Most Catholic Verse

  • Thread starter Thread starter JugglingReferee
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

JugglingReferee

Guest
If you had to pick one verse that was all Catholic, what would it be?
 
John 6:51

The teaching on the Eucharist, “the source and summit of the Christian life”
 
Matthew 24-26: *Then Jesus said to his disciples, “Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me. For whoever wants to save their life will lose it, but whoever loses their life for me will find it. What good will it be for someone to gain the whole world, yet forfeit their soul? *

Or what can anyone give in exchange for their soul? Fr. Romano Guardini: “Perhaps we come nearer to the truth when we say: Christ did not avoid pain, as we try to. He did not ignore it. He did not insulate himself from it. He received it into his heart. Sufferer himself and realist, he took people as he found them, with all their shortcomings. Voluntarily he shared their afflictions, their blame, their need. Herein lies the immeasurable depth and breadth of Christ’s love. Its power is the triumphant power of truth in a love which seizes reality and lifts it out of itself.”

Thoughts on Co-Suffering, an idea of Monsignor Lorenzo Albacete, the Puerto Rican physicist/priest here. I can’t think of anything more Catholic than that at as we wait for Easter.

dj
 
Obey your leaders and submit to them; for they are keeping watch over your souls, as men who will have to give account. Let them do this joyfully, and not sadly, for that would be of no advantage to you.
(Hebrews 13:17)
 
If you had to pick one verse that was all Catholic, what would it be?
I have what I consider the origin of Catholicism:

Go, therefore, make disciples of all nations; baptise them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, (St. Matthew 28:19)

…even after the very beginning of their Ministry the Eleven continued to work under the presumption of ‘Israel alone’ (Acts 10:27-28, 34-48); Jesus’ Commandment above is part of that which they could not yet bear/understand (St. John 16:12-15), but the other Paraclete would eventually catch them up!

Maran atha!

Angel
 
In the modern world, there is one thing which sets Catholicism apart from all other Christian denominations, and that is devotion to Mary and our understanding of the integral part she plays in God’s plan for our salvation as the co-redeemer. If I had to pick one verse (actually two) that was “All Catholic”, it would have to be…

Then God’s temple in heaven was opened, and the ark of his covenant could be seen in the temple. There were flashes of lightning, rumblings, and peals of thunder, an earthquake, and a violent hailstorm. A great sign appeared in the sky, a woman clothed with the sun, with the moon under her feet, and on her head a crown of twelve stars. (Revelation 11:19-12:1)

Remember that Chapter and verse divisions were added to the Bible in the middle ages and so these two verses would have been part of one long narrative. The passage is all but inexplicable outside of Catholic exegesis. To Catholics however, it is part and parcel of the Old Testament’s forshadowing of Mary in the Ark of the Covenant and its New Testament fulfillment, as well as the source of the Dogma wherin Mary is Queen of Heaven. Truly “All Catholic.”

To those who claim that the Book of Revelation only speaks about future events or end times, I simply reply that you had better get ready.

-Tim-
 
If you had to pick one verse that was all Catholic, what would it be?
You have all picked good ones.

Matthew 26:26 Now as they were eating, Jesus took bread, and when he had said the blessing he broke it and gave it to the disciples. ‘Take it and eat,’ he said, ‘this is my body.’
 
1 Corinthians 1:23

“…but we proclaim Christ crucified…”

Revelation 19:9

“Blessed are those who are invited to the Marriage Supper of the Lamb.”

John 6:48-58

“I am the bread of life. Your ancestors ate the manna in the desert, but they died; this is the bread that comes down from heaven so that one may eat it and not die. I am the living bread that came down from heaven; whoever eats this bread will live forever; and the bread that I will give is my flesh for the life of the world.”

Jesus said to them,

“Amen, amen, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you do not have life within you. Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him on the last day. For my flesh is true food, and my blood is true drink. Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood remains in me and I in him. Just as the living Father sent me and I have life because of the Father, so also the one who feeds on me will have life because of me. This is the bread that came down from heaven. Unlike your ancestors who ate and still died, whoever eats this bread will live forever.”
 
Luke 1:28&42
Hail, full of grace, the Lord is with thee: blessed art thou among women.
Blessed art thou among women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb.
 
Matthew 5:17-19 - “Do not think that I have come to abolish the law or the prophets. I have come not to abolish but to fulfill. Amen, I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not the smallest letter or the smallest part of a letter will pass from the law, until all things have taken place. Therefore, whoever breaks one of the least of these commandments and teaches others to do so will be called least in the kingdom of heaven. But whoever obeys and teaches these commandments will be called greatest in the kingdom of heaven.”

I know it’s more than one verse but oh well!
😃
 
John 6:54-56

54 Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day. 55 For my flesh is real food and my blood is real drink. 56 Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood remains in me, and I in them.

I know, that’s 3 verses. If I had to narrow down to one, it would be “55… For my flesh is real food and my blood is real drink”.

Who else but we Catholics take this literally???
 
I’m torn between there two:

Mark 9:23 And immediately the father of the boy crying out, with tears said: I do believe, Lord: help my unbelief.

luke 18:13 And the publican, standing afar off, would not so much as lift up his eyes towards heaven; but struck his breast, saying: O God, be merciful to me a sinner.
 
How about the whole Bible
I was going to say Gen. 1:1–Rev. 22:21. 😃

But one I was reminded of today if only ONE verse is allowed is Hebrews 12:10 God disciplines us for our good, in order that we may share in his holiness. It embodies the need for sanctification for those who are already God’s “children” (v. 7) and opens the door for the Catholic idea of justification/sanctification as a singular concept, and also establishes the need for purgation.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top