M
murphdog261
Guest
I went to go see a priest at my parish, and it came up in conversation how the father did not think that it was a mortal sin to miss a Sunday mass. I know nothing about the development or the history behind this teaching, except that the CC teaches that it is a mortal sin the miss Sunday mass.
When the priest asked me, “Do you really think some one will burn for eternity because they missed a mass on Sunday?” , I replied that I had to observe the teaching of the Church. The priest said “That’s good, but God also gave you a brain” (laughing a bit).
I don’t think that this priest has bad intentions, but he did say that "some people may not like the legalistic nature of Catholicism, and that is why they may steer towards other mainstream denominations (Lutheran, episcopalian, Anglican etc.)
My question: **For how long has the Church taught that missing Sunday mass is a mortal sin and why? **
Your thoughts are appreciated
In Christ,
Murph
When the priest asked me, “Do you really think some one will burn for eternity because they missed a mass on Sunday?” , I replied that I had to observe the teaching of the Church. The priest said “That’s good, but God also gave you a brain” (laughing a bit).
I don’t think that this priest has bad intentions, but he did say that "some people may not like the legalistic nature of Catholicism, and that is why they may steer towards other mainstream denominations (Lutheran, episcopalian, Anglican etc.)
My question: **For how long has the Church taught that missing Sunday mass is a mortal sin and why? **
Your thoughts are appreciated
In Christ,
Murph