Miraculous medal

  • Thread starter Thread starter Proeliator
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Proeliator

Guest
Question…My wife is not Catholic and has been after me to wear a crucifix instead of a miraculous medal. I have been wearing this medal (not the same one) since I was 12 years old. I am now 34. I have no desire to stop wearing the medal but am starting to wonder If I should consider taking it off for the sake of my wife. Am I “wimping” out or should I just tell her to get over it? Any (name removed by moderator)ut?
 
I guess that kind of thing is bound to happen in relationships between different religions. In my opinion, i think you should keep wearing it. Its your belief. I’m not saying you should do it just because your wife says you shouldn’t, but (again in my opinion) her telling you not to wear it would kind of be the same as you telling her she has to wear one, even though it’s not her religion. Sorry if my wording is hard to understand.
 
Question…My wife is not Catholic and has been after me to wear a crucifix instead of a miraculous medal. I have been wearing this medal (not the same one) since I was 12 years old. I am now 34. I have no desire to stop wearing the medal but am starting to wonder If I should consider taking it off for the sake of my wife. Am I “wimping” out or should I just tell her to get over it? Any (name removed by moderator)ut?
I understand the urge to stand up and say, “back off” and I also understand the urge to placate someone to avoid an argument, but forget all that for a moment.

I would wonder why, something you have worn since age 12, is suddenly an issue for her. Has someone told her catholics are worshipping Mary like a goddess? There’s always some of that going around. Maybe it has just come up, maybe even in a casual conversation about the new Nativity movie. I think straight out asking her, “why, all of a sudden is this an issue?” and keep in mind she probably has your best interest at heart. After all she didn’t say take off Mary and put on something satanic! She said take off Mary and put on Christ. Well, if she knew that Mary is constantly directing christians to christ (not as a goddess, but as a human and mother), then the Miraculous medal may not bother her.

But if it becomes one of those long protestant - catholic debates over Mary, be sure to ask some experts around here. (I’m just a novice)
 
Question…My wife is not Catholic and has been after me to wear a crucifix instead of a miraculous medal. I have been wearing this medal (not the same one) since I was 12 years old. I am now 34. I have no desire to stop wearing the medal but am starting to wonder If I should consider taking it off for the sake of my wife. Am I “wimping” out or should I just tell her to get over it? Any (name removed by moderator)ut?
In my view you should not take off a sign of your Catholic Faith because a non-Catholic asks you to (even if it is your wife).
Have you asked her why she wants you to substitute the medal for a crucifix?

I wear both a Crucifix and a Miraculous Medal.
 
In my view you should not take off a sign of your Catholic Faith because a non-Catholic asks you to.
Unfortunately the Catholic Church here in America does that all the time in the spirit of ecumenicallity.

Now that I got that out of my system.

For the OP…

No I dont think you should take it off. I dont think you should even discuss it with her. Just wear it like you normally would or under your clothes. Sooner or later im sure your wife will understand.
 
Wear a crucifix with the medal if it will make her feel better, but no-one should be asking you to take of ANYTHING that you’ve been attached to for so long.

I too would be (in the most non-accusatory way possible of course) asking her about the thinking behind her request.

It may be something as simple as that she’s suddenly realised that’s actually a picture of a strange woman around your neck, and that makes her feel uncomfortable.
 
Perhaps one of her friends saw the metal and asked her about it and she felt uncomfortable trying to explain. You probably need to discuss the meaning and history of the metal with her.

I wear mine all the time - never take it off. Ha, even when I’ve had to have a chest x-ray, I tell them I’ll hold the metal in my mouth while they take the x-ray. They don’t object. 😃
 
Perhaps one of her friends saw the metal and asked her about it and she felt uncomfortable trying to explain. You probably need to discuss the meaning and history of the metal with her. Sadly, some people wear a cross - not a crucifix - as jewelry.

I wear mine all the time - never take it off. Ha, even when I’ve had to have a chest x-ray, I tell them I’ll hold the metal in my mouth while they take the x-ray. They don’t object. 😃
 
Thanks all for your (name removed by moderator)ut. I believe deep down it is her way of trying to distance me from this “special” devotion. She has used the excuse that it gets her"out of the mood" when she sees it. I find that hard to believe four kids later??? Don’t know what else to say other than what one poster said about why it bothers her now. I will try to probe into it.
I believe it may have something to do with the children being raised Catholic and the “offense” she takes toward it. Believe me, I tried to explain it but to no avail. I learned that if one is not open to the spirit than one will not understand.
 
Thanks all for your (name removed by moderator)ut. I believe deep down it is her way of trying to distance me from this “special” devotion. She has used the excuse that it gets her"out of the mood" when she sees it. I find that hard to believe four kids later??? Don’t know what else to say other than what one poster said about why it bothers her now. I will try to probe into it.
I believe it may have something to do with the children being raised Catholic and the “offense” she takes toward it. Believe me, I tried to explain it but to no avail. I learned that if one is not open to the Spirit than one will not understand.
 
I wear a miraculous medal myself. I don’t think I would take it off if my spouse didn’t like it. There are certain expressions of our faith that our spouses should be able to understand. Wearing a medal is unobtrusive and, no offense, she should probably “get over it”. However,if she really gets a bee in her bonnet about it, perhaps a compromise would be a four way medal seen here. Of course, the one shown is one I have bookmarked and is a bit lady like. I think they make them in different styles though. As you can see it is shaped like a cross. But there are images on it and on the bottom is the miraculous medal. Be careful if you get one, as not all of them have the monogram of Mary on the back. Anyway, just a thought.
 
this might be off the wall, but I have heard of men being jealous of their wives’ relationship with Jesus – I wonder if your wife may be jealous of your relationship with Mary?
 
I wear a miraculous medal myself. I don’t think I would take it off if my spouse didn’t like it. There are certain expressions of our faith that our spouses should be able to understand. Wearing a medal is unobtrusive and, no offense, she should probably “get over it”. However,if she really gets a bee in her bonnet about it, perhaps a compromise would be a four way medal seen here. Of course, the one shown is one I have bookmarked and is a bit lady like. I think they make them in different styles though. As you can see it is shaped like a cross. But there are images on it and on the bottom is the miraculous medal. Be careful if you get one, as not all of them have the monogram of Mary on the back. Anyway, just a thought.
 
Just the other day I noticed something about the miraculous medal.

I saw the date 1830,on the globe underneath Mary’s foot.I realize this was the year of the vision to St Catherine,yet it also rang a bell with something else I had been studying.

It was the year of Adam Weishaupts death.In 1776 he founded an organization called the Illuminati which some believe sought to indoctrinate man into a new age of reason without religion.

9 days after Weishaupts death Mary revealed the image of the medal to St Catherine Laboure.The Virgin standing on a globe with the serpent under her feet.On her hands were beautiful rings shedding light upon the world. The blessings coming through the rings.

One has to wonder if this was not done specifically to counter the false illuminism so prevelant and trying to usurp religion.

In the field of religion, French Illuminism battled against the Catholic Church, its dogmas, its discipline, its hierarchy. The Church was judged responsible for all the errors of the past. In this bitter struggle against the Church, atheists like La Mettrie and Deists like Voltaire made common cause and cried out: “Ecrasez l’infame!”
 
Question…My wife is not Catholic and has been after me to wear a crucifix instead of a miraculous medal. I have been wearing this medal (not the same one) since I was 12 years old. I am now 34. I have no desire to stop wearing the medal but am starting to wonder If I should consider taking it off for the sake of my wife. Am I “wimping” out or should I just tell her to get over it? Any (name removed by moderator)ut?
Have you heard about the Virgin of the Globe medal? it’s related to the Miraculous medal. It’s based on the first phase of the apparition of the Blessed Mother Mary to St. Catherine Laboure on Nov. 27, 1830. As for me, I carry a rosary in my pocket, which has the Trinity crucifix, the Virgin of the Globe medal, and the Divine Mercy medal. I am now wearing the Virgin of the Globe medal around my neck.

To understand the story of the “Virgin of the Globe/ Virgin Most Powerful”, please read “St. Catherine Laboure of the Miraculous Medal” by Fatger Joseph Dirvin. Pay particular attention to Chapter VIII - The Apparition of the Miraculous Medal. I also recommend “The Life of Catherine Laboure” by Rene Laurentin. Please pay particular attention to Chapter 5 and Chapter 7.

God bless.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top