Moral/Ethical dilemna - job related

  • Thread starter Thread starter Deacon2Be
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Having worked with one of these head-hunters…If they want you, they make an offer. If they are still interviewing, you may be on the short list but not high enough to make an offer and they are hedging their bets.

Apologies to any recruiters, but…I really despise that industry. Full of liars.
It’s the hiring firm that decides whether to offer or not, and whether to interview more. The HH is just a conduit; and, yes, many of them are sleazy.

But from the point of view of someone that hires peopl, if I set up 5 interviews with candidates, and #2 knock my socks off, I still go ahead and interview the rest. It’s partially courtesy, and partially the fact that one of #3,4, and 5 might be even better.

Also, if my best offer was 15% less than the person’s current pay, I would think there’s a 90% chance he turns me down even if I offer him the job on the spot.

God Bless
 
Gorgias said:
(If you do train him, and then you end up getting the job, don’t you think that at least some little part of him will wonder whether your training effort was honest and complete?)
No I do not think that. He knows I have way more experience and knowledge than he does. Why do you think he’s coming to me for training?

Why’s he coming to you? Well, I’m pretty certain that it’s not because he knows you’re the competition…! 😉

In fact, from an ethical perspective, I think that telling him that you’ve already interviewed for that position is an absolute ‘must’. Let him make the decision about whether to go ahead with the refresher training; but definitely tell him.
 
Why’s he coming to you? Well, I’m pretty certain that it’s not because he knows you’re the competition…! 😉

In fact, from an ethical perspective, I think that telling him that you’ve already interviewed for that position is an absolute ‘must’. Let him make the decision about whether to go ahead with the refresher training; but definitely tell him.
Update: I sent him a text. We spoke on the phone. We are good. We are not going to do the training tomorrow. He understood completely, and didn’t want this to get in the way of a friendship.

So, no training. We’re all above board. We know we are each other’s competition; but in this case he has the advantage. His asking price is significantly lower than mine.

And as far as the 15% pay cut goes from a previous poster…anytime you can move from a job that takes 2 hours to get to and 2 hours home each day, and costs over $400 per month in transit fares, you consider a pay cut. And as I told the interviewer, compensation isn’t only about salary $. There are other factors that play into it.

Thanks for all the help everyone! It really was a big help to talk this through.
 
I would tell your friend that you can’t meet with him because it would be a conflict of interest since you have applied for the same job. Perhaps you could suggest someone else who might be able to meet with him and bring him up to speed on the software.
 
Update: I sent him a text. We spoke on the phone. We are good. We are not going to do the training tomorrow. He understood completely, and didn’t want this to get in the way of a friendship.

So, no training. We’re all above board. We know we are each other’s competition; but in this case he has the advantage. His asking price is significantly lower than mine.

And as far as the 15% pay cut goes from a previous poster…anytime you can move from a job that takes 2 hours to get to and 2 hours home each day, and costs over $400 per month in transit fares, you consider a pay cut. And as I told the interviewer, compensation isn’t only about salary $. There are other factors that play into it.

Thanks for all the help everyone! It really was a big help to talk this through.
I’ve been reading your thread and just wanted to wish you all the best! I hope you get the job!

👍
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top