B
bc96christian
Guest
First, let me briefly introduce myself. I am a Protestant (since my parents are) but lately have been very concerned with practices of our church and churches similar to ours. I have been deeply exploring Anglicanism, Catholicism, and Lutheranism over the past 2 years and thought I should post a quick question.
If (the type) of Christianity Christ established in the New Testament was perfect (since Jesus is perfect, so what he institutes is thereby meant to be), then why to Protestant churches (excluding Lutheranism, I think) attempt to modernize Christianity by ditching liturgical practices and implementing loud, modern music, “relevant” sermons, or concert lights? The Church 2000 years ago didn’t have any of these things, and it appears to be evident through the readings of the Church Fathers that early forms of Christianity included highly liturgical practices. The church I go to (non-denominational) does not even have communion but a few times a year!
I think so many people in the congregation like the loud concert-like music more than they do the sermon, or so it seems. BUT- Don’t get me wrong- I fully believe that God can work through any congregation, and if churches believe that loud music can bring people to Christ, then so be it. But what I do not understand is…what was initially wrong with Christianity that provoked such a drastic change from lots of sincere, liturgical worship to horribly-written, theology-lacking music and “relevant” sermons?
Does anyone have any thoughts or opinions about this? I truly appreciate and respect anybody’s opinions and am very thankful for your participation in commenting on this post.
If (the type) of Christianity Christ established in the New Testament was perfect (since Jesus is perfect, so what he institutes is thereby meant to be), then why to Protestant churches (excluding Lutheranism, I think) attempt to modernize Christianity by ditching liturgical practices and implementing loud, modern music, “relevant” sermons, or concert lights? The Church 2000 years ago didn’t have any of these things, and it appears to be evident through the readings of the Church Fathers that early forms of Christianity included highly liturgical practices. The church I go to (non-denominational) does not even have communion but a few times a year!
I think so many people in the congregation like the loud concert-like music more than they do the sermon, or so it seems. BUT- Don’t get me wrong- I fully believe that God can work through any congregation, and if churches believe that loud music can bring people to Christ, then so be it. But what I do not understand is…what was initially wrong with Christianity that provoked such a drastic change from lots of sincere, liturgical worship to horribly-written, theology-lacking music and “relevant” sermons?
Does anyone have any thoughts or opinions about this? I truly appreciate and respect anybody’s opinions and am very thankful for your participation in commenting on this post.