Music-less Mass in Chicago

  • Thread starter Thread starter 99sm
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
9

99sm

Guest
I have returned to the church after a long absence. I am looking for a Mass with little or no music on or near the north shore area of Chicago. Any suggestions? I appreciate most people’s need for music in the Mass. I am not interested in a debate about music during Mass. I had attended quieter Masses growing up and seek that again. Thank you for the help.
 
Welcome back!

I don’t know anything about the parishes in Chicago, but I do know the general, unspoken “rule” that the first, earliest Mass on Sunday morning (usually 6:30, 7:00 or 7:30) is usually quiet.

No guarantees, but that’s where to start looking. Enjoy!

Betsy
 
+You might check with your diocesan office to see if there are any monasteries . . . perhaps Trappist/Cistercian . . . or Benedictine . . . they profoundly honor “holy silence” as they live by The Holy Rule of St. Benedict . . . perhaps the Holy Mass as practiced by the nuns :nun2: or monks in one of these abbeys, convents :nun1: , priories or monasteries worship of our **Wonderful Lord **during the Holy Prayer of the Mass may be quieter and more what is in harmony with your soul in the **Lord **. . . they can be sweet, quiet, deep and profoundly holy and blest experiences for the soul . . . *if the religious therein are orthodox and obediently faithful to the Magesterium and the Holy Father in their beliefs and practices . . . *

*God :signofcross: bless in your search . . . *

. . . all for Jesus+​
 
I would recommend St.John Cantius. They have both Novus Ordo and Extraordinary Forms. I’m sure that you would probably enjoy the low Mass (EF). Its very quiet and reverent.
 
If you’re into the EF, St. John Cantius (Chicago, Milwaukee, Ogden Aves) has a Low Mass at 7:30am.
 
+I just glanced at the postings below this created post before posting this additional message . . . and discovered I am definitely not alone in my thoughts . . . I don’t know if you are anywhere near the . . . + **St. John Cantius Parish Church ** +. . . but it also occurred to me . . . along with the several others here at CAF . . . that though they are a profoundly holy and musical church . . . their depth of spirituality is very diverse . . . if they are anywhere close to you . . . you might call their office and check as to the quieter of their many daily and Sunday masses . . . their ministries are so thoughtfully varied due to the diversity of their parishioners . . . so parishioners and guests have lots of choices . . . I’m a musician and my soul is very much drawn to . . . and has been so greatly blessed . . . by this parish’s ministries . . . the depth of their holy walk with our Lord is extraordinary . . . the link to their website is below . . .

:compcoff: Link: cantius.org/go

*In dedication to the Triumph of the Immaculate Heart . . . *
. . . all for Jesus+
. . . thank You Sweet Spirit of our Holy God+
:signofcross:
​
 
I have returned to the church after a long absence. I am looking for a Mass with little or no music on or near the north shore area of Chicago. Any suggestions? I appreciate most people’s need for music in the Mass. I am not interested in a debate about music during Mass. I had attended quieter Masses growing up and seek that again. Thank you for the help.
The easiest thing to do would be to call the parishes in that area of Chicago and ask which of their Masses are without music. As someone else said, the early or earliest Masses are often without music. I’ve also heard good things about St. John Cantius but I have no idea how far or convenient it is for you.

I realize you ask for little or no music, but if you would consider Gregorian Chant and are willing to travel farther south there is the Benedictine Monastery of the Holy Cross (chicagomonk.org/) in the middle of Chicago. You can see their schedule here.
 
+You might check with your diocesan office to see if there are any monasteries . . . perhaps Trappist/Cistercian . . . or Benedictine . . . they profoundly honor “holy silence” as they live by The Holy Rule of St. Benedict . . . perhaps the Holy Mass as practiced by the nuns :nun2: or monks in one of these abbeys, convents :nun1: , priories or monasteries worship of our **Wonderful Lord **during the Holy Prayer of the Mass may be quieter and more what is in harmony with your soul in the **Lord **. . . they can be sweet, quiet, deep and profoundly holy and blest experiences for the soul . . . *if the religious therein are orthodox and obediently faithful to the Magesterium and the Holy Father in their beliefs and practices . . . *

*God :signofcross: bless in your search . . . *

. . . all for Jesus+​
I attend a Benedictine monastery for Mass (I’m an oblate there). The conventual Mass is sung every day in Gregorian Chant. I believe that’s probably the usual practice for the conventual Mass among the Benedictines and Trappists or Cistercians, at least on Sunday (though not always Gregorian Chant).

Our abbey does have a Mass without music at 6 am. It’s for the brothers who will be occupied with their tasks and can’t make it to the conventual Mass. A few faithful show up as well.
 
Don’t forget that the “quiet low Mass without music” is actually an ABBREVIATION of the norm of the Mass, which is a Missa Solmenis.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top