R
rick43235
Guest
Although my experience is based on attending mass at only four or five different parishes, I have come to the conclusion that Catholics can’t sing. Growing up in the Lutheran Church, I have memories of hymns being sung loud enough to reach heaven itself. My experience in Catholic churches, however, is that half the people don’t even try, and the ones that do don’t do so with much enthusiasm. So, with that background in mind…
At the parish that I usually attend with my wife, we are between priests at the moment. Mass is celebrated by a visiting priest, often an elderly, retired priest. Anyway, one of these retired priests apparently had an issue with our cantor, a young man who isn’t afraid to turn up the volume when he senses that the congregation is starting to fade away. I remember one time when the cantor was trying to encourage the people to sing, this priest was just staring daggers at him. A few weeks later this priest was back, and I notice that the cantor, in addition to looking really upset, could not be heard at all. He was barely singing. I was wondering if maybe he was ill. During the homily, the priest was talking about correcting sinners in a charitable manner. To give an example he said, “Before mass today I had a discussion with our cantor that involved correcting him on a certain matter.” He then looked over at the cantor and said, “I spoke to you in a charitable manner, didn’t I?” Well, if looks could kill, that priest would have been struck dead on the spot. I actually thought the cantor was going to give him the finger. After mass I was talking to a friend who was a server that day. He told me that the priest really tore into the cantor for singing too loudly, and told him not to do it again.
Anyway, my question is, what’s the big deal? I understand that the mass is not supposed to be about entertaining the troops, but what’s wrong with enjoying the music? As it stands now, the cantor barely sings anymore, and the hymns tend to fade to nothing about halfway through the second verse. Doesn’t make sense to me.
At the parish that I usually attend with my wife, we are between priests at the moment. Mass is celebrated by a visiting priest, often an elderly, retired priest. Anyway, one of these retired priests apparently had an issue with our cantor, a young man who isn’t afraid to turn up the volume when he senses that the congregation is starting to fade away. I remember one time when the cantor was trying to encourage the people to sing, this priest was just staring daggers at him. A few weeks later this priest was back, and I notice that the cantor, in addition to looking really upset, could not be heard at all. He was barely singing. I was wondering if maybe he was ill. During the homily, the priest was talking about correcting sinners in a charitable manner. To give an example he said, “Before mass today I had a discussion with our cantor that involved correcting him on a certain matter.” He then looked over at the cantor and said, “I spoke to you in a charitable manner, didn’t I?” Well, if looks could kill, that priest would have been struck dead on the spot. I actually thought the cantor was going to give him the finger. After mass I was talking to a friend who was a server that day. He told me that the priest really tore into the cantor for singing too loudly, and told him not to do it again.
Anyway, my question is, what’s the big deal? I understand that the mass is not supposed to be about entertaining the troops, but what’s wrong with enjoying the music? As it stands now, the cantor barely sings anymore, and the hymns tend to fade to nothing about halfway through the second verse. Doesn’t make sense to me.