MOVIES: Hairspray

  • Thread starter Thread starter scapularkid8
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
ahh I see! Thanks! I haven’t seen the broadway show yet, but I’m dying too…and Rent. 🙂
 
My husband’s synchronized skating team skated to music from Hairspray a few seasons ago, so he went to see the show (a Broadway tour that came through our city) out of obligation.

He ended up loving it and plans to go back again this season.

There is a wonderful anti-racism message in the show that is not didactic or in-your-face or whining. It’s just good.

Definitely recommended for the whole family. High energy with a great message. What’s not to love?

Have you ever heard of the Broadway tradition of having Captain Hook in Peter Pan played by the same actor who plays the father of the children? Somehow this got started and the tradition continues.

And in the play, Edith Stein, in the production that my daughter’s college did (Calvin College!), the woman who plays Edith’s Jewish mother also played the Mother Superior at the Carmelite Convent. The author of the play (Arthur Giron) attended their show, and said that he really REALLY liked this and hoped that the tradition would continue.
 
I haven’t seen the new Hairspray, although I did see stills of Travolta in the fatdragsuit (hi-larious!), but the original is well worth watching and (unlike most of the rest of Waters’ ouvre) won’t get you guys up in arms 😉
I enjoyed the new and the old Hairspray; I enjoyed the old one juuuuust a little bit more! 😉
 
I appreciate the info on the history of this movie…I wondered why exactly John Travolta was picked to play Edna, but now that I see this is something that was in the original, a man playing that part, it makes perfect sense! I love love love the welcome to the 60’s song…my dd and I looked up the words on youtube today and we both took turns singing the parts of the mom and tracy.😊 😃
 
My husband’s synchronized skating team skated to music from Hairspray a few seasons ago, so he went to see the show (a Broadway tour that came through our city) out of obligation.

He ended up loving it and plans to go back again this season.

There is a wonderful anti-racism message in the show that is not didactic or in-your-face or whining. It’s just good.

Definitely recommended for the whole family. High energy with a great message. What’s not to love?

Have you ever heard of the Broadway tradition of having Captain Hook in Peter Pan played by the same actor who plays the father of the children? Somehow this got started and the tradition continues.

And in the play, Edith Stein, in the production that my daughter’s college did (Calvin College!), the woman who plays Edith’s Jewish mother also played the Mother Superior at the Carmelite Convent. The author of the play (Arthur Giron) attended their show, and said that he really REALLY liked this and hoped that the tradition would continue.
I saw Peter Pan on Broadway when I was around 14…it was sensational. I miss going to see plays like that…maybe that’s why I liked this play/movie so much. I didn’t know that though, Cat, thanks for sharing.
 
hairspray movie was awesome. my daughters are involved in voice lessons, church choir, participated in choral festivals and participate in community theatre as well as school operettas. there is always music in my home and we love musicals. saw wicked on broadway two weeks ago and loved it. when we were there we walked past the theatre that was presenting hairspray. the sigh outside the theatre was awesome.
BTW, rent is going to be finished sometime in sept. it was already granted an extended stay. if you plan on seeing it, get your tickets soon, if they aren’t sold out.

kate
 
I loved Hairspray. I think it was well done and I think Nikki Blonsky was a great Tracy. I didn’t like how they cut “Mama I’m a Big Girl Now” though.

As for Rent, I can’t say I’m a fan. Some of songs are grating and I don’t know, just not my thing I guess. 525,600 minutes is pretty but Out Tonight and Take Me or Leave Me make me cringe.

I want to see Jersey Boys on Broadway and umm… Legally Blonde. 😊
 
I loved Hairspray. I think it was well done and I think Nikki Blonsky was a great Tracy. I didn’t like how they cut “Mama I’m a Big Girl Now” though.

As for Rent, I can’t say I’m a fan. Some of songs are grating and I don’t know, just not my thing I guess. 525,600 minutes is pretty but Out Tonight and Take Me or Leave Me make me cringe.

I want to see Jersey Boys on Broadway and umm… Legally Blonde. 😊
Rent is tough. It has a sad theme and therefore, will not appeal to people who just want to have fun.
 
i cant’ say that I cared for the movie RENT either. I did like the songs from the movie, though. I don’t really care to see it on broadway either. If i somehow ended up going, I probably wouldn’t care for the theatrics, but I know I would enjoy the music.

kate
 
no I have a personal hangup or aversion to men crossdressing for entertainment and find myself unable to enjoy such productions. Travolta is not my least favorite actor, the action hero types fill that bill, but he is close
 
Rent is tough. It has a sad theme and therefore, will not appeal to people who just want to have fun.
Heck, even the song “La Vie Boheme” wouldn’t appeal to a whole lot of people.
 
Did you see this movie? What did you think? We LOVED it. I didn’t think I’d like it, John Travolta being dressed up like a woman sounded so bizarre to me–but wow!!! My dd and I watch it every time it comes on HBO, and even have ordered it a few times in the same week. I love the dancing and singing…and the innocence of it all. Just a great great movie!!!👍 👍

What did you think??
I have to admit that I liked it too! And I was surprised- I really thought that I would detest it.
 
I have a friend from Spain who saw this w/ us in theaters when she was here and she now says that it’s one of her favorite movies of all time. Go figure. :confused: 😃
 
love it! I say love, because I watch it often.😊 It is so uplifting…I love the dance numbers…just an all around great movie.

🙂
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top