Missed Mass, feeling disappointed

  • Thread starter Thread starter LoveMorrissey
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

LoveMorrissey

Guest
Hello everyone,

I feel like I’ve let myself and the Church down.

At the Easter Vigil I was welcomed into the Catholic Church but have missed Mass for the past two weeks.

While I have not been very well it is also true that I have been tempted away from faith and I understand how much I need to go back.

There is a Mass on Tuesday night’s and I was wondering how many of you have missed services and ended up feeling lousy about it?

What should I say to the Priest?
 
If you were too ill to attend an obligatory Mass you were not obligated, so there is no sin and no reason to feel bad about it. A good gauge is if you wouldn’t have gone out shopping or some other activity either because of your health.

If you have any doubt about whether or not you could have attended, mention it at your next confession. Only you can know the state of your health, though. In such matters the Church expects us to use good prudential judgment based in a well-formed conscious. 🙂 If you cannot attend, you can pray the rosary or the Divine Office, etc., read the Mass readings, and spend the day as you would any other Sunday–in peace and holy rest.
 
I can’t really tell if you were too sick to go to Mass or if you chose not to go to Mass because you didn’t want to.

If too sick, you’ve not committed any sin.

If you just didn’t want to go and chose to other activities instead, then you need to confess that to your Priest prior to partaking of the Eucharist.

Don’t worry about confession- the point is that you feel you need to come back (which is great!) and the Priest is there to absolve you. Since you feel bad, you already have the right state of heart about it.

I was also baptized and confirmed at Easter Vigil and the morning of our Priest gave us a talk on how he notices how many people who get confirmed just fall away shortly after and he asked us to please not do that. It sounds like it’s fairly common.
 
Welcome home.
I can hear your frustration with yourself. I remember my first year being not the most faithful Catholic, that’s for sure. If I can give you any advice, is don’t follow in that direction. I know you must desire to grow in faith. Why else would you spend all that time at RCIA and baptism?

Go to confession, and tell the priest exactly what happened. He will determine your state. Pray for all your companions on the journey, that they all remain close to Jesus, His gift of the Sacraments, and the Church he gave us.

My first year as a Catholic was so wonderful in what it gave me, but horrible in what I gave it back. I wish I could do it over again. 😊

Be patient with yourself, but don’t be indulgent. Peace be with you 🙂
 
Hello everyone,

I feel like I’ve let myself and the Church down.

At the Easter Vigil I was welcomed into the Catholic Church but have missed Mass for the past two weeks.

While I have not been very well it is also true that I have been tempted away from faith and I understand how much I need to go back.

There is a Mass on Tuesday night’s and I was wondering how many of you have missed services and ended up feeling lousy about it?

What should I say to the Priest?
Be at peace. Come back and meet your Beloved at the Eucharistic table. If you were really ill, no sin incurred. If not, confess and return to the Eucharist.
It’s important to remember that not every Mass is going to be as powerful emotionally, as that Easter liturgy.
You will move into being a person in the pew, like everyone else.
Mass is very important.
God bless you for realizing that something is missing.
It’s you! 😉
 
Hello everyone,

I feel like I’ve let myself and the Church down.

At the Easter Vigil I was welcomed into the Catholic Church but have missed Mass for the past two weeks.

While I have not been very well it is also true that I have been tempted away from faith and I understand how much I need to go back.

There is a Mass on Tuesday night’s and I was wondering how many of you have missed services and ended up feeling lousy about it?

What should I say to the Priest?
You should go to confession as soon as possible and tell the priest you have missed Mass for the past 2 Sundays. He can help you with establishing guidelines on how sick you should be to be excused from attending Mass or if you are just using “not feeling good” as an excuse to miss it; these things take to learn how to discern. If you are being tempted to leave the Church, frequent Mass attendance and receiving communion are the weapons you have against that. Go to Mass on Tuesday.
 
Hello everyone,

I attended Mass last night - it was excellent and I felt a real sense of strength to actually go, I beat the anxiety and had a great time. I will be going to confession on Saturday.

Things are looking good again thank God.
 
Hi

so glad to hear that you returned to Mass. Well done!

I too was initiated into the Catholic Church this Easter so I know how it all feels new and I still struggle to discern whether I need to confess certain things or if indeed they are sins. I have found this website so useful in that regard 🙂

Keep going to Mass and participating in the Eucharist and you will find that your faith and confidence in the Church will grow. And confidence in yourself as a good Catholic too.
 
Hi

so glad to hear that you returned to Mass. Well done!

I too was initiated into the Catholic Church this Easter so I know how it all feels new and I still struggle to discern whether I need to confess certain things or if indeed they are sins. I have found this website so useful in that regard 🙂

Keep going to Mass and participating in the Eucharist and you will find that your faith and confidence in the Church will grow. And confidence in yourself as a good Catholic too.
Thank you Rachel - I appreciate that. CAF has been a brilliant source of facts and inspiration for me.
 
Hello everyone,

I attended Mass last night - it was excellent and I **felt **a real sense of strength to actually go, I beat the anxiety and had a great time. I will be going to confession on Saturday.

Things are looking good again thank God.
That was actual grace you experienced so know that God is with you. Rather than relying on anything you may “feel” at a given time, if I were you, I’d pray for fidelity by asking Christ to send His Spirit to convict me of the importance of Mass attendance and that He help me develop a love and appreciation for the liturgy and sacraments.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top