Mortal sin to not vote?

  • Thread starter Thread starter NickVA
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course it’s not a mortal sin! I’m not voting in the mayoral elections because I don’t care for the candidates. We should all vote, I strongly encourage it, but it’s not a sin not to. If there’s a pro-life guy who wants to get rid of the minimum wage and a pro-abortion candidate who supports lowering my tuition fees, I’m not going to vote because they both want to get rid of something I strongly support
 
That is clearly your right, but I don’t think it’s the right thing to do. By not voting , you allow a democrat or a VERY pro choice canidate to win. Will that help the pro-life cause?
I have yet to see a pro-choice republican help the cause to any substantial degree. Admittedly, I have never been in the situation that you describe, as the pro-choice GOP candidate is always the heavily favorite. If not, maybe I would reconsider my position. As it is, I won’t vote for her. And I vote against her in any primary where she has competition, which she has not for the last couple of times.
 
It is a mortal sin to vote for a Democrat;) …and I am not far from serious.
 
I have yet to see a pro-choice republican help the cause to any substantial degree. Admittedly, I have never been in the situation that you describe, as the pro-choice GOP candidate is always the heavily favorite. If not, maybe I would reconsider my position. As it is, I won’t vote for her. And I vote against her in any primary where she has competition, which she has not for the last couple of times.
Without a Republican majority, they can’t even bring the debate to the floor. THAT’S how they help.

They are also more likely to vote for supreme court nominations that themselves are conservative.
 
That’s a horrible idea. Republicans are not pro-life, either, or they would have done something about abortion when they had the chance, when they had complete control of both houses. Did you know there are over 80 registered political parties in this country? Am I the first to suggest that Catholics form their own party, and only let ACTUAL CATHOLICS run for office? We could beat out the Dems and Reps, both of whom I despise.
Did you know? The United States of America is the only republic in the world without something like a Christian Democrat Party. Now you know.

I heard this somewhere, and it may not be true, but it sounds about right.
 
I think some people are letting their own political opinions get in the way of their morals. I really don’t think that voting for a Democrat is a sin unless they are anti-life in some way. Point me out if I’m wrong.
 
I think some people are letting their own political opinions get in the way of their morals. I really don’t think that voting for a Democrat is a sin unless they are anti-life in some way. Point me out if I’m wrong.
Are people letting opinions get in the way of morals, or is this Church teaching?

So, eh… was I wrong?
 
So, eh… was I wrong?
You are asking, is voting for someone who carries the label “Democrat” guaranteed to be a sin? No, it is not.

You are also asking, is it a sin to vote for someone who is “anti-life” in some way? Well, there are lots of ways to be anti-life, and it could be that all your choices in the race were some form of it. In that case, I do not think we are obligated to abstain from voting.
 
I do not think there is an easy answer, and it may depend on the situation. I have a friend who is anti-statist and considers it his moral imperative not to participate in a system that does not have legitimate authority. I will have to ask him what he thinking about the pro-life issues.

There are so many factors to consider. Is the candidate really serious about a particular issue, or is he using it as leverage for votes? If elected, will the candidate even be able to effect much change on a particular issue? etc. etc. etc.
 
Is it true that it can be a mortal sin to not vote in an election?

Our Pastor wrote in the parish bulletin, that in his Opinion it could be a mortal sin to not vote in November’s election.

Is this True?
I’ll give you my mangy dog perspective and then I’ll be out of here.

In these last elections I felt that I was being made to choose the lesser of two [evils]. In other words, I saw in each of the candidates something (s) that they stood for that was out of line with my Catholic convictions.

I ( and this is just me) refused to be reduced to choosing the lesser of two evils and therefore - did not vote.

If there had been one single candidate that had stood for good christian values…I would’ve voted for him or her.

There wasn’t…and come next election year…there may still be none. My stance will still be the same.
 
it may or may not be a sin not to vote, but I can’t understand why anyone would choose not to.
I personally do not like voting, because neither democrat nor republican parties appeal to me. Republicans are too uptight, and the only thing they have going for them IMO is that they’re pro-life, but they don’t really do anything to stop abortions, so it’s all pretty futile. As for democrats, their specialty seems to be to promise change, but then do nothing and blame the past administration for their own inadequacy to do anything. Both sides disgust me.
Also agreed. However, people need to be aware that there are more choices than the two piles of garbage they are usually told they must choose between.
Sadly, there is no third choice. Sure, you can vote for a third party member, but it will be nothing more than an empty gesture, and a waste of time. The chances of anybody except a republican or a democrat getting into office are far too slim to even bother voting.
 
Not if your only two choices are a filthy Republican and a stinking Democrat…
Is it true that it can be a mortal sin to not vote in an election?

Our Pastor wrote in the parish bulletin, that in his Opinion it could be a mortal sin to not vote in November’s election.

Is this True?
 
Is it true that it can be a mortal sin to not vote in an election?

Our Pastor wrote in the parish bulletin, that in his Opinion it could be a mortal sin to not vote in November’s election.

Is this True?
Thanks for this topic?
Till today I did not even thinking that not to vot is a even sin.
 
The context of the obligation to vote is this section of the Catechism:
2240 Submission to authority and co-responsibility for the common good make it morally obligatory to pay taxes, to exercise the right to vote, and to defend one’s country:…
It is part of a larger responsibility to take part in civic life in general. The instructions are quite general. They do not say that you must vote in every single election. They say only that you are obligated to exercise the right. The exact degree and manner in which you exercise that right is determined by your prudential judgement.
 
what if you live in a country where there are no pro life candidates? 😦
Then you either run for office yourself, or you move to America…We would love to have you. Plenty of room. Trust me I know. I have traveled the length and breadth of this country, and plenty of open spaces. Come on over!🙂
 
That’s a horrible idea. Republicans are not pro-life, either, or they would have done something about abortion when they had the chance, when they had complete control of both houses. Did you know there are over 80 registered political parties in this country? Am I the first to suggest that Catholics form their own party, and only let ACTUAL CATHOLICS run for office? We could beat out the Dems and Reps, both of whom I despise.
I cannot Really dis agree with this…😉
 
It is a mortal sin to vote for a Democrat;) …and I am not far from serious.
I just find it interesting that there can be such a double standard with our Church. On the one hand they say vote pro life. On the other, Catholics vote overwealmingly for candidates who are pro choice, and Candidates who are very prochoice are allowed not excommunicated, but allowed full fellowship in the Church. What gives? Why was Ted Kennedy, never ex communicated. Let a poor Catholic take this view and see how far they get! I guess even in Gods Perfect Church, Money equals special privledges. We have other Catholic candidates that are pro choice. Why are they not being taken to task? Why are they allowed to partake of the Eucharist? I will tell you why. Power and Money. Period. The Church Has a Double Standard when it comes to the wealthy and the powerful. Sorry, sad but true. I will continue to vote, Libertarian and Constitutionalist. Peace 🙂
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top