Missing Mass for Event

  • Thread starter Thread starter Understand1
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
U

Understand1

Guest
I have an event this weekend and even though I have tried to figure out a way to get to mass, I can’t get there on the trip. I have worked all year for this trip and plan to watch a mass Livestream while I travel to my destination, but do I still have to go to confession? Also, please cite scripture/catechism if possible. Thank you!
 
I have an event this weekend and even though I have tried to figure out a way to get to mass, I can’t get there on the trip. I have worked all year for this trip and plan to watch a mass Livestream while I travel to my destination, but do I still have to go to confession? Also, please cite scripture/catechism if possible. Thank you!
If you can’t get to Mass, you can’t get to Mass. I wouldn’t worry about it. I don’t see any need to mention it in confession. There’s no sin here.

1983 Code of Canon Law:
Can. 1248 §1. A person who assists at a Mass celebrated anywhere in a Catholic rite either on the feast day itself or in the evening of the preceding day satisfies the obligation of participating in the Mass.

§2. If participation in the eucharistic celebration becomes impossible because of the absence of a sacred minister or for another grave cause, it is strongly recommended that the faithful take part in a liturgy of the word if such a liturgy is celebrated in a parish church or other sacred place according to the prescripts of the diocesan bishop or that they devote themselves to prayer for a suitable time alone, as a family, or, as the occasion permits, in groups of families.


The Livestream Mass sounds like a good plan.
 
Last edited:
If you can’t make it, you just can’t make it. If you have time, you can try to get a dispensation from your priest. Will that make you feel any better?

PS: if you will be in an airport on Sunday, check to see if there is a mass offered in the chapel.
 
No, a big event is not an excuse to miss Mass, Livestream does not replace Mass.

I am assuming here that you are an adult and that you are not traveling to some remote part of Alaska or to a closed resort in a dangerous place.

Take a Taxi or an Uber to Mass at your destination. Some airports have chapels with Mass.

If the town you are in has no Churches, or if it is too dangerous to venture off the resort (as in some Mexican resorts for example), then you do not have an obligation.

If you simply don’t want to go to Mass because you will miss kickoff or something, call your pastor and ask for a dispensation BEFORE you leave.
 
Your Catechism citation:

2181 The Sunday Eucharist is the foundation and confirmation of all Christian practice. For this reason the faithful are obliged to participate in the Eucharist on days of obligation, unless excused for a serious reason (for example, illness, the care of infants) or dispensed by their own pastor.119 Those who deliberately fail in this obligation commit a grave sin.

[2182] Participation in the communal celebration of the Sunday Eucharist is a testimony of belonging and of being faithful to Christ and to his Church. The faithful give witness by this to their communion in faith and charity. Together they testify to God’s holiness and their hope of salvation. They strengthen one another under the guidance of the Holy Spirit.

2183 "If because of lack of a sacred minister or for other grave cause participation in the celebration of the Eucharist is impossible, it is specially recommended that the faithful take part in the Liturgy of the Word if it is celebrated in the parish church or in another sacred place according to the prescriptions of the diocesan bishop, or engage in prayer for an appropriate amount of time personally or in a family or, as occasion offers, in groups of families."120
 
Always go to Confession after you miss Mass. Obviously, you can attend Mass if you haven’t gone to confession, but I wouldn’t receive the Eucharist.

To me it’s easy - when in doubt, go to confession.
 
Always go to Confession after you miss Mass. Obviously, you can attend Mass if you haven’t gone to confession, but I wouldn’t receive the Eucharist.
Are you saying to go to confession even if you have missed Mass for a reason that is beyond your control? When you are too sick to go to Mass?

The Church does not say this. Legitimate reasons for not going to Mass will vary with each individual’s circumstances.
 
Sick to the point of being very contagious or feeling so miserable that you can’t function, or having to take care of somebody who is that sick is valid reason to miss without confession.

My response was more directed to the OP who was missing for an event, and it sees that with a travel schedule or whatever they couldn’t make it to Mass. My point is, if it is bothering your conscience - even if the Church says it’s ok - there’s nothing wrong with going to confession.
 
Sometimes when I’ve had a major event, I’ve literally googled mass times (e.g. Saturday Vigils) at random small towns that are on my way to whatever event. I arrive in a town at 4:50, and I walk into mass at 4:58. I just continue my journey to where ever afterwards around 6pm after mass. I did this recently and heard the most wonderful homily by a Dominican guest preacher at a little church in the middle of nowhere. I was stunned how meaningful the homily was to me. You can find God at a little church in the middle of nowhere that you’ve never seen before and will never see again.
 
Speak to your priest, we can’t really advise you as we don’t know what the event is, (though I can’t think of any that would excuse you) but it sounds like either you need a dispensation first (while talking to your priest about it) or you should try a vigil mass on the way. Dont ever do something you know you will have to confess afterwards. God bless.
 
Sick to the point of being very contagious or feeling so miserable that you can’t function, or having to take care of somebody who is that sick is valid reason to miss without confession.
But only to the point of being “very” contagious? Being contagious is like being pregnant. There is no such thing as a little bit pregnant or a little bit contagious. You either are or you aren’t.

Or sick enough that you can’t function. So, if you can function. Drive, shower, or get dressed, you should attend Mass?

I honestly hope that most people ignore you advice. I really don’t want people sitting anywhere near me if they are contagious, at all. Or if they are sick, whether they can function or not.

To the OP.
If you truly cannot get to Mass, then you cannot get to Mass. The relevant citations have already been sited.
 
But only to the point of being “very” contagious? Being contagious is like being pregnant. There is no such thing as a little bit pregnant or a little bit contagious. You either are or you aren’t.
Well I would say that something like AIDS is contagious but not very contagious, whereas the flu is very contagious. So there is a difference.

And my point about not being able to function means that if I have a headache and am not feeling great, but can still drive, read, eat, etc., I’m probably ok to go to Mass. It might not be comfortable, but I could function. But if someone has a terrible migraine (also NOT contagious), that’s different, as they may feel the effects of the headache so badly that they can’t really do too much.
 
Last edited:
Unless you are going to wear a face mask and refrain from handshakes, it is best to stay home even with a “little cold”. You don’t know if the people around you have some sort of condition where a cold could be serious for them, heck, for babies, elderly, people with chronic cardiac issues, people on Chemotherapy a little cold can be fatal.

If you have a fever, stay home. If you are coughing and sneezing, keep it covered with a mask.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top