Misophonia - anyone else?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Bonnie
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bonnie

Guest
I’m posting under Spirituality because my misophonia affects me at Mass. I prefer to go to a very small parish where there is minimal talking & whispering before/during/after Mass. Going to the larger parish (to which I actually belong) can end with tears & anger. I’ve actually prayed for the gift of deafness, though I would miss the lovely sounds of nature. I can pray a lot better at home & outside than I can in church - unless I’m the only one there.

I’ve never tried earplugs (except at home) because I thought (& was told) that I was being over-sensitive & should learn not to be. Then a few months ago I found out about misophonia.

Is there anyone else here who suffers from the disorder? And how do you deal with noises before/during/after Mass?
 
I’m posting under Spirituality because my misophonia affects me at Mass. I prefer to go to a very small parish where there is minimal talking & whispering before/during/after Mass. Going to the larger parish (to which I actually belong) can end with tears & anger. I’ve actually prayed for the gift of deafness, though I would miss the lovely sounds of nature. I can pray a lot better at home & outside than I can in church - unless I’m the only one there.

I’ve never tried earplugs (except at home) because I thought (& was told) that I was being over-sensitive & should learn not to be. Then a few months ago I found out about misophonia.

Is there anyone else here who suffers from the disorder? And how do you deal with noises before/during/after Mass?
If you haven’t sought treatment for this, now would be a good time to do so, then you can check with your therapist about this.
 
Don’t pray to become deaf. You wouldn’t be able to join in musical worship if that happened.

We need our ears to hear HIS voice at the end of our life!

Try using earplugs, or better yet, now that you know there is a condition, go to therapy.

GOD Bless and ICXC NIKA.
 
If you haven’t sought treatment for this, now would be a good time to do so, then you can check with your therapist about this.
There is no cure. I was hoping for suggestions for coping.
 
I don’t have misophonia, however my advice would be to use the earplugs AND see your doctor about therapy (if you can find it). Sounds like the person you speak about doesn’t believe you have it.
 
Sounds like the person you speak about doesn’t believe you have it.
I didn’t know I had it, either. I just knew that certain sounds really, really set me off; have for many years. I, too, thought I was overly sensitive but didn’t know what to do about it. I’m still “overly sensitive” to those sounds, but at least now I know it’s a real disorder with a name.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top