Mormon To Catholic and Married To Mormon

  • Thread starter Thread starter PolycarpMagic
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

PolycarpMagic

Guest
My wife and I are in our mid twenties and have two children. We’re both Mormon. My wife and I are both currently active, however I want to convert to Catholicism. She had been baptized and confirmed Catholic but formally converted to the LDS faith. Our oldest son wishes to remain Mormon. Our youngest is still a baby.

My questions are as follows:

If I convert, what are my expected duties as a parent in religious rearing of our children?
(Especially if my older child wishes to remain LDS. And what of the newest child?)

What are the laws governing marital relations within my marriage/will these be affected by my conversion (ie. Will our sexual relationship be able to continue as normal?)

How would we handle Sundays, as my wife has no problem standing Mass vigil Saturday night, but what of my attendance to Sacrament Meeting with my family?
(It is very important to my family and I that we are together.)

Please feel free to add on any other incidental issues I may have forgotten to mention.

Thank you very much for your responses.
 
My wife and I are in our mid twenties and have two children. We’re both Mormon. My wife and I are both currently active, however I want to convert to Catholicism. She had been baptized and confirmed Catholic but formally converted to the LDS faith. Our oldest son wishes to remain Mormon. Our youngest is still a baby.

My questions are as follows:

If I convert, what are my expected duties as a parent in religious rearing of our children?
(Especially if my older child wishes to remain LDS. And what of the newest child?)
Speak to a Catholic Priest to confirm this; however, you are the head of the family… where the head goes, the body follows. As parents, we are to guide aour children and teach them the truth. If you have been given the grace by God to know that the Catholic Church is in fact God’s Church on Earth, your duty is to lead your children (both on them) to the Truth.
What are the laws governing marital relations within my marriage/will these be affected by my conversion (ie. Will our sexual relationship be able to continue as normal?)
Again, this needs to be gone over with a Catholic Priest. It sounds like your wife is a Catholic who left the faith to join the LDS Church. Simply not practicing Catholicism does not remove the fact that she remains Catholic, whether she realizes and accepts this or not. Therefore, since the Church may indeed see her as Catholic they may not recognize the marriage unless she had received a dispensation from her bishop to marry outside the Church. That would mean that in the eyes of God and the Church marital relations should not be taking place. But I encourage you to speak to a Priest to be sure.
How would we handle Sundays, as my wife has no problem standing Mass vigil Saturday night, but what of my attendance to Sacrament Meeting with my family?
(It is very important to my family and I that we are together.)
The Church requires that you meet your Sunday obligations as well as the Holy Days of Obligations. As far as the Sunday Obligations are concerned, you may attend vigil Mass on Saturday evenings in place of the Sunday mass. As for attending a service in addition to meeting the weekly obligation, you can continue to do so. However, I again say to speak with a Catholic Priest to confirm all of this.

Please don’t think me uncharitable; I don’t mean to come off that way; but, how old is your oldest? You said that you were in your mid-twenties so I am assuming that oldest is still pretty young. This is a very important decision and one that most young children are not ready to decide upon on their own. I’ll say a prayer for you and your family. God bless.
 
My questions are as follows:
These are questions to discuss with the Catholic priest in your local parish
If I convert, what are my expected duties as a parent in religious rearing of our children? (Especially if my older child wishes to remain LDS. And what of the newest child?)
To do the best you can regarding their religious upbringing.

Someone will probably post that you must raise all children Catholic. This is simply not true. You must do your best to do so. In a mixed marriage situation, particularly a convert situation where children are already practicing another religion, it is best to have a discussion with your priest and ask his advice on the best path forward if your wife is not in agreement regarding raising the children Catholic.
What are the laws governing marital relations within my marriage/will these be affected by my conversion (ie. Will our sexual relationship be able to continue as normal?)
Hmmm, not quite sure what you are asking. There aren’t any such laws.
How would we handle Sundays, as my wife has no problem standing Mass vigil Saturday night, but what of my attendance to Sacrament Meeting with my family?
(It is very important to my family and I that we are together.)
Again, a pastoral discussion between you and your priest.
Please feel free to add on any other incidental issues I may have forgotten to mention.

Thank you very much for your responses.
You do not mention if either of you has a previous marriage. That could be important and needs to be discussed with your priest.

Also, you mention your wife was baptized Catholic. This also has bearing on whether or not your marriage is currently valid. You also need to talk to your priest about that. Your marriage can be convadliated.
 
I heard this passage from the film about St. Thomas More, “A Man for All Seasons”, referred to in a homily recently:
*Virtually all the lines in A Man for All Seasons are timeless, but a few stand out. There is the scene in which prisoner More is urged by his longtime friend, the Duke of Norfolk, to sign the oath, expressing approval of the king’s divorce and remarriage and proclaiming the King of England the supreme head of the church in England. After all, all of the nobility and all the bishops but one (Blessed John Fisher) had signed that very oath.

“Look at these names, Thomas,” Norfolk pleaded. “Won’t you come with us, for fellowship?”

“And when you have gone to Heaven for following your conscience,” More replies, “and I have gone to Hell for not following mine, will you come with me — for fellowship?”*

I think that if you do what you can to form their consciences correctly, you may also defend the right of your wife and children to follow their consciences. What that does and does not allow you to do may be something you need to play by ear…or rather, something you may have to do by playing by conscience. Inform yourself of the rules, but also listen to what your informed conscience tells you with regards to the actual effects on your particular family as you make these decisions.

If your oldest son is old enough to express a wish about it, then it probably has to be his decision whether or not to convert to Catholicism. Parents can only decide on behalf of their children until their children are old enough to have a reasoned opinion of his or her own. What exact age that is depends on the child, but I don’t think any priest will baptise a child who is old enough to repeatedly protest *“I AM A MORMON! I DON’T WANT TO DO THIS!!”. *Certainly you can allow your spouse and a child who has reached the age of reason to attend another church, because you have not made marriage promises in which you accepted a duty to attempt to bring your children up Catholic. Your wife, being Catholic, had a duty to be married according to Catholic canon law and to make those promises on behalf of her children, but that is water under the bridge now. Being the child of a baptised Catholic, your child had the right to be baptised and raised Catholic, but again: Water under the bridge. That does not mean that you, as a Catholic parent, cannot require that he learn about your faith. That, like your decision that he has to learn math whether he likes it or not or to learn history whether he agrees with the teacher or not, is up to his parents, and will be for a long time.

If your spouse decides to come back to the Catholic Church, your son’s religious rights might become an issue, but that kind of difficulty is a poor reason to follow what you believe to be lacking truth instead of what you believe to be the truth. That applies to both you and your wife. You have to follow what your conscience tells you is true, and face the trials that this brings on. If you and your wife promised to bring your son up in the Mormon faith and he (being of an age that this is his decision) still wants to practice, you may find yourselves duty-bound to see to it that he is allowed to do that. When you allowed him to be baptised a Mormon, after all, you gave him the rights of a member of the LDS church.

As for what you may do to honor the promises you made when your son became a Mormon, you and then you and your wife ought to see the pastor of the parish where you wish to go through RCIA, and talk about that. That is where you will inform your conscience about the various moral principles that you will be weighing as you navigate these issues. As far as I know, the presence of a Catholic spouse who refuses to come back to the Church is not an impediment to the baptism of a non-Catholic. Still, talk to the pastor at your Catholic church. He’ll be able to lead you through the ins and outs of this.
 
You do not mention if either of you has a previous marriage. That could be important and needs to be discussed with your priest.
This would be particularly true if the Catholic wife had previously married according to the canon law of the Catholic Church and then failed (either by not trying or because the marriage had been valid) to obtain a decree of nullity prior to marrying her Mormon husband. Staying in a relationship which the Church would find objectively bigamous would be a serious issue.
 
My wife was a formal convert to LDS faith and our marriage is a first for both of us. Our oldest son is currently homeschooled for 1st grade (we married fairly young). In the LDS faith children are not baptized until they reach the age of reason (8 years for Mormons). My wife has not influenced our son one way or the other, but he has expressed wishes to be baptized when he is able.

As far as marital issues, I had been told by a friend who had tried to get his marriage convalidated with a non baptized spouse that they were not able to have relations until she was baptized and/or he got a dispensation and they were convalidated. I ask this question because this process was very complicated for him, wonder if this would be the case with my wife and I. Since she was baptized Catholic, I wonder if this applies as she formally left the church and became another religion.

Thank you for all the (name removed by moderator)ut.
 
My wife was a formal convert to LDS faith and our marriage is a first for both of us. Our oldest son is currently homeschooled for 1st grade (we married fairly young). In the LDS faith children are not baptized until they reach the age of reason (8 years for Mormons). My wife has not influenced our son one way or the other, but he has expressed wishes to be baptized when he is able.

As far as marital issues, I had been told by a friend who had tried to get his marriage convalidated with a non baptized spouse that they were not able to have relations until she was baptized and/or he got a dispensation and they were convalidated. I ask this question because this process was very complicated for him, wonder if this would be the case with my wife and I. Since she was baptized Catholic, I wonder if this applies as she formally left the church and became another religion.

Thank you for all the (name removed by moderator)ut.
At your son’s age, that is, at six or seven years old, he would only be baptized by his own volition, after going through the Rite of Christian Initiation for Children. He is too old for you to make that decision for him.

I’m not qualified to say what the answer is with regards to your marriage and your wife, but there is probably someone here who at least has formal training in what theories apply.
 
Just wanted to make a note, which I haven’t seen addressed yet. If you join the Catholic Church then you should not be taking the sacrament at the LDS Church. But you are free to attend, just not participate. Only wanted to point this out.

And I think its great you want to start RCIA, as I’m also LDS converting to Catholicism this year.
 
I went through RCIA 2 years ago and loved it 🙂 you’ve had some great answers to your questions, so I’ll just lend my support and let you know I’m praying for you 🙂
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top