MOVIES: The Exorcist

  • Thread starter Thread starter child_of_God85
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw the movie long ago,then I became interested on the book.I wanted to see how they were one from another,but I liked them both very much.Just to think of a posession is scary,I think that’s the reason why this movie/novel scares many people.But the most frightening fact is that is based on a real life case.:bigyikes:
 
i’ve read just about every book i’ve seen concerning exorcisms, and i’m starting to think as i get older that when the devil covertly attacks in moments of human weakness, with a false comfort and evil intention, not leaving a footprint or anything other than what seems like a reasonable temptation that causes us to sin as separate ourselves from God may in fact be far scarier and more effective a tool for him than a possession. Thats why the possessions are few and the obsessions are numerous.

/just a non sequitor
 
40.png
thechrismyster:
i’ve read just about every book i’ve seen concerning exorcisms, and i’m starting to think as i get older that when the devil covertly attacks in moments of human weakness, with a false comfort and evil intention, not leaving a footprint or anything other than what seems like a reasonable temptation that causes us to sin as separate ourselves from God may in fact be far scarier and more effective a tool for him than a possession. Thats why the possessions are few and the obsessions are numerous.

/just a non sequitor
BINGO!
 
Having been a witness to a possession, I can honestly say that , on the whole, an exorcism is very ‘very boring’!!! Only because the word of the devil is very boring and with no life. Very redundant. The word of God is ALIVE and so invigarating…it gives life!

What I see today in a great many people who are so enmeshed in New Age, in a moral decadence beyond imagination, the holocaust of aborted fetuses, and they do not care! They laugh in your face…it may seem subtle for some but to me it is very blatant. The EDvil One is laughing!!! When the Pope is even brought up, it is usually in a negative mode.

I would suggest everyone to read Fr Groeschel’s book ‘From Scandal to Hope’…we need reform! We need to wash away any evil that is occurring in our lives. One of the bishops in my province wants to exorciser his priests!

This is what is scary…a possession, although a very intense experience, doesn’t hold a candle to the evil that I see going on within our own Church…In the exorcism, I did experience many, many bruises and blood…but now, the bruising is being had in my own heart… when one’s own flesh laughs at you for praying to Jesus in the Blessed Sacrament! :crying:
 
At the end of the movie " The Exorcist " fr. Karras tells the demon to come into him, and the demon happily obliges, then the priest kills himself, by throwing himself out the window and down the stairs… Interesting. I don’t think that is in the ritual romanum…Is it in the new rules for exorcism? 😉
 
I have a feeling that was added for dramatic effect for the movie as I’m sure the actual ritual doesn’t say the priest should kill himself. Having watched part of the movie recently, I think the character of Father Karras, was a bit tormented himself, not by possession though but personal demons so to speak.

As I believe the real case that the movie was based upon, the priests lived at the end. In fact, I saw one of them interviewed recently on a special about demon possession. At the time he was a young man studying for the priesthood and was taken along with the Jesuit priest who did the actual exorcism of the little boy, who apparently remembers nothing.

The priest said he truly believed he was witnessing a demon possession.
 
I have a feeling that was added for dramatic effect for the movie as I’m sure the actual ritual doesn’t say the priest should kill himself. Having watched part of the movie recently, I think the character of Father Karras, was a bit tormented himself, not by possession though but personal demons so to speak.

As I believe the real case that the movie was based upon, the priests lived at the end. In fact, I saw one of them interviewed recently on a special about demon possession. At the time he was a young man studying for the priesthood and was taken along with the Jesuit priest who did the actual exorcism of the little boy, who apparently remembers nothing.

The priest said he truly believed he was witnessing a demon possession.
There is a book about the real event that the movie was based on. I think it’s called Possessed, but can’t be sure. I read it a few years ago, it’s a very good book.
If you want to watch a good movie about demon possession watch the Exorcism of Emily Rose.
 
There is a book about the real event that the movie was based on. I think it’s called Possessed, but can’t be sure. I read it a few years ago, it’s a very good book.
If you want to watch a good movie about demon possession watch the Exorcism of Emily Rose.
Big Emily fan here, very realistic, not too hollywood, and the reason we find that Emily allows herself to stay possessed is a very powerful statement. Very Catholic in my view…
 
Big Emily fan here, very realistic, not too hollywood, and the reason we find that Emily allows herself to stay possessed is a very powerful statement. Very Catholic in my view…
I know, I was very pleased with how catholic it was. It was in my opinion alot scarier than The Exorcist.
 
I know, I was very pleased with how catholic it was. It was in my opinion alot scarier than The Exorcist.
Emily was a good movie, but I believe that The Exorcist was the scariest movie of all time (besides being my favority). I have trouble falling asleep because unlike most other denominations, we catholics know that evil and satan are real. It really gets me thinking…

As far as Fr. Karras dying in the movie, I’ve always been confused about the state of his soul. He willingly invites the demon in, but it seems to have left when he jumped out of the window. Would his confession reconcile him with God in this case?
 
As far as Fr. Karras dying in the movie, I’ve always been confused about the state of his soul. He willingly invites the demon in, but it seems to have left when he jumped out of the window. Would his confession reconcile him with God in this case?
I think the movie implies that he was reconciled with God by successfully getting rid of the demon. However, the movie was intended more as a movie of the horror genre, not one to teach Catholic theology. The producer even made them leave out a line which seemed too Catholic in its implications.

Finally, the character of Father Karras would never in real life be approved by any bishop to assist with an exorcism.
 
Hey is this movie still being discussed? I found this thread…

Thought I’d tack this on here:

’The Exorcist’ Debunked (PDF)

I was researching this lately and found a series published in "Strange" magazine from Dec 1998 (Issue 20). The full title was “The Haunted Boy from Cottage City: The Cold Hard Facts Behind the Story that Inspired ‘The Exorcist’.” A thorough investigation shows the child the movie was based on (a 13 year old boy in early 1949) was most likely very psychologically disturbed, simply violent and a “trickster”, and not possessed. The bed had rollers, the aimed projectile “spitting” (there was no vomiting) between the teeth was a technique perfected apparently by adolescents of the time, the very religious mother/grandmother probably insisted on the exorcism, the story and events were embellished and exaggerated over the years, etc.

People didn’t even have the right city (hidden to protect the family’s identity) until the journalist for “Strange” magazine uncovered the exact location and house. He tracks down and interviews people who knew the family, friends from the neighborhood, a priest who was eyewitness to the exorcism, and a very brief conversation with the “possessed” victim himself (none or few of these were ever done in detail before).

I always thought based on the video (Ignatius Press used to sell it) “In the Grip of Evil” (based on the book Possessed) that the story was more factual than it was.

I still think the movie is the scariest of all time, but here are the facts behind it.

Phil P
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top