Missing mass on working weekends

  • Thread starter Thread starter cviolette
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

cviolette

Guest
I have been struggling on whether or not I need to attend mass on the weekends that I work. I was told because I was working with the sick that I could go to a daily mass for my Sunday Obligation.

I work every other weekend. I could fit in a mass but my busy weeks are exhausting and I need the sleep to stay healthy and have the strength and focus to do my job.

On my working weekends, I work 10 AM to 10PM on Saturday, Sunday and Monday. Have a 5 hour class on Tuesday and work 10 AM to 10 PM on Wednesday. I could get up early on Sunday and go to the 8AM mass. I have done this but it is hard and stressful.

The problem is that I have a very physical job and some of my patients are not only physically demanding but violent. So I need to stay alert and focused for my safety, the patient’s safety and my partner’s safety. By the end of the day I am exhausted. I go home pick up whatever mess my family left for me than go right to sleep. My 12 hours are nonstop and if we are fully staffed (which isn’t often) I might get a 15 minute break.

I go to daily mass every Thursday and was hoping that could count for the missed mass.

I am fine getting up early on the first or last day of a long stretch. On the first day, I can go to bed early the night before. On the last day, I know I can sleep in the next day. In the middle, is hard.
 
For a clear conscience, I would suggest that you discuss your situation FULLY with your geograhpical pastor (the pastor of the parish in which you live - as under canon law only he has spiritual jurisdiction/authority over you - regardless of which parish you attend). If he agrees that it is justified, he can dispense you from your Sunday obligation. Make sure you that you emphasize that you are still going to mass every Thursday.
 
Daily Mass cannot count for Sunday Mass, BUT your work schedule and physical needs (rest, food) can dispense you from your obligation. Please do discuss this with your priest, he will be able to grant your dispensation and counsel you on what you can do to improve your spiritual outlook.

God bless you for your service to those in need. I will be praying for you.
 
I am in the same situation, though I do not work with the sick. I can handle Saturday Vigil Mass when I am on days, at least at this time. I can not handle any Mass time when I am on nights. I talked to the priest of my parish and received a dispensation on those weekends, even though one is already not obligated if there is no minister or other grave cause.
 
Thanks for everyone’s (name removed by moderator)ut. I will talk to my priest. He knows where I work and that I go to daily mass. We are a very small parish.
 
I am in the same situation, though I do not work with the sick. I can handle Saturday Vigil Mass when I am on days, at least at this time. I can not handle any Mass time when I am on nights. I talked to the priest of my parish and received a dispensation on those weekends, even though one is already not obligated if there is no minister or other grave cause.
Plus, switching from days to nights must really throw your body off and mess up your sleep pattern. I make sure I pray on the way into work and throughout the day. It is easy to be thankful to God when I see how one accident can change you completely.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top