R
Redratfish
Guest
I am debating with someone over whether there is such a thing as mortal sin. He is asking me how to determine whether something is seriously wrong. How should I answer him?
YOU SHALL LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART, AND WITH ALL YOUR SOUL, AND WITH ALL YOUR MIND.' 38 "This is the great and foremost commandment. 39 "The second is like it, YOU SHALL LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF. 40 “On these two commandments depend the whole Law and the Prophets.”Mijoy2,I hold perhaps a position that is not popular amongst most individuals in these forums.
I do not suggest there is no such thing as mortal sin. To do so would be to not follow the teachings of the church which one cannot do and claim to be catholic assuming they understanding the catholic teaching of the authority of the churh.
So yes, there is mortal (deadly) sin. Can we determine if a sin is mortal or not? Yes and no. I once had a friar tell me “if you committed a mortal sin you would know it”. I believe he meant if one commits a sin, with no remorse for doing so, fully understands he is committing grave matter and -does not care- he committed a mortal sin.
The level of -does not care- comes into play. “Full consent” is ambiguous at best.
What does it mean to consent fully? If i commit a sin through temptation and weakness, I go ahead with this sin honestly feeling badly about going ahead with it, desiring the temptation would leave, desiring the strength to stop, yet through my weakness I proceed, did I fully consent?
I’m not posing this looking for an answer. There are as many answers as there are catholics. I pose this response because I feel the answer to the question of what constitutes a mortal sin cannot be accurately answered by us.
Which also begs the follow-up question, “is the catholic church relevatisic in this matter”? a position She usually stands against (relevatism).
This is probably the biggest sticking point in my faith. One I know will never be adequetly answered. Ask 100 catholics get 101 answers.
Given that the passage from Matthew talks about sin that will never be forgiven, and Catholics believe there is forgiveness for mortal sins, I don’t understand why Catholics believe the doctrine of mortal sin is supported by that passage.Jesus,our Lords peace be whit You.
All You need to do is read to him/her from The Holy Bible Matt.12:30-32. The truth comes from the Gospels who tell us what Jesus said,and where His love and truth is,there He is. Pray,and The Holy Spirit will give You the words needed to be said.
Blessings,
Totterman
The sin against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven.Given that the passage from Matthew talks about sin that will never be forgiven, and Catholics believe there is forgiveness for mortal sins, I don’t understand why Catholics believe the doctrine of mortal sin is supported by that passage.
I don’t see anything in the Catechism that references Matt 12:30-32 in regards to mortal and venial sins. I think 1 John 5:16-17 is what the catechism is trying to reference, although it says 1 John 16-17. I think it is a long stretch to get from either verse to mortal and venial sins.The sin against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven.
My understanding of this sin is the refusal to ask for forgiveness, or the refusal to accept forgiveness.
Actually indirectly I think you just pointed to the Catholic teaching on Mortal Sin. You descibe the instance of ‘full consent’. Refusing to admit one is doing wrong when one knows one is doing wrong. And one knows through the graces of the Holy Spirit.
When one refuses these graces, one sins against the Holy Spirit. Amazing
Thanks.