Who says he hasn’t already been unleashed?
"When the thousand years are over, Satan will be released from his prison and will go out to deceive the nations [with the Evolution myth - check the date
!] in the four corners of the earth—Gog and Magog—to gather them for battle. In number they are like the sand on the seashore. They marched across the breadth of the earth and surrounded the camp of God’s people, the city he loves [can you tell?]. But fire came down from heaven and devoured them." (Rev. 20:7-9)
Our Lady of La Sallette (1846): “In the year 1864 Lucifer, together with a great number of devils, will be loosed from hell;”
Our Lady of Akita (1973): “As I told you, if men do not repent and better themselves, the Father will inflict a terrible punishment on all humanity. It will be a punishment greater than the deluge, such as one will never have seen before. Fire will fall from the sky and wipe out a great part of humanity…”
Pray, pray, pray! Penance, penance, penance!
I almost agree with your assessment here but I think it’s a little off. It is my understanding - and I might be wrong - that the Church teaches that the Church Age (the symbolic Millenium) ends when Jesus returns. Since Satan is released at the end of the Millenium according to this passage (“until the thousand years had passed”), Satan could not have been released yet.
Now, if I am wrong about it ending with the return of Jesus, then we might be on to something. Taking the messages from Our Lady into consideration and other things like the vision of Pope Leo XIII, maybe this period ends before Jesus’ return during that period which the Catechism of the Catholic Church speaks of here:
675 Before Christ’s second coming the Church must pass through a final trial that will shake the faith of many believers. The persecution that accompanies her pilgrimage on earth will unveil the “mystery of iniquity” in the form of a religious deception offering men an apparent solution to their problems at the price of apostasy from the truth. The supreme religious deception is that of the Antichrist, a pseudo-messianism by which man glorifies himself in place of God and of his Messiah come in the flesh.
If that is the case - and I am not saying it is, only speculating - it would fit in with those apparitions and visions. Under this scenario, Satan could have been released sometime around the beginning of the twentieth century.
Note: I understand the difference between public and private revelation. I am not trying to raise a private revelation to the level of a public one. I’m only saying that, if a private revelation is true, it must be in agreement with public revelation. Nothing more.
There is still a big problem with this, however. Even if Satan was freed then, he certainly exercised a lot of deceptive power during the last 1,900 years when he is supposed to have been bound and unable to deceive if the 1,000 years is symbolic of the church age. That problem is beginning to seem insurmountable to me.