Movies with sexual content, violence, etc

  • Thread starter Thread starter scc11
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

scc11

Guest
I was wondering what the church’s stance on movies with sexual content is? For example a common movie known to many is Titanic. It has sexual content. Is it OK to watch this movie and others like it or not?
Also, what about Boondock Saints? In this movie the MacManus brothers are killing in the name of God. They kill murders, mafia members, etc.
If said movies are not appropriate I would like to clean out my DVD collection.
 
If it is something that could cause the near occcasion of sin, I would avoid it.

I rented Titanic just to see WHY it was so popular… but I fast forwarded (rented the vhs at the time) and covered my eyes during the obvious worst of the scenes (the nude scene and the implied obvious sex scene) but the profanity was even worse…If they removed all the bad stuff,. you’d have Rose coming onto the ship and then the iceberg hitting it…probably a 40 minute film.

I read the movie reviews from a trusted source, such as when the Bishops web site had movie reviews (I think its catholic news agency that does them now).

Then there are movies like The Passion and For Greater Glory that have violence because of the obvious topic or event (Christ’s Passion and The Cristero War).
 
The nude scene didn’t seem to be to be problematic; at that point it was an artist-subject sort of thing.

The scene in the car was, methinks, gratuitious.

Gratuitous sex scenes are just that; sensationalizing sex for the purpose of titilation.

Does it serve the story? Nope.

The best example I use is in the movie “The Sting”. Robert Redford’s charactor spends the night with the assassin (can’t remember her name). You see him go in her room (or was it vice versa), and the director assumed that the audience was intelligent enough to fill in the blanks and figure out that they slept together.

That they spent the night together was integral to the story, but the details of their encounter were off screen.
 
I think we have to recognize that what we watch is what we become. Even if we know that certain activities are wrong, when we are bombarded with immoral content day after day we start to become de-sensitized to the wrongness of the acts which gives Satan a huge opening to guide us gradually into sin. For example, if I watch a movie that contains any cursing or blasphemy, I will find that the words quickly lose their repulsive qualities and more frequently pop into my mind as possible ways of expressing myself to others (I could certainly see how if I watched enough of these types of movies, I could fall into sin by cursing).

In my judgment, watching a movie with nudity is absolutely out of the question for a Catholic. If you could find a version of the Titanic that censored the nudity, I still don’t think it is a good movie selection since the whole plot is centered around an extremely immoral romance between the two main characters.

That said, I know your struggles. For a long time, I lived a very immoral life and enjoyed movies that had content that was so bad that I try not to even think about it anymore. It’s certainly tough to let go of these sorts of things, but I guarantee that you won’t be losing anything by giving it up (you’ll actually be a much happier and joy-filled person!)
 
If it’s not taking you closer to God, then it’s a waste of time.

Which, by the way, means I’m wasting a lot of time. :o
 
Here are a couple of links that might help:

usccb.org/movies/

americancatholic.org/Movies/

I worked in a theatre while in school, and I learned that a ticket to a movie is a vote for more of the same. Most people don’t realize it. It would only make sense that they would make more of what sells. I would imagine that tapes and DVD sales are the same. If a movie is objectionable to you, should you donate it to the library where it will be available to tempt others? I would think not. If it were me, I’d destroy it.

If you have not yet seen The Boondock Saints, by all means avoid it. Here is my review:

This is another one of those movies that was not released - it escaped! There is no plot. I suffered through one hour of it waiting for something to get started. It never did. It took that long for what passes as a plot for the protagonists (I guess) to knock off a couple of Russian Mafia thugs and for the FBI detective to round them up. The rest of the time (as close as I can figure because of all the unintelligible shouting) is spent off on tangents.

“I f***'n killed your f***'n cat, and if you f***'n can f***'n tell me the f***'n name of your f***'n cat, I’m f***'n going to f***'n take this f***'n gun and f***'n blow my f***'n brains f***'n out!” is an example of the brilliant dialog.

The most insufferable character of all is the bartender with a stutter: “Fffffffff***'n - fffffff***!” is about all he can manage to struggle out.

Whoever got paid to write such trash was grossly overpaid. Don’t watch it even if it’s f***'n free.
 
I think we have to recognize that what we watch is what we become. Even if we know that certain activities are wrong, when we are bombarded with immoral content day after day we start to become de-sensitized to the wrongness of the acts which gives Satan a huge opening to guide us gradually into sin. For example, if I watch a movie that contains any cursing or blasphemy, I will find that the words quickly lose their repulsive qualities and more frequently pop into my mind as possible ways of expressing myself to others (I could certainly see how if I watched enough of these types of movies, I could fall into sin by cursing).

In my judgment, watching a movie with nudity is absolutely out of the question for a Catholic. If you could find a version of the Titanic that censored the nudity, I still don’t think it is a good movie selection since the whole plot is centered around an extremely immoral romance between the two main characters.

That said, I know your struggles. For a long time, I lived a very immoral life and enjoyed movies that had content that was so bad that I try not to even think about it anymore. It’s certainly tough to let go of these sorts of things, but I guarantee that you won’t be losing anything by giving it up (you’ll actually be a much happier and joy-filled person!)
I agree. As a writer, and one who has helped mentor a young screenwriter, none of the gratuitous nudity and obvious (even though not graphic) sex scenes are also gratuitous. They are there for one reason only: to get male viewers to think sexual thoughts about the actress.

It’s difficult. For those who have been around a while, or who watch older films, there was love and romance and tenderness. That changed so gradually over the last 40 years that I finally said to myself when I decided that a line had been crossed and that “art” was no longer a valid excuse: “That’s it. I’m sick and tired of closing my eyes and all the profanity.”

Terminator 2 was a brilliant film, but the profanity. Wow.

The original three Star Wars movies. They managed all the action and adventure you could want with some romance and no profanity. Then, in 1979, we’ve got some woman running around a spaceship while using profanity.

Peace,
Ed
 
I was wondering what the church’s stance on movies with sexual content is? For example a common movie known to many is Titanic. It has sexual content. Is it OK to watch this movie and others like it or not?
It’s not objectively wrong, but if it’s a near occasion of sin, you should avoid it.
Also, what about Boondock Saints? In this movie the MacManus brothers are killing in the name of God. They kill murders, mafia members, etc.
If said movies are not appropriate I would like to clean out my DVD collection.
Same goes for Boondock Saints. While the inherent thematic approval of vigilante “justice” is morally problematic, whether or not it is immoral to just watch depends on whether or not it would constitute a temptation.

I probably should avoid movies like that more than I do. It’s very easy, when I see injustice portrayed, to whip myself up into wrath.

But objectively speaking, it’s not wrong to watch them. Just put God and prayer first, and avoid anything that leads you away from Him.
I think we have to recognize that what we watch is what we become.
That’s not true across the board, so generalizations aren’t really useful here. For instance, if I see a movie in which murder is committed, that doesn’t make me more likely to murder.

Whether watching a story that contains, say, fornication, is more likely to make someone predisposed toward that sin, is something that can easily vary from person to person.
For example, if I watch a movie that contains any cursing or blasphemy, I will find that the words quickly lose their repulsive qualities and more frequently pop into my mind as possible ways of expressing myself to others (I could certainly see how if I watched enough of these types of movies, I could fall into sin by cursing).
See, that’s not true of me, though, so to generalize on the matter is not valid. I watch movies with blasphemy in them, and - sinful as I definitely am - taking the Lord’s name in vain is something I’m never tempted to.
In my judgment, watching a movie with nudity is absolutely out of the question for a Catholic.
Bad call. That’s puritanical nonsense. Nudity in itself is not wrong to portray; in fact, it needn’t even be sexual.

I recall when I watched 28 Days Later (I think that was the one), the main character wakes up out of a coma at the beginning, and he’s completely naked. You see everything, but it’s not sexual at all. Why is that problematic? It’s not. So this “no nudity” principle is not a good one at all.
That said, I know your struggles. For a long time, I lived a very immoral life and enjoyed movies that had content that was so bad that I try not to even think about it anymore. It’s certainly tough to let go of these sorts of things, but I guarantee that you won’t be losing anything by giving it up (you’ll actually be a much happier and joy-filled person!)
Your experience may not be like everyone else’s experience. Like many, you’re too quick to absolutize your own experiences and apply them to others.
 
I didn’t go to see “Titanic”, and was distressed to hear about the young lovers who managed to make it seem “wonderful” to have illicit sex.

Young people can be vulnerable to such suggestions.
 
Why do you think cursing is a sin?
To quote St. John Vianney: "[The man of impure speech] is a person whose lips are but an opening and a supply pipe which hell uses to vomit its impurities upon the earth."

source of quote: chastity.com/research/saint-quotes/purity-speech/purity-speech

Cursing can certainly be a mortal sin when there’s serious malice accompanying the act (and I believe blasphemy is a grave matter accross the board). Cursing in casual situations and without anger may not necessarly be a grave matter, but why on earth would somebody want to take that risk??

I think this is a good article for learning about the specific sinfulness of cursing: acatholiclife.blogspot.ca/2007/02/is-bad-language-sin.html

Please let me know if you have any other questions!
Fone Bone 2001:
See, that’s not true of me, though, so to generalize on the matter is not valid. I watch movies with blasphemy in them, and - sinful as I definitely am - taking the Lord’s name in vain is something I’m never tempted to
To quote St. Josemarie Escriva (the source is also from the above quote website):

"That conversation . . . was as dirty as a sewer! It is not enough for you to take no part in it. You must show your repugnance to it strongly!"

My intention is not to generalize, but the path to heaven is narrow and to reach salvation there is only one person that we can emulate (and that person is Jesus Christ). The Saints are our examples of people who have come close to being like Christ. One who watches television content with cursing and blasphemy has to ask him/herself with complete honesty: could I imagine Christ or any of the Saints watching this? If the answer to that is a “no”, then I think one has a moral duty to stop watching it.

I hope this helps, God bless! 🙂
 
You should definitely avoid watching Titanic!

…I’m not sure if it’s morally problematic or not…but it’s just a **** movie. 😉
 
I know everyone and their cousin seems to love Boondock Saints…I thought it sucked. I either laughed all the way through or snored. Frankly the only thing that would have made me enjoy the film is if it ended with a nuclear bomb being dropped and all the miserable characters just getting vaporized.

I only clapped during the credits scene and that was because the nightmare was over.
 
I agree. As a writer, and one who has helped mentor a young screenwriter, none of the gratuitous nudity and obvious (even though not graphic) sex scenes are also gratuitous. They are there for one reason only: to get male viewers to think sexual thoughts about the actress.

It’s difficult. For those who have been around a while, or who watch older films, there was love and romance and tenderness. That changed so gradually over the last 40 years that I finally said to myself when I decided that a line had been crossed and that “art” was no longer a valid excuse: “That’s it. I’m sick and tired of closing my eyes and all the profanity.”

Terminator 2 was a brilliant film, but the profanity. Wow.

The original three Star Wars movies. They managed all the action and adventure you could want with some romance and no profanity. Then, in 1979, we’ve got some woman running around a spaceship while using profanity.

Peace,
Ed
The original terminator was worse imho.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top