Mom thinking about non-denomination church

  • Thread starter Thread starter joshnov17
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

joshnov17

Guest
My mom recently told me that her niece, my cousin, took her to a non-denomination church for Sunday service. My mom said she really liked it and am worried that this will become a routine thing. The thing is that my family is labeled “catholic” and I put it in quotes because not many are practicing Catholics. Many have gotten the “spiritual and prayer” motto. The ones that say, “I don’t really have to affiliate myself with a certain religion, all I have to do is pray, believe in Jesus, and try to live a good life.”

This is a big concern to me, especially since this attitude is slowly seeping into my mom’s way of thinking. And the thing is that really bothered me was that she said the next time I visit her, she wants me and my sister to go along because she says we’ll really like it.

I’m just getting this out there because I’m really concerned that my mom will fall away from the One True Church that Christ established, the Catholic Church.

I hope and pray that she comes back and sees the Light of Christ in the Catholic Church.
 
My mom recently told me that her niece, my cousin, took her to a non-denomination church for Sunday service. My mom said she really liked it and am worried that this will become a routine thing. The thing is that my family is labeled “catholic” and I put it in quotes because not many are practicing Catholics. Many have gotten the “spiritual and prayer” motto. The ones that say, “I don’t really have to affiliate myself with a certain religion, all I have to do is pray, believe in Jesus, and try to live a good life.”

This is a big concern to me, especially since this attitude is slowly seeping into my mom’s way of thinking. And the thing is that really bothered me was that she said the next time I visit her, she wants me and my sister to go along because she says we’ll really like it.

I’m just getting this out there because I’m really concerned that my mom will fall away from the One True Church that Christ established, the Catholic Church.

I hope and pray that she comes back and sees the Light of Christ in the Catholic Church.
May be she needs your help in strenghtening her beliefs and faith in the true Church, take her to church on sundays, read the bible with her use the many gifts that Catholic answers provides to help you in doing this.
And yes we should also pray for her and you.
 
I don’t live in the same city so going to Mass on Sunday’s is a problem. The only time I can think of is whenever I visit.

But yes…praying for her, and especially myself, is priority in showing the fruits of Christ within the church.

Thanks for your answer!!!
😃
 
Let us keep our rhetoric straight. The Catholic Church is the non-denominational Church. Don’t let the schismatics define the language.

The attractive thing about many modern evangelical churches is their simplicity and appeal to (human) emotion.
 
So, your Mom would leave Jesus in the Eucharist for what? Someone “being nice” to her?!

There are three reasons to remain Catholic for your Mom:
  1. The Eucharist.
  2. The Eucharist.
  3. The Eucharist.
Add to that the other Sacraments.
 
Well…what really can you do?

If she lives a righteous life and continues to make her Easter duty she’s still ‘good to go’ in a matter of speaking.Just continue to pray for the return of her better judgement and let it go, you’re tracking well with doing that.
 
Just to add…I would suggest that the next time you visit you DO go with her…(also go to mass and take her with you).

Then after the service you can have a good long conversation about what you and she experienced, what she likes/dislikes, what “church” means, the great gifts and spiritual riches in the Catholic Church and so forth.

You might even lay some of that groundwork now through phone and written communication.

Peace
James
 
My mom recently told me that her niece, my cousin, took her to a non-denomination church for Sunday service. My mom said she really liked it and am worried that this will become a routine thing. The thing is that my family is labeled “catholic” and I put it in quotes because not many are practicing Catholics. Many have gotten the “spiritual and prayer” motto. The ones that say, “I don’t really have to affiliate myself with a certain religion, all I have to do is pray, believe in Jesus, and try to live a good life.”

This is a big concern to me, especially since this attitude is slowly seeping into my mom’s way of thinking. And the thing is that really bothered me was that she said the next time I visit her, she wants me and my sister to go along because she says we’ll really like it.

I’m just getting this out there because I’m really concerned that my mom will fall away from the One True Church that Christ established, the Catholic Church.

I hope and pray that she comes back and sees the Light of Christ in the Catholic Church.
Leaflet her house with prayer cards.
Enroll her in all the societies you can find.
Plant scapulars all over her house next time you visit.
Get her on all the prayer lists (Catholic of course) that you can.
Talk about a trip to the Vatican.
Get her some statues and crucifixes for the house.
Take some holy water to her next time you visit.
Pray to her guardian angel for help in keeping her away from these false churches.
If she has a patron saint, pray to her too.

Caveat: Only some of the above are practical.

Okay, almost none of them are. I’m just trying to get you to smile.

Seriously, though. It’s time to start reeling your mother back into the Church. This is how people stray away. It’s awkward as heck to talk to a parent about their faith, but you can probably do it in a way that won’t set her off. I’ll let you figure that out. In the meantime, I’ll pray for you and her both.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top