T
TMC
Guest
Yes, I read that, as I think should be obvious from my post. But I still think it odd to say that the timing of the ensoulment is irrelevant. It seems to me that there are times when it would be highly relevant.He says this:
That being said, the moral teaching of the Church is that the human embryo must be treated as if** it were already ensouled, even if it might not yet be so. It must be treated* as if* it were a person from the moment of conception, even if there exists the theoretical possibility that it might not yet be so. Why this rather subtle, nuanced position, instead of simply declaring outright that zygotes are ensouled, and therefore are persons? First, because there has never been a unanimous tradition on this point; and second, because the precisetiming of ensoulment/personhood of the human embryo is irrelevant to the question of whether or not we may ever destroy such embryos for research or other purposes.