J
Jaberwocky
Guest
Hello,
This is an issue that worries me much that I finally thought I will post it hear to get some help.
I have been attending mass daily at the current parish close to 4 years now. The parish priest follows almost all the liturgical rules and the mass is for the most part very reverent.
However, in all these 4 years, he has never once mentioned sin or repentance. He does not mention hell either but I can at least understand that he might feel there is no need to mention it if he can keep everyone from it. I however do not understand his silence on sin and repentance. Only time he speaks of the sacrament of confession is during the service he has before confession during that single day in lent but even then there is not much mention of repentance.
Only thing he emphasizes in his homilies or other times is temporal works of charity to help the poor. He even tells us that we are doing more than enough anyway and what he says is almost redundant.
To somewhat add to the problem, I have also noticed that he avoids ever mentioning asking saints for their intercession. Even with the Blessed Virgin Mary on a feast day, only thing that is mentioned is to imitate her (again with temporal works of charity). In this month of November I was once again reminded how he avoids saying that we pray for souls in purgatory. It is stated as more of a remembrance of those who died.
Now lately I feel like I am doing wrong in being silent and never speaking to him about it. It is so much so that it eats away at me. But at the same time, I feel like I might be concerning myself with things that are above me. He is a priest and I am really just a no body in his parish with no credentials or ministry in the Church.
Is it wrong if I speak to him? Are there any saints who have written on what a lay person should do in such a case? Is the only option to just continue to pray for him? I just feel that just praying is not enough because it feels like he is not helping many as effectively as he could if he would speak the entire Catholic faith. But I do accept if this is just my own weakness and will work on it instead but I just want to be sure that it is what I must do.
This is an issue that worries me much that I finally thought I will post it hear to get some help.
I have been attending mass daily at the current parish close to 4 years now. The parish priest follows almost all the liturgical rules and the mass is for the most part very reverent.
However, in all these 4 years, he has never once mentioned sin or repentance. He does not mention hell either but I can at least understand that he might feel there is no need to mention it if he can keep everyone from it. I however do not understand his silence on sin and repentance. Only time he speaks of the sacrament of confession is during the service he has before confession during that single day in lent but even then there is not much mention of repentance.
Only thing he emphasizes in his homilies or other times is temporal works of charity to help the poor. He even tells us that we are doing more than enough anyway and what he says is almost redundant.
To somewhat add to the problem, I have also noticed that he avoids ever mentioning asking saints for their intercession. Even with the Blessed Virgin Mary on a feast day, only thing that is mentioned is to imitate her (again with temporal works of charity). In this month of November I was once again reminded how he avoids saying that we pray for souls in purgatory. It is stated as more of a remembrance of those who died.
Now lately I feel like I am doing wrong in being silent and never speaking to him about it. It is so much so that it eats away at me. But at the same time, I feel like I might be concerning myself with things that are above me. He is a priest and I am really just a no body in his parish with no credentials or ministry in the Church.
Is it wrong if I speak to him? Are there any saints who have written on what a lay person should do in such a case? Is the only option to just continue to pray for him? I just feel that just praying is not enough because it feels like he is not helping many as effectively as he could if he would speak the entire Catholic faith. But I do accept if this is just my own weakness and will work on it instead but I just want to be sure that it is what I must do.