I plead, beg, entreat that all of you pray for him and his mental and spiritual health. PLEASE!
Get that boy to a doctor. Crazy suicidal thoughts must be putting the kid under extreme stress, and are not something one should take lightly. He might be depressed, or over anxious. He needs to talk to a medical professional about this.
 
Praying Trishie and Irish Am’s prayers for Matthew. And my own. God, please bless Matthew the way you did me when I was suicidal.

Love,

Ruthie
 
I am glad to hear that you have contacted the military chaplain and hope that they can send him home if he is unfit to serve at this time. I agree with the person who said that certain medications can also have negative side effects, such as depression.

I know that for young people especially, adjusting to a new life is hard. It happens when you enter college, the seminary, a new town, etc. I would imagine that adjusting to military life and a war would be far more difficult.

I hope everything works out and please keep us updated. God bless you.

Servant of God, Fr. Lt. Vincent Capodanno, pray for us.
 
Hail Mary,
Full of Grace,
The Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou among women,
and blessed is the Fruit of Thy Womb,
Jesus.
Holy Mary,
Mother of God,
pray for us sinners now,
and at the hour of our death.
Amen
 
How are things going on your end - any changes?

God bless,
 
May St.Dympha stengthen your son to battle the demons he is feeling right now. May St.Therese who recognized the dark night of the soul also bring him courage to place his trust in the Lord. Divine Mercy, please help this young soldier and his family who are so far away. We ask all these prayers through Christ our Lord. Amen.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top