"Minimum" beliefs to be a true Roman Catholic

  • Thread starter Thread starter Catolico_Romano
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Catolico_Romano

Guest
Hey there! What are the “minimum” beliefs that one has to adhere to in order to be a true Roman Catholic? For example, I know that the Church doesn’t require one to believe in Marian apparitions (such as Guadalupe) nor do we HAVE to pray the Rosary.

I ask because I don’t agree with a lot of the practices of the Church, especially the way it is practiced by Latinos. The overemphasis they place on Guadalupe and how sometimes we mix saints with witchcraft (such as in Santeria), are just plain wrong in my opinion.

Can one be Catholic and just focus on God (Father, Son, and Holy Spirit)? I don’t want to ask dead saints or Mary for their intersession. I don’t want to say the Hail Mary. I would never pray the Rosary. I would never bow to any image.

I grew up Catholic, but my views and beliefs have changed.
Thank you for your advice.
Catolico Romano
 
Hey there! What are the “minimum” beliefs that one has to adhere to in order to be a true Roman Catholic? For example, I know that the Church doesn’t require one to believe in Marian apparitions (such as Guadalupe) nor do we HAVE to pray the Rosary.

I ask because I don’t agree with a lot of the practices of the Church, especially the way it is practiced by Latinos. The overemphasis they place on Guadalupe and how sometimes we mix saints with witchcraft (such as in Santeria), are just plain wrong in my opinion.

Can one be Catholic and just focus on God (Father, Son, and Holy Spirit)? I don’t want to ask dead saints or Mary for their intersession. I don’t want to say the Hail Mary. I would never pray the Rosary. I would never bow to any image.

I grew up Catholic, but my views and beliefs have changed.
Thank you for your advice.
Catolico Romano
Mixing saints with witchcraft is extremely grievous, it has been condemned numerous times.

The answer to your question, one must believe all the dogmatic, doctrinal, and moral teachings that the Church has proposed for belief. The best place to find out what that is, is the Catechism of the Catholic Church, which was made specifically for that purpose.

Examples of Dogma’s would be: The Trinity, The truth of the incarnation, The Seven Sacraments, the Real presence in the Eucharist, The Immaculate Conception of Mary.

I would simply recommend you consult either The Catechism of the Catholic Church, The Compendium to the Catechism of the Catholic Church, or the Baltimore Catechism.

Now beyond that, no, it is not required that one believes in specific Marian apparitions or prays the rosary. But these devotions from the life of the Church have been promoted for a reason. I urge you to take a look at these practices and also the Church dogma’s on Mary. These would probably help:

amazon.com/Mary-Mother-Son-Vol-II/dp/1933919205

amazon.com/Mary-Mother-Son-Vol-III/dp/1933919213/ref=pd_sim_b_2
 
Hey there! What are the “minimum” beliefs that one has to adhere to in order to be a true Roman Catholic? For example, I know that the Church doesn’t require one to believe in Marian apparitions (such as Guadalupe) nor do we HAVE to pray the Rosary.

I ask because I don’t agree with a lot of the practices of the Church, especially the way it is practiced by Latinos. The overemphasis they place on Guadalupe and how sometimes we mix saints with witchcraft (such as in Santeria), are just plain wrong in my opinion.
As to the emphasis on Guadalupe, that’s because after that apparition and because of the miracle of the Tilma and the symbolism on it, the greater population of Mexico was converted to the Catholic faith. So, the Mexican people are grateful to her. But, of course, she only came because God sent her as his ambassador, so the thanks goes to him through her.
Can one be Catholic and just focus on God (Father, Son, and Holy Spirit)? I don’t want to ask dead saints or Mary for their intersession. I don’t want to say the Hail Mary. I would never pray the Rosary. I would never bow to any image.
I grew up Catholic, but my views and beliefs have changed.
Thank you for your advice.
Catolico Romano
Mary ought to point us to her Son, and that is her intention always. Bowing is merely a sign of respect and devotion, it’s not worship. We only worship God by re-presenting the one sacrifice of Christ in the Eucharist. God is the center of our worship but we honor those who went before us in faith and lead us to him by their example and prayers. We are part of the family of God which is the Church Triumphant (those in heaven), the Church Militant (we who are still on earth) and the Suffering Church (the poor souls in purgatory).

Christ is our focus in all our devotions for the saints point us to him and only to him. Without him they would have no holiness and would not have been people of faith whom we can look to for guidance (by their example) and their intercession for our needs.

There’s no need to change your beliefs, but you don’t have to be excessively devoted to any saint. As for the rosary, it’s meditating on the life of Jesus as seen through and with his most Immaculate Mother Mary. It’s the Gospel in miniature, as it’s been called. The Hail Mary is a biblical prayer straight from the Gospel of St. Luke, so it’s praying Scripture.

A great way to have a Christ-centered prayer life is to pray the official prayer of the Church, the Liturgy of the Hours. It’s online so you don’t have to wrestle with page numbers: divineoffice.org/#top. If you pray Morning and Evening Prayer, you will be in line with the prayer of the Church in all the Church seasons and it will help you see how the feasts and holy days of the saints fit into the overall worship of God within his Church. 🙂
 
Hey there! What are the “minimum” beliefs that one has to adhere to in order to be a true Roman Catholic? For example, I know that the Church doesn’t require one to believe in Marian apparitions (such as Guadalupe) nor do we HAVE to pray the Rosary.

I ask because I don’t agree with a lot of the practices of the Church, especially the way it is practiced by Latinos. The overemphasis they place on Guadalupe and how sometimes we mix saints with witchcraft (such as in Santeria), are just plain wrong in my opinion.

Can one be Catholic and just focus on God (Father, Son, and Holy Spirit)? I don’t want to ask dead saints or Mary for their intersession. I don’t want to say the Hail Mary. I would never pray the Rosary. I would never bow to any image.

I grew up Catholic, but my views and beliefs have changed.
Thank you for your advice.
Catolico Romano
For whatever reason Hispanic culture as a very “unique” form of Catholicism.

You can be a really awesome Catholic by never praying to Mary or the Saints or saying the Rosary or kneeling before an icon.

There is the Confiteor prayer in mass that asks Mary the saints and our brothers and sisters to pray for us, and other times the litany of the saints, but I know those aren’t what you are talking about.

Place God first. Focus on the faith and maybe start listening to Catholic Answers live or check out Fr Barron’s word on fire.

All the things you say are concerning are concerning to the whole church when they are abused and twisted so I’d encourage you to step away from such stumbling blocks. Later as you learn the faith more and separate from those abuses for a time I am sure you could find grace in the appropriate devotion to Mary and the Saints.
 
Hey there! What are the “minimum” beliefs that one has to adhere to in order to be a true Roman Catholic?
The Church has expounded on her beliefs over the milennia, usually deciding on an issue if and when it became an issue. Until that point, unless it is obviously heretical, Catholics are free to hold varying opinions on an issue.

Because it has such a wealth of guidance, the Church has given us a great gift to make that job easier: the Catechism of the Catholic Church.

This is a compendium of the beliefs that a Catholic must believe. It is the “official” teaching of the Church, not because it is an infallible document in itself, but because it relys on infallible documents (most especially sacred scripture) and Church doctrines and presents it in a cohesive and coherent way.
I ask because I don’t agree with a lot of the practices of the Church, especially the way it is practiced by Latinos. The overemphasis they place on Guadalupe and how sometimes we mix saints with witchcraft (such as in Santeria), are just plain wrong in my opinion.
Any mixing of saints with witchcraft is inherently wrong and objectively sinful.
People who do this (just like any other sins) may not be fully culpable based on their understanding or lack thereof, but the act is immoral.

That said, I don’t know much about Santeria, I’m just going on your word that it is indeed based in witchcraft.
Can one be Catholic and just focus on God (Father, Son, and Holy Spirit)? I don’t want to ask dead saints or Mary for their intersession. I don’t want to say the Hail Mary. I would never pray the Rosary. I would never bow to any image.
Who says saints are dead? Jesus specifically said they were NOT!

You don’t have to pray to Saints or Mary, but you DO need to believe in “the Communion of Saints.”

It is, after all, in the Apostles’ and Niscene Creeds. It is a very anciently promulgated belief.
 
What are the “minimum” beliefs that one has to adhere to in order to be a true Roman Catholic?
“Dad, what’s the minimum I have to do to be in good standing with the family? If I completely ignore Mom, will you still give me my inheritance?”

“Honey, what’s the minimum amount of love and affection I can show you, and still be on good terms with you legally as your spouse?”

“Doc, what’s the minimum amount of food and exercise I can do and still have a beating heart?”

“Boss, what’s the minimum work I can do and not get fired?”

If you think the Catholic Church is not your Mother who knows what is best for you, your problems go much deeper than not knowing where dogmatic lines are drawn.
 
Hey there! What are the “minimum” beliefs that one has to adhere to in order to be a true Roman Catholic? For example, I know that the Church doesn’t require one to believe in Marian apparitions (such as Guadalupe) nor do we HAVE to pray the Rosary.

I ask because I don’t agree with a lot of the practices of the Church, especially the way it is practiced by Latinos. The overemphasis they place on Guadalupe and how sometimes we mix saints with witchcraft (such as in Santeria), are just plain wrong in my opinion.

Can one be Catholic and just focus on God (Father, Son, and Holy Spirit)? I don’t want to ask dead saints or Mary for their intersession. I don’t want to say the Hail Mary. I would never pray the Rosary. I would never bow to any image.

I grew up Catholic, but my views and beliefs have changed.
Thank you for your advice.
Catolico Romano
Are you confirmed in the Catholic Church?
 
“Dad, what’s the minimum I have to do to be in good standing with the family? If I completely ignore Mom, will you still give me my inheritance?”

“Honey, what’s the minimum amount of love and affection I can show you, and still be on good terms with you legally as your spouse?”

“Doc, what’s the minimum amount of food and exercise I can do and still have a beating heart?”

“Boss, what’s the minimum work I can do and not get fired?”

If you think the Catholic Church is not your Mother who knows what is best for you, your problems go much deeper than not knowing where dogmatic lines are drawn.
👍
 
Hi everyone, greetings in Christ with love,

I’m not sure what is the “Minimum” beliefs to be a true Roman Catholic, but I know what is the OPTIMUM beliefs to be a true Roman Catholic. – To have God’s gift of faith.

THE COMPOSITE OF GOD’S GIFT OF FAITH:

a. BELIEF … (Unconditional BELIEF in what God says.)
b. HOPE … (Unconditional TRUST in God.)
c. CHARITY … (Unconditional LOVE for God.)
d. BAPTISM OF DESIRE.

God’s free gift of faith is formed faith, at that point when God gives it to us, THAT IS THE POINT, WHEN WE ARE SAVED and that is the POINT when “God raises us up together, and made us sit together in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus.” (Eph.2:6)

Quote:
“AUGUSTINE’S CONTRIBUTION TO OUR UNDERSTANDING OF WHAT IT MEANS TO BE IN THE BODY OF CHRIST.
We are inserted into the Body of Christ by our baptism and become members united to the Head, so that while our feet may be on earth we are already in heaven.” End quote.
The above quote taken from a public letter of Paul Maloney OSA Written September 19th 2012

With love in Christ,
LH
 
You seem to be overwhelmed by the two opposite versions of Christianity. On the one hand you have your very emotional (and mystical) driven Spanish Catholicism combating with the Icy cold Puritanical fundamentalist Evangelicalism (which also has a very emotional/judgmental element)

These two forces are preventing you from seeing the True Church of Jesus Christ, the Catholic Church. She is neither hotly emotional with superstitious beliefs, nor is she coldly doctrinal. But the Virgin Mary has always been there, even while Jesus was with his Apostles.

Separate yourself from both of those extreme conflicting influences, and try to gain peace and understanding before the Holy Eucharist in the Catholic Church.
 
Hey there! What are the “minimum” beliefs that one has to adhere to in order to be a true Roman Catholic? For example, I know that the Church doesn’t require one to believe in Marian apparitions (such as Guadalupe) nor do we HAVE to pray the Rosary.

I ask because I don’t agree with a lot of the practices of the Church, especially the way it is practiced by Latinos. The overemphasis they place on Guadalupe and how sometimes we mix saints with witchcraft (such as in Santeria), are just plain wrong in my opinion.

Can one be Catholic and just focus on God (Father, Son, and Holy Spirit)? I don’t want to ask dead saints or Mary for their intersession. I don’t want to say the Hail Mary. I would never pray the Rosary. I would never bow to any image.

I grew up Catholic, but my views and beliefs have changed.
Thank you for your advice.
Catolico Romano
I would say what others have said just refer to the Catechism while you don’t have to believe every single word the Catechism says you should for everything have at-least religious submission of mind and will.
 
Hey there! What are the “minimum” beliefs that one has to adhere to in order to be a true Roman Catholic? For example, I know that the Church doesn’t require one to believe in Marian apparitions (such as Guadalupe) nor do we HAVE to pray the Rosary.
Minimalism like that leads to a host of other problems. I suggest that you follow the advice of St. Paul and "Carefully study to present thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly handling the word of truth.", which means you take the time to actually study what the Church teaches and practice that which is real, which includes Marian devotion, the intercession of saints, the Rosary, and all of it.
I ask because I don’t agree with a lot of the practices of the Church, especially the way it is practiced by Latinos.
Just because someone else is wrong doesn’t make the Church and its truth less so or less worthy of practicing. The correct way to address this is to embrace the exemplary practice of the faith, not to minimize it by rejecting valid and approved devotions and beliefs.
The overemphasis they place on Guadalupe and how sometimes we mix saints with witchcraft (such as in Santeria), are just plain wrong in my opinion.
Keep Guadalupe in the context of the Church’s teachings and all is well. Why throw out the baby with the bathwater?

Santeria is not Catholic…not even Christian and anyone who practices it is in deep trouble. Again the answer is exemplary practice of what is authentically taught by the Church and offering correction to those who have strayed, not minimizing your Catholic faith.
Can one be Catholic and just focus on God (Father, Son, and Holy Spirit)? I don’t want to ask dead saints or Mary for their intersession. I don’t want to say the Hail Mary. I would never pray the Rosary. I would never bow to any image.
Then you are already messed up, which is precisely what the devil wants for you in this matter. Why are you not praying the Divine Mercy Chaplet and venerating that image of Our Blessed Lord Jesus Christ? The Rosary is a scriptural meditation of the life of Christ and The Intercession of the Saints and Praying to the Saints is anything but Saint Worship so why reject them? Set an example among Latinos and begin a personal campaign to help anyone in error to find their way home and don’t sweat what anti-Catholics have to say about it all. They love to try to proselytize you Hispanic Catholics, some of whom are not well knowledgeable in your faith.

Do Catholics Worship Statues? Absolutely not!
I grew up Catholic, but my views and beliefs have changed.
Thank you for your advice.
Catolico Romano
Then again, as I said you need to be studying our most holy faith to get it right because you are apparently being influenced by anti-Catholic propaganda targeted at you Latino Catholics to proselytize you away from Catholicism, which is dead wrong.

I suggest that you invest in
http://shop.catholicapologetics.com/images/1170744296998-467041514.jpeg
Apologetica Elemental 1
$5.95

…and start working in your parish in religious education where I bet a dollar the priest will be overjoyed to have the help.
 
Hey there! What are the “minimum” beliefs that one has to adhere to in order to be a true Roman Catholic? For example, I know that the Church doesn’t require one to believe in Marian apparitions (such as Guadalupe) nor do we HAVE to pray the Rosary.

I ask because I don’t agree with a lot of the practices of the Church, especially the way it is practiced by Latinos. The overemphasis they place on Guadalupe and how sometimes we mix saints with witchcraft (such as in Santeria), are just plain wrong in my opinion.

Can one be Catholic and just focus on God (Father, Son, and Holy Spirit)? I don’t want to ask dead saints or Mary for their intersession. I don’t want to say the Hail Mary. I would never pray the Rosary. I would never bow to any image.

I grew up Catholic, but my views and beliefs have changed.
Thank you for your advice.
Catolico Romano
The Rosary and devotions to saints are just that - devotions and they are optional.

I agree with your concerns about Santeria.

So, that answers your questions directly.

Now, two questions that I have for you: What are the minimum requirements for being married or for loving Jesus?

Do you see the problem with looking for the least that you have to do?

Love God with all your heart and your neighbor as yourself.

(and stay away from Santeria! :))
 
I don’t want to ask dead saints or Mary for their intersession.
The Litany of the Saints, where Catholics ask “Holy Mary” and other saints to “pray for us,” is part of the Easter Vigil Mass so you might want to avoid attending that particular Mass.
 
The Litany of the Saints, where Catholics ask “Holy Mary” and other saints to “pray for us,” is part of the Easter Vigil Mass so you might want to avoid attending that particular Mass.
You may also wish to avoid any Mass which uses Option A for the Penitential Rite. The Confiteor is rather explicit in its appeal to Mary, all the angels and saints, and “you, my brothers and sisters” as members of the Communion of Saints. Anyone who needs to deny this particular doctrine and avoid praying to saints will need to seek Masses which do not invoke them. (You wouldn’t be comfortable at my parish where we use Option A 95% of the time.)
 
Hey there! What are the “minimum” beliefs that one has to adhere to in order to be a true Roman Catholic? For example, I know that the Church doesn’t require one to believe in Marian apparitions (such as Guadalupe) nor do we HAVE to pray the Rosary.

I ask because I don’t agree with a lot of the practices of the Church, especially the way it is practiced by Latinos. The overemphasis they place on Guadalupe and how sometimes we mix saints with witchcraft (such as in Santeria), are just plain wrong in my opinion.

Can one be Catholic and just focus on God (Father, Son, and Holy Spirit)? I don’t want to ask dead saints or Mary for their intersession. I don’t want to say the Hail Mary. I would never pray the Rosary. I would never bow to any image.

I grew up Catholic, but my views and beliefs have changed.
Thank you for your advice.
Catolico Romano
Read the Catechism of the Catholic Church. That contains a summary of Church teachings that Catholics are bound by.

scborromeo.org/ccc.htm
 
I don’t want to ask dead saints or Mary for their intersession.
Until you overcome your aversion to asking the Virgin Mary and the other saints in heaven for their intercession, you might want to avoid the Easter Vigil Mass, as it usually includes the Litany of the Saints, where we ask Holy Mary and the other holy men and women in heaven to “pray for us.”
 
Hey there! What are the “minimum” beliefs that one has to adhere to in order to be a true Roman Catholic? For example, I know that the Church doesn’t require one to believe in Marian apparitions (such as Guadalupe) nor do we HAVE to pray the Rosary.

I ask because I don’t agree with a lot of the practices of the Church, especially the way it is practiced by Latinos. The overemphasis they place on Guadalupe and how sometimes we mix saints with witchcraft (such as in Santeria), are just plain wrong in my opinion.

Can one be Catholic and just focus on God (Father, Son, and Holy Spirit)? I don’t want to ask dead saints or Mary for their intersession. I don’t want to say the Hail Mary. I would never pray the Rosary. I would never bow to any image.

I grew up Catholic, but my views and beliefs have changed.
Thank you for your advice.
Catolico Romano
There are some Latin American cultural devotions that twist authentic Catholic devotion into superstitious practices that have no place in Catholic life. At the same time, however, you cannot be a good Catholic and “just focus on God.” The Communion of Saints is a teaching of the Church, and can’t simply be tossed out because it makes you uncomfortable. Of course, you don’t have to pray the Rosary and many don’t- but if you are properly taught what the Church teaches about Mary and the Saints, you shouldn’t have a problem with it. There are many good books written on Mary and the Rosary (including some Papal documents, as well as apologetics materials written specifically to address concerns such as yours- I’d start by browsing through Catholic Answers’ website since you’re so close).
 
Hey, slow down there. To be a “true Catholic” you don’t need to believe anything at all. Were you Baptised as a Catholic? Then you are a Catholic, 100%, and nothing you or anyone do or say can ever take that away. You are a true Catholic, permanently marked as a member of the Body of Christ, as a member of the Church, as a child of God.

As to beliefs, everyone drifts and learns. Everyone goes through a process where they start thinking about things and then (hopefully) learning more. We ask questions, we have doubts, we struggle with stuff. That’s fine: that shows we’re engaging with our faith, and should lead to a deeper faith in future.

If, where you are now, you only feel able to pray directly to God, then do that. Keep praying to God, please don’t stop, and even pray about this issue. Meanwhile, read what you can about the Communion of Saints, the Intercession of the Saints, and the role of Mary. A Catholic in good standing absolutely can pray only directly to God, but when they understand these issues they will generally want to pray the other prayers as well.

The Catechism of the Catholic Church is a good place to check what exactly the Church teaches, and what she doesn’t. If you disagree with things in this Catechism (whether factual or moral), then you should ask questions and look for answers and pray on it. But at no point do you stop being Catholic.

Nobody is required or expected to believe in things like any of the post-Biblical apparitions, or scapulas, or rosaries, or any of the special prayers you see people stick up. Most of the ones you’ll see are considered pious beliefs, and there are some (which you probably won’t see so much) which are considered superstitious. Even if the Pope didn’t believe these, it wouldn’t really be a problem. Santeria would be considered an actual false religion, so no you shouldn’t mix that in with your Catholicism.

If where you currently are, you feel the need to distance yourself spiritually from practices that you have seen abused or misused, while still praying to God and reading the Bible and partaking of the Sacraments, that’s okay. Grow and learn. I expect you’ll be able to add some of this stuff back once you’ve got some distance, and clarified which things are actually Christian.

But at no point will you stop being Catholic. You will always be a true Catholic: don’t let anyone tell you otherwise.
 
Hey there! What are the “minimum” beliefs that one has to adhere to in order to be a true Roman Catholic?
There is NO SUCH BELIEF.

For the purpose of this reply, I will assume a person who has been Baptized as Catholic before the age of reason. Others (converts, etc) pose minor complications to my reply, but the essence is the same.

No Catholic is EVER required to believe ANYTHING as a condition of being a Catholic. A Baptized Catholic is placed into a state of Grace by virtue of his Baptism. There is NOTHING that can remove this person from a state of Grace other than mortal sin (this is de fide Doctrine of the Catholic Church).

Any Catholic might find himself doubting any aspect of Catholic doctrine. This is known as a “crisis of Faith” and is very common among Catholic Saints (and it is particularly described by Carmelite Saints and Doctors of the Church).

There is no such thing on planet earth as a belief that must be held by anybody in order to be “a true Roman Catholic”
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top