MOVIES: Alfie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mary_Gail_36

New member
Saturday night, I caught an old movie called “Alfie” with Michael Caine.

I thought it was sad and pretty controversial and disturbing for the time period.

Any one else see it and care to comment on it?
 
I remember seeing it as a teen and felt it was disturbing as I had never had exposure or felt acceptance in my family to this type of behavior. For many of my peers, it was just progressive society.

Others at the time seem to see it as an “intellectual” movie and debated the meaning of it. This was the period of “intellectual” debate on the core meaning of films.
 
Saturday night, I caught an old movie called “Alfie” with Michael Caine.

I thought it was sad and pretty controversial and disturbing for the time period.

Any one else see it and care to comment on it?
I’ve seen parts of it. It seems to me as if it could almost be an evangelistic tool!

And what do you mean about “for the time period”? I think that the kind of behavior described was more common then that now, if anything. At least it was more condoned. Today people are expected to have “committed relationships,” although typically they have one of them after another in the space of a few years!

Edwin
 
I’ve seen parts of it. It seems to me as if it could almost be an evangelistic tool!

And what do you mean about “for the time period”? I think that the kind of behavior described was more common then that now, if anything. At least it was more condoned. Today people are expected to have “committed relationships,” although typically they have one of them after another in the space of a few years!

Edwin
Oh, I mean for 1963, films were generally not as provocative as this. I realize that these thing were going on, just film-making was a bit more innocent back then. The rating system hadn’t come out yet at that point.🙂
 
Oh, I mean for 1963, films were generally not as provocative as this. I realize that these thing were going on, just film-making was a bit more innocent back then. The rating system hadn’t come out yet at that point.🙂
It was a British movie, wasn’t it?

I am not too clear on just when movies in the U.S. started getting gritty and more sexually explicit–I thought it would have started by 1963, but maybe it was a few years later. But it may have started a little earlier in Britain. I’m not sure.

Edwin
 
It was a British movie, wasn’t it?

I am not too clear on just when movies in the U.S. started getting gritty and more sexually explicit–I thought it would have started by 1963, but maybe it was a few years later. But it may have started a little earlier in Britain. I’m not sure.

Edwin
Well, let’s see…Midnight Cowboy came out in 1969 and was significantly more explicit than Alfie…most of the scenes in Alfie were implied as opposed to explicit.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top