S
Stephen_C
Guest
Since you do not believe the Catholic Church is the one true Church then I can see your point. But I truly believe the Catholic Church is the one Church founded by Jesus. The one Peter got the keys to, and the authority to bind and loose. Since it appears you do not believe that apostolic succession thing either, then again I can see your point. But I do believe it all, therefore I believe it is all biblical as well.No, I think we are bound to obey the civil law, assuming that the law does not contradict God’s law.
What I don’t buy is that the Pope, or the Church, can mandate something that is not mandated by scripture and, in fact, scripture states is within the realm of Christian liberty, and then teach that it is sin if you willfully disobey the mandate. Such as no meat on Fridays. Who cares whether you eat meat on Fridays or not? Is there a biblical prohibition against eating meat on Fridays? Of course not, indeed we are told by Christ himself that it is not what goes into a man which makes him unclean. Nonetheless, the Church presume to take upon itself the authority to decree something that is outside of the mandate of scripture and, then, tells you that if you knowingly and willfully disobey you commit mortal sin which, of course, sends you to hell if you are unrepentent. No wonder Martin Luther fought against this mindset.