MOVIES: Batman - Dark Knight

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just delivered my 16 year old and a friend to the theatre to see The Dark Knight.
I can’t wait to get the report back from them! 😃
 
One can’t even sympathize with the Joker for his past since he changes his story every time he explains how he got his scars. He probably did it to himself. Ya, he is pure evil.
 
Let’s try to keep the plot revealing or climax spoilers from the thread please, at least until the film hits the discount theaters or DVD.

Thank you.
I’m sorry, didn’t I label that as a spoiler and put the space there? I’m pretty sure I did… not sure why it needed to be edited further.
 
Hmm I can’t help but think that Joker is the personification of evil…irrational and nihilistic… someone who just wants “the world to burn”

Kudos to the late Heath Ledger for his superb portrayal of the Joker. As someone said in this thread…“Heath Ledger definitely nailed it” .👍
Now, now. Even Our Lord said He wished the world was a’blazin!😉 But, maybe He was talking about something else entirely…
 
I would give this movie 7/10. I know a lot of people are falling over themselves for it, but I would simply say it is worth the watch, but not going to break into any of my “Top” lists.

There is a ton of action, and the middle bulk of the movie is the best part featuring a lot of intensity and up-against-the-clock action. It did go pretty long, and I thought it should have ended on a better note than it did, but you can’t have everything.

Heath Ledger did a great job as the Joker, and it’s a shame he won’t be around to play the role again…better that than his “cowboy” role… Forums Extreme
But he’ll be forever immortalized as the Joker, by my prediction.

This movie was rated PG-13, but there were enough violent scenes that I think were only short of an R rating due only to the lack of “gore” effects.

It is the best of the Batman movies since the one in 1989…which isn’t saying much in my opinion 😃 …so if you like action and crime, this is a good one for you. But I’d be wary of little kids seeing it if you don’t want them to see violence.
 
Too bad Heath Ledger won’t be able to reprise his role here if ever someone decides to make a movie out of “A Death In The Family” (where the Joker kills the second Robin, Jason Todd)–would be great to have a movie about that, as well as have one where D. Grayson leaves Bruce to become Nightwing. Of course, I am still waiting for that Batman movie where Bane breaks Bruce and Jean Paul Valley takes over as Batman (personally I see him as a more effective Batman than Bruce ever was; too bad at that time many fans didn’t like the idea of Bruce Wayne being replaced. Maybe fans would hopefully be more receptive to that idea now). Hehe–forgive me–these are just some of my wishlist for coming Batman movies. 😃
 
Loved the movie. I enjoy Bale as Bruce Wayne. Loved Heath also. Actually missed Katie Holmes.
 
Loved the movie. I enjoy Bale as Bruce Wayne. Loved Heath also. Actually missed Katie Holmes.
Ok - now am I the only one who just hated Maggie Gyllenhaal in the role of Rachel Dawes? I thought she looked old, not nearly elegant enough for Bruce Wayne, and just a totally flat performance? Of all the beautiful brunette Hollywood women out there, this was the best they could do?

That was the only disappointment of the movie for me - that casting choice was even distracting to me I thought it was so off base.

~Liza
 
Ok - now am I the only one who just hated Maggie Gyllenhaal in the role of Rachel Dawes? I thought she looked old, not nearly elegant enough for Bruce Wayne, and just a totally flat performance? Of all the beautiful brunette Hollywood women out there, this was the best they could do?

That was the only disappointment of the movie for me - that casting choice was even distracting to me I thought it was so off base.

~Liza
I thought just the opposite! 😃 Sometimes a super glam woman makes it feel more like you are watching a Hollywood actress instead of a woman in Gotham City. True… Bruce Wayne is a bazillionaire, but he is supposedly less superficial anyway.
 
Ok - now am I the only one who just hated Maggie Gyllenhaal in the role of Rachel Dawes?
The casting could have been better, sure, but a cardboard cut-out in an evening gown would still have been an improvement over Katie Holmes. She is very nearly unbearable to watch in any role she’s ever undertaken.

– Mark L. Chance.
 
I loved it. It was the best Batman since the original. I like Batman, Dark Night and Batman Returns. The worst was George Clooney’s version. Even he admits it.
Clooney made that admission prior to the current film. Batman and Robin is now the second worst Batman film.
 
Ok - now am I the only one who just hated Maggie Gyllenhaal in the role of Rachel Dawes? I thought she looked old, not nearly elegant enough for Bruce Wayne, and just a totally flat performance? Of all the beautiful brunette Hollywood women out there, this was the best they could do?

That was the only disappointment of the movie for me - that casting choice was even distracting to me I thought it was so off base.

~Liza
I really liked Maggie Gyllenhaal for this role. I felt Katie Holms was the weak link in the last movie. Yeah she’s pretty, but her acting was very bland (I cringe everytime I see the part where Batman “startles” her in the subway, her scream is very fake).
Maggie Gylenhaal is a really good actress, and has more emotional depth.
I’m glad they didn’t pick some beautiful hollywood bombshell for the role, that would have been just like hollywood. You see Bruce Wayne dating these beautiful models in the movie, but it’s nice to see that he’s truely in love with someone that has a heart and a brain.
 
Awesome film. I’ve seen it twice, and I would love to see it again.

🙂 🙂 🙂
 
Best Superhero film ever made. At least in my opinion. Chris Nolan has set the bar high and I think all other films in this genre will be measured against The Dark Knight. It is the most realistic superhero film I have ever seen.
 
Best Superhero film ever made. At least in my opinion. Chris Nolan has set the bar high and I think all other films in this genre will be measured against The Dark Knight. It is the most realistic superhero film I have ever seen.
Agreed.

Which is why I’m debating seeing it again. It’s just too scary, because it’s just too good.

Batman is better than what I thought he’d be. The Joker is as villainous as everyone said he’d be. The rest of the cast was just as stellar as the first two. Wow.

~~ the phoenix
 
I really have a problem with the way Batman behaves in this movie, and how the movie ended.

To begin with, the Batman character has always been a detective. Yeah, he does all the fighting and sweet moves and has the gadgets. But he started out as, and his main thing was, being a detective. Not so much of this here when he was facing the Joker in this movie. I felt as though they let him get out of control and that he sold out his character in pursuit of the Joker.

And that would have been fine, if they had played that more. I really thought that they had a thread there where they could have pursued how the Joker was turning the tables on Batman and putting him off kilter, changing his game, and getting the better of him. But they let that go instead of pursuing it.

I thought the Joker was masterful. They did a good job of him crossing the lines, not playing by rules, and simply creating chaos. But then it’s always easier to make a good bad guy than it is to make a good good guy to foil him.

I just felt that Batman needed to stand up and be the man of principle. I felt that the movie shifted too much of that onto Dent, and it wasn’t genuine. Bruce was trying so hard to pass his Batman character off onto Dent, make him the shining knight. I don’t think Batman would do that. Batman has always been very concerned with justice, and vengence for his parents death. So often they lead him astray in the movies.

And I really didn’t like the ending. I thought it was horrible. Yes, Batman has always been hunted in the comics. But the ending just didn’t feel right.
 
This is one of those movies you have to watch twice to REALLY appreciate it.

Unfortunately I went with my dad…He said it was one of the top ten WORST movies of all time…
I don’t know why he thinks that, but he said it was boring…of all things.

The experience was greatly damaged because of his attitude…I"m seeing it with my friends next time.
 
Thomasf I disagree with you on this. The whole plot and even the ending come right out of the comic books. I have been a Batman fan as long as I can remember. He has one rule that he will not break and that is to kill someone.

I felt he showed that in order to deal with someone as evil as the Joker we have to do things that others may not agree with. It is a great reflection of our world today.

We have terrorists who have no rule, that will do anything to win. We are fighting them with rules. I have many friends who are Marines and in other branches of the military who say that the war against terrorism is the hardest battle to fight, because we have things we will not do, and they will do them.

I thought he was a very principled Batman. He knew that he had things he had to do in order to stop this one man, Things that he wouldn’t do any other time.
 
Best Superhero film ever made. At least in my opinion. Chris Nolan has set the bar high and I think all other films in this genre will be measured against The Dark Knight. It is the most realistic superhero film I have ever seen.
I’ll have to differ…but I will say it’s the best DC superhero ever made. Better superhero movies, in my opinion are:

Spider-Man
X-Men
X2
The Incredible Hulk

And I don’t know if you can count The Matrix as a “superhero” movie, or not (if being a comic superhero is the criteria)…but that would be better too…

You can see my review of Batman above. 😃 I still liked it.
 
This movie was amazing. As has been said many times, Heath Ledger stole the show. Better than Johnny Depp as Jack Sparrow, IMO.

The message of the movie (ie the whole idea that sometimes the truth must be sacrificed for a greater good) was thought provoking if not an entirely Christian idea… the audience sees a spirit of self-sacrifice and nobility which I think makes it far less morally ambiguous than some might think it to be.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top