Missed Mass

  • Thread starter Thread starter Stickystopa
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Stickystopa

Guest
We went to a baptism today at an Anglican church as my relative goes there, later on I mentioned to my wife about going to the 5pm Mass she said we didn’t need to because we went to church at the Anglican one and she said that she was told when going to Greece on holiday that because there was no Catholic church she could go to the protestant one and it would be fine.

I wanted to ask this earlier but suddenly looked at the time and I was too late to go to Mass anyway.

I didn’t purposely choose not to go, I wanted to, I became unsure and then I missed anyway.

Have I committed a mortal sin, a big venial sin or no sin?

I have tomorrow off, should I go to Mass tomorrow to make up for it?

😦
 
I’m sorry but you can’t “count” that as your Sunday mass. Is there any mass that might be later? Maybe a 6:30? Try your hardest. I’m not sure if it’s a sin or not.
 
We went to a baptism today at an Anglican church as my relative goes there, later on I mentioned to my wife about going to the 5pm Mass she said we didn’t need to because we went to church at the Anglican one and she said that she was told when going to Greece on holiday that because there was no Catholic church she could go to the protestant one and it would be fine.

I wanted to ask this earlier but suddenly looked at the time and I was too late to go to Mass anyway.

I didn’t purposely choose not to go, I wanted to, I became unsure and then I missed anyway.

Have I committed a mortal sin, a big venial sin or no sin?

I have tomorrow off, should I go to Mass tomorrow to make up for it?

😦
Going to a protestant church service does not fulfill your Sunday obligation to Our Lord. And you can’t “make up for it” by going another day. What you should do is go to confession and get it all cleared up that way 👍 The priest will be able to help you figure out if it was a sin and what degree.

God bless you!

Gertie
 
As others have mentioned your wife was wrong though it’s nothing a confession can’t take care of. If you took their communion at the Anglican church this needs to be mentioned in the confessional too. The only other Church we can fulfill our obligation at on Sundays and other Holy Days if no Catholic Church is around is at an Orthodox Church which there are plenty of in Greece. The Church tells us we can take their Communion in such an instance though it may be likely that the Orthodox priest wouldn’t allow us to receive if he knew we were Catholic.
 
Mortal sin has three conditions: full knowledge, full consent, and grave matter. Since you didn’t have either of the first two conditions then you couldn’t have committed a mortal sin. I would suggest looking into the teachings more closely in advance, next time, rather than relying on your wife at the last minute to figure something out.
 
I missed Mass at my Parish because I slept right through my 10 am alarm I was planning on going to 12 pm mass However there is a nearby Parish with a 5:30 pm DSunday Mass so I went to that one I am really greatful to have that option.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top