Mormans and cross medals

• Thread starter Thread starter archdeaconb
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

archdeaconb

A friend of mine’s daughter tried to give a morman playmate a cross medal as a gift but the mormon girl told her she was not allowed to have it. Anyone know why mormons would not be allowed to where a cross medal?

This information straight from Salt Lake City:

*36863, True to the Faith, Cross, 45-46
The cross is used in many Christian churches as a symbol of the Savior’s death and Resurrection and as a sincere expression of faith. As members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, we also remember with reverence the suffering of the Savior. But because the Savior lives, we do not use the symbol of His death as the symbol of our faith.
…]
The only members of the Church who wear the symbol of the cross are Latter-day Saint chaplains, who wear it on their military uniforms to show that they are Christian chaplains.

See also Atonement of Jesus Christ; Jesus Christ; Resurrection*

Since they don’t believe that Jesus was God but the son of a man from the planet Kolob, they are not Christian but a cult created by a con-artist. Don’t pay attention to what they do, there is no reason.

The reason they do not wear the cross is because, mostly, they believe that Christ’s atonement for our sins should be emphasized in the Garden of Gethsemane. Also, they will say, if your loved one died in a car accident, would you wear a car around your neck?. They’ll say they focus on His life and the atonement in Gethsemane, not the cross.

The cross does not have the “Catholic” sentiment for them.

Peace

BTW-Maybe if TomNossor is out there he will give you a first hand response, he is LDS.

I like what AmadaPS said. (I do not much like nor agree with what Dutch said… imagine that).

During our partaking of the Sacrament (Bread and Water symbolic of Body and Blood, not the real presence unfortunately) I have visualized the cross. It is certainly not offensive to me. I am not aware of any rule that forbids the wearing of the cross.

It is true that LDS believe that the atonement occurred at Gethsemane and at Calvary, but it was certainly not finished until Jesus Christ said it was.

Charity, TOm

40.png
AmandaPS:
This information straight from Salt Lake City:

36863, True to the Faith, Cross, 45-46
The cross is used in many Christian churches as a symbol of the Savior’s death and Resurrection and as a sincere expression of faith. As members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, we also remember with reverence the suffering of the Savior. But because the Savior lives, we do not use the symbol of His death as the symbol of our faith.
…]
The only members of the Church who wear the symbol of the cross are Latter-day Saint chaplains, who wear it on their military uniforms to show that they are Christian chaplains.

See also Atonement of Jesus Christ; Jesus Christ; Resurrection
I was going to say pretty much what you quoted without the part on the Chaplin though. Its amassing how they change their faith and morals as they see fit? To justify what they do? Amazing, I never met a Mormon Chaplin after 21 years in the service? Considering their ‘Bishops’ are volunteered and rotate how could they have a Chaplin? Elders are teenagers and priests are kids? They have no clergy as we RC’s know it. Don’t Chaplains need some kind of degree? Jewish Chaplins wear a Star of David couldn’t Mormon Chaplins wear an angel blowing a horn or the sign of the nail, etc…?

Most of my kids friends are Mormon and I have rosaries hanging in all my vehicles. They stare at the rosary and stare and stare… They won’t mention it but they do study it. I also wear a crucifix at work and you can watch their eyes focus on it. OK, I live in Utah if you haven’t guessed by now.

It was Jesus’ death on the cross that forgives our sins. Should we not focus on the moment in time all Mankind was forgiven of sin if they follow Jesus?

By the way, I think RC’s focus on the risen Jesus as much or more then others. The crucifix is just a reminder of what He did for us and gives the ‘risen’ Jesus even more glory.

Malachi4U

40.png
Malachi4U:
Most of my kids friends are Mormon and I have rosaries hanging in all my vehicles. They stare at the rosary and stare and stare… They won’t mention it but they do study it. I also wear a crucifix at work and you can watch their eyes focus on it. OK, I live in Utah if you haven’t guessed by now.

Malachi4U
It’s been a while since you posted this but my computer has been down. As you can see by my screen name, I live in Utah as well. When my husband was in the RCIA, I was looking for a rosary for him. I found one in a magazine and asked one of my Mormon friends if she thought it was too feminine for a man. She said it was nice but maybe I should take the beads off of it. I pointed out that it was the beads that made it a rosary. She thought it was just a necklace. I had to laugh. She’s one who I can really discuss religion with. We talk about our similarities (not many) and differences with respect to each other. Any way, I just thought you might get a kick out of that story.

Peace be with you,
Maggie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back