Mocking hymns

  • Thread starter Thread starter Not_Sure_1
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
N

Not_Sure_1

Guest
So I observed some of the praise and worship sessions done by the Catholic group at my school, and later I described (to myself, as thoughts, afterwards) the whole singing hymns with a guitar, and waving arms and all sorts of stuff that came with it, as happy clappy protestant bs (spelling out bs). Was this grave matter?

At first I say no, because of criticizing the hymns is like criticizing and mocking the work of any man (without mocking the man). But then I look back on Bathsheba mocking David for singing and dancing unto the Lord, and say yes, it is grave.

Is it grave?
 
Well, it is never a good idea to mock anything, especially people celebrating God. That doesn’t mean you have to personally like it, but you should still appreciate it. From my experience sometimes best way to do it is to stay away as far as you can. I for example avoid youth masses in my parish by all means 😃
Weather or not was your mocking a grave matter I cannot tell ( I guess not?),
but committing an act that is a grave matter is not always a mortal sin, for it you need to have knowledge that what you are doing is seriously wrong and then freely consenting to it (from your post I don’t think you had it at a time)

God bless 🙂
 
Oh, I wouldn’t worry so much about having passing thoughts that are less than charitable. We all do. I would say it would be best not to nurture that in your head, as best you can. Like the above poster said, if it bothers your spirit, it is best to avoid it as best you can, but try to see charity in all the cathlic (universal) Church.
 
Read the book: “Why Catholics Can’t Sing”. It might explain for you why some hymns invite mocking and criticism–the music and lyrics of many newer church hymns come from a place of self-worship, not God worship.
 
I remember when my children were small and came home from school singing “while angels wash their socks by night” and “we three kings…one on a bicycle two in a car”. Should I belt them and put them off church and carols for good? Or… well, no “or”: I couldn’t help the laughter which burst from me. Jack London, the author, wrote that when he was a child he thought God’s name was Harold: “Our Father…Harold be they name…”
I KNOW that my God likes a chuckle.
Regarding happy clappy hymns I think you’ll find that most of them are sung TO Jesus, while so many of our traditional hymns are ABOUT God, or saints. Just an observation. But some my Spirit really enjoys are “How great Thou art” “Jesus, You are Lord” “Lord Jesus Christ, you have come to us”. “Make me a channel of your peace” I find another weepy!
After the Falklands war, Margaret Thatcher came out of no. 10 Downing Street and quoted from “Make me a channel of your peace”. She shot up in my Mum’s estimation: “she’s a Catholic, my son; she quoted St. Francis!”😛
BTW At a later telecast some anti-Thatcherite showed the whole clip. As the PM was saying “…To be loved, as to love with all my soul” one of her aides tapped his watch and said “Mrs. Thatcher…” She turned on him like a wildcat and snarled: “I HAVEN’T FINISHED” I never told Mum that!🙂
 
Thank you all.
My conscience plays with me sometimes, but in this case it was after I had done it rather than before I had done it.
 
So I observed some of the praise and worship sessions done by the Catholic group at my school, and later I described (to myself, as thoughts, afterwards) the whole singing hymns with a guitar, and waving arms and all sorts of stuff that came with it, as happy clappy protestant bs (spelling out bs). Was this grave matter?

At first I say no, because of criticizing the hymns is like criticizing and mocking the work of any man (without mocking the man). But then I look back on Bathsheba mocking David for singing and dancing unto the Lord, and say yes, it is grave.

Is it grave?
Minor nit-pick – it was Michal; David wasn’t even aware of Bathsheba at this point in his life.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top