Taking multiple wives in early judeo history is a fact of reality. Can anyone advise me as to when taking multiple wives ended and why? Is there a place in the Bible that forbids this kind of union or unions? Does Jewish law forbid this and if so when and why did this occur in history? Thanks for any help on this matter.
Genesis introduces marriage as a monogamous institution. It points out in Genesis 4 that Lemach took two wives rather than one.
Gen 1: Adam
Gen 2: Cain
Gen 3: Enoch
Gen 4: Irad
Gen 5: Mehujael
Gen 6: Methushael
Gen 7: Lemach
Lemach also mentions that he has murdered someone
Lamech said to his wives,
“Adah and Zillah, listen to me;
wives of Lamech, hear my words.
I have killed a man for wounding me,
a young man for injuring me.
24 If Cain is avenged seven times,
then Lamech seventy-seven times. ”
its a 7 and a 7 and a 7 and a 7 and all I know is that number points to covenant. So its a flag of “hey look at me, I’m significant” but then I don’t know. He’s significant for being the 7th generation and on that sacred 7th, he takes a second wife and he murders a man.
biblegateway.com/topical/Polygamy/Nave/
Wikiapedia suggests that polygamy started fading for economic reasons during the Second Temple period which is a period between 530 BC and 70 AD. So when Christ spoke on marriage, monogamy was the norm.