M
mattkubes
Guest
I’m not sure if this has been discussed before (though I have a feeling it probably has), but it’s something that I’ve been wondering about for a while now.
I think I understand the concept of mortal sin killing grace in our souls, but I’m wondering what impact this has on the ‘effectiveness’ of prayer. I’m sure God can hear the prayers of those who are not in a state of grace, but will these prayers have any merit? If I pray for others (friends, family, of those souls in Purgatory), are those prayers answered? Will the Saints still intercede on our behalf? In this state, should we bother approaching God with out intentions in such an undeserving manner? I know the best solution to this problem is to go to Confession as soon as possible, but in our society where it’s rare to see more than a half-hour allotted to this Sacrament each week, we sometimes have to wait.
These questions might have simple answers, but the fact that even a single mortal sin can send us to damnation got me wondering as to whether or not there is a similar or parallel effect in this life. Thanks for your insight!
I think I understand the concept of mortal sin killing grace in our souls, but I’m wondering what impact this has on the ‘effectiveness’ of prayer. I’m sure God can hear the prayers of those who are not in a state of grace, but will these prayers have any merit? If I pray for others (friends, family, of those souls in Purgatory), are those prayers answered? Will the Saints still intercede on our behalf? In this state, should we bother approaching God with out intentions in such an undeserving manner? I know the best solution to this problem is to go to Confession as soon as possible, but in our society where it’s rare to see more than a half-hour allotted to this Sacrament each week, we sometimes have to wait.
These questions might have simple answers, but the fact that even a single mortal sin can send us to damnation got me wondering as to whether or not there is a similar or parallel effect in this life. Thanks for your insight!