I think it is harder to make friends as you get older because most people are happy with their defined social groups, they aren’t looking to make new friends for the most part. When I stopped traveling for work and relocated, I really only had a handful of friends in the area that I knew from college. Several months went by of seeing the same people and doing the same things and I just got sick of it and decided to branch out and join different activities. I started meeting tons of new people and always accepted invites to attend anything in hopes it would be fun and there would be more nice people there.
Close to a year after I moved I starting forming some friendships with people who I am now very good friends with and we hangout regularly. Now 2.5 years later I feel like I know so many people and when I go out in the city I actually see people I know or find that I meet new people who are friends with my friends or people I know. I have had some really cool ‘six degrees of separation’ experiences. It is a nice feeling. I still am good friends with the people I knew from college when I moved to the area, but they still only hangout within that small social circle. To contrast my experience…many of them have lived in this area for 5+ years and don’t have more than one new friend.
But we’ve just ended up getting in fights with other groups we’ve been invited to hang with at get togethers over religion (Catholicism and atheism)
My suggestion would be to not discuss religion at all. Or politics for that matter. These subjects can be very divisive when you meet new people and they don’t really know you well. Viewpoints/comments can come off as insulting, mean, rude, etc. I feel like those topics should be reserved for venues specifically meant for their discussion or with close established friends who can talk with you about the subject matter and won’t get mad at you.
There is a reason many bars will kick out patrons speaking about religion and politics. Back in 2004, prior to the Presidential election, my friend and I were discussing Bush/Kerry while waiting for a drink and the bartender told us we needed to talk about something else or leave. Granted he didn’t know that we were very good friends and could discuss the topic civilized, but in retrospect, all it could take is someone nearby to over hear us and disagree and then an argument could ensure.
and gonig to strip clubs (which i am strongly opposed to and they tried to convince me for about 45 minutes that i need to go…while they were driving to one).
I’ve been pressured to go to strip clubs in the past, but refused and eventually those who said I ‘have to go’ eased up and respected my decision. Some of the ‘pressure’ was done jokingly and in some instances it wasn’t. They have never asked me to go again.
All in all, I don’t see why someone you don’t know well would suggest going to a strip club. It just seems odd (and sleazy) to me.