R
Rainaldo
Guest
What is the bare minimum that constitutes a rosary?
Different forms have different beginning and ending prayers and prayers inserted in between, but one thing they all seem to have in common is five sets of one Our Father and ten Hail Marys.
So if I want to say a rosary and keep it to the bare minimum, would it be just that plus meditations on the mysteries? Have any popes “defined” the rosary?
The reason I ask is because I’m in a bit of a kerfluffle at the moment involving people who want to add their personal favorite extras to rosaries said in groups, everything from brief prepared reflections on the mysteries before each decade to appending longer and longer prayers at the end like the Hail Holy Queen plus O God Whose Only Begotten Son plus the Litany of Loreto and what used to be a 15 minute devotion turns into a commitment of half an hour or more.
Don’t get me wrong; I’m all for praying, but the extra prayers threaten to become a tedious burden and when you think about it they are really just extra decoration that ultimately comes from personal preference, and in religious matters this often ends up becoming a case of more is better, which just isn’t true.
Different forms have different beginning and ending prayers and prayers inserted in between, but one thing they all seem to have in common is five sets of one Our Father and ten Hail Marys.
So if I want to say a rosary and keep it to the bare minimum, would it be just that plus meditations on the mysteries? Have any popes “defined” the rosary?
The reason I ask is because I’m in a bit of a kerfluffle at the moment involving people who want to add their personal favorite extras to rosaries said in groups, everything from brief prepared reflections on the mysteries before each decade to appending longer and longer prayers at the end like the Hail Holy Queen plus O God Whose Only Begotten Son plus the Litany of Loreto and what used to be a 15 minute devotion turns into a commitment of half an hour or more.
Don’t get me wrong; I’m all for praying, but the extra prayers threaten to become a tedious burden and when you think about it they are really just extra decoration that ultimately comes from personal preference, and in religious matters this often ends up becoming a case of more is better, which just isn’t true.
