Movie ratings for kids

• Thread starter Thread starter ravenkc
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

ravenkc

What do movie ratings mean today? Is a PG movie appropriate for a 5 year old? I have noticed that many Disney movies for kids (such as Shrek) are PG. Are any movies rated G any more?

It is difficult today to find good movies to go to with any age of children. There are some good websites that give movie reviews, and I always check them before allowing my children to see any movie. The sexual innuendos alone, even in PG movies, are disturbing to me.

My daughter, who is a very mature 14, wants to see Troy. This movie, rated PG-13, apparently has quite a bit of nudity in it. Why do they always have to ruin potentially good movies with a couple of unnecessary scenes?! :mad:

Here are a couple to try if you’re interested:

decentfilms.com/ (Catholic)

screenit.com/

gradingthemovies.com/

You have to be cautious with even some of the G movies…violence and language in some G movies is very surprising sometimes. Bets to review on a site as the previous person mentioned…and you kids will not be left out if they don’t see all the latest and greatest films…there is plenty of other educational and spiritual programs from EWTN and other places to keep them entertained.

40.png
ravenkc:
What do movie ratings mean today? Is a PG movie appropriate for a 5 year old? I have noticed that many Disney movies for kids (such as Shrek) are PG. Are any movies rated G any more?
Do not rely on movie ratings. Go to a good reliable Christian website and find out what is in the movie and make your decision on whether it’s appropriate for your child. Personally I like decentfilms.com and USCCB web site for this. 👍

There is a DVD player for sale that will automatically edit movies you view based on criteria such as nudity, violence and profanity. You can set it to different “strengths” for different ages levels or tastes. The way it works is you download a filter onto your computer, burn it to a CD, and then load the CD into the DVD player to install it. I don’t have one yet, but I am planning on getting one later this year. You can get more info at the website:

clearplay.com/

I saw the DVD player on sale at Walmart a couple weeks ago for $69.

40.png
Regenhund:
There is a DVD player for sale that will automatically edit movies you view based on criteria such as nudity, violence and profanity. You can set it to different “strengths” for different ages levels or tastes. The way it works is you download a filter onto your computer, burn it to a CD, and then load the CD into the DVD player to install it. I don’t have one yet, but I am planning on getting one later this year. You can get more info at the website:

QUOTE]

I’ve read that Hollywood is trying to get these things banned. :mad: Is it really that offensive to them that we want to filter out some of the garbage that they put into otherwise good movies?

Use the USCCB Reviews. They will tell you everything. Whether there are anti-Christian or anti-Catholic themes, whether the moral message is something that you would want your 5 year old to hear, whether there are disturbing images, nudity, violence, drug scenes, lying, whatever. Honestly it’s the best way to get the actual content of a movie. And they do videos too. Plus they actually review the movie itself so you know if it’s any good on top of all of that, and what age group it’s aimed at versus what age group it’s appropriate for and why.

Thanks everybody.

I checked out the bishop’s site. The movie in question was deemed acceptable for adolecents and adults. Probably not the best choice for a 5 year old.

I agree that kids are not missing much by missing today’s movies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back