Music with dark lyrics

  • Thread starter Thread starter John_of_Woking
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
John of Woking:
I don’t know how you come to the conclusion that Mick and the boys are Satanists. Pleeeze.

Have you ever heard of their song dedicated to “His Majesty Satan”?

The Stones and The Beatles were absorbed in the stuff…c.f. E Jones’s book published by Ignatius Press “Dionysus Rising”
Actually John of Working ~ You are talking about an album that was made about 40 years ago entitled “his satanic majesties request”.
No doubt this album spawned and inspired generations of kids who bit off the heads bats, and sacraficed the family cat to the devil. And if you take this record and spin it backwards on the phonograph it will reveal to you who the antichrist is! 😃

All kidding aside John. I think most of the “satanic” stuff that rock bands used back in the 60’s was done for the sake of pop art. If you analyze the generation, you will see that theme was quite popular back then. There is still no evidence that Mick and the boys are satanists.
You should be far more concerned if you are a parent of the influence of Britney Spears et al … who are the ones who are really dragging your kids to Hell.

You and I probably have some similar tastes in music. I love choral music of the baroque and classical era. It moves me emotionally and spiritually.
Peace.
 
40.png
ridesawhitehors:
Actually John of Working ~ You are talking about an album that was made about 40 years ago entitled “his satanic majesties request”.
No doubt this album spawned and inspired generations of kids who bit off the heads bats, and sacraficed the family cat to the devil. And if you take this record and spin it backwards on the phonograph it will reveal to you who the antichrist is! 😃

All kidding aside John. I think most of the “satanic” stuff that rock bands used back in the 60’s was done for the sake of pop art. If you analyze the generation, you will see that theme was quite popular back then. There is still no evidence that Mick and the boys are satanists.
You should be far more concerned if you are a parent of the influence of Britney Spears et al … who are the ones who are really dragging your kids to Hell.

You and I probably have some similar tastes in music. I love choral music of the baroque and classical era. It moves me emotionally and spiritually.
Peace.
Let’s not forget Celine, Mariah, Cristina, et al.
 
My story, for what it’s worth.

My opinion? Lyrics with Satanic, violent and sexual imagery are very damaging, whether you recognize it or not at the time. Took a lot of reflection to recognize the damage it did in my life.
 
I used to play in a band with dark, depressing, hateful, nihilistic lyrics and I quit on a count of a Pro-abortion song. When lyrics get that bad I can’t really listen to the song. Otherwise, alot of those songs are just kinda stupid, so I can laugh at it.
I am very much not into “Christian Rock” or anything like that. I appreciate the artists’ efforts but it just seems cheezy and dull. So now I usually just try to listen to music of whence the musicians are talented, be it Jazz, or Classical, or ThrashMetal!!!
And i’m still looking for new bandmembers who don’t like abortions but do like to rock!!
 
Oh yeah, one more thing… this one I tell my girls: Garbage in… garbage swilling around… garbage out.
“It’s not what goes in that corrupts, but what goes out.”

There is definately wisdom to your instructions, espescially for children, but I would stress that what goes in does not always come out defiled.
 
This has been an area of conflict with my husband & I. He has very “dark” taste in music. He is a devout, practicing Catholic but some of the music he listens to gives me the creeps. I’m kind of embarressed to even name the bands.

He has the common sense not play things with objectional lyrics around our daughter. He says he doesn’t take the lyrics seriously. We both were “metal heads” in highschool and his taste in music hasn’t changed.

He does listen to a couple metal christian bands.And slowly he’s listening to the really hard stuff less and less. We both love 80’s pop music so we figure that’s a good compromise since those lyrics made no sense anyway.

I have to admit I got so creeped ou by one of his cd’s I spinkled holy water on it while he was in the shower.:o
 
40.png
whowantsumadebo:
So now I usually just try to listen to music of whence the musicians are talented, be it Jazz, or Classical, or ThrashMetal!!!
QUOTE]

Thrash Metal is pretty safe, ya can’t understand what they’re saying anyway.😃
 
The only Radiohead CD I ever bought was “OK Computer”. Not a bad disc though not really my thing. If you like Radiohead you should get into Porcupine Tree.
A good metal band with Christian themed lyrics (they aren’t a Christian band) is Helloween. Their first two albums have good power metal songs though after that they lost their guitarist to the band Gamma Ray (another good metal band with Christian spirituality lyrics) they haven’t been the same.
Since we’re on the topic of music, what is everyone’s opinion on Iron Maiden? Steve Harris is evidently a very spiritual person by his lyrics and the album The X Factor boarders on Christian Metal though they have a song called “The Number of the Beast” that seems as if they are portraying the evil one in a positive light. Any thoughts on this?
 
40.png
Ghosty:
Definately. Incidently, I went to a Novus Ordo Mass in Thailand and it was BEAUTIFUL! No guitar to be heard, just an organ and perhaps a few other quiet instruments. That’s when I realized that the Novus Ordo is perfect the way it is, just that it’s very, very poorly done in America all too often.
Aye, The Novus Ordo can be done beautifully, the best (still used) liturgy I have heard is at Pluscarden Abbey in the North of Scotland. Near Elgin. I fully recommend a retreat there. You can fly to Inverness Airport or Aberdeen. I went to see my friend get ordained to the Benedictine Priesthood there on last Monday. Just beautiful…
 
40.png
Motherof5:
Hi, John and others.

I sense that I may be a bit older than some of you, as I have never heard of this band you mention. That being said, I do like to listen to the radio when driving. All too often, however, I find myself having to switch stations because of lyrics I don’t want my children (ages almost 11 and down) to hear and imprint in their heads. I’ve been thinking that, as much as I love music, it is a far better thing not to fill our heads with most of it–at least the top 40 and rock variety. It’s difficult, but I try to just avoid it altogether and either listen to some classical, jazz, news or a book on tape. I consider this a sacrifice, as I am a singer and am married to a musician. Just a thought, but maybe there is something to be gained from simply getting rid of this type of music completely and offering up the silence for a soul who needs something.

Thanks for reading.

Sincerely,
Motherof5
I do not listen to the stuff often… its just often I think the music reflects society stained by original sin, it often leads me to prayer and to pray for them… nihilism often leads to faith, if one sees the world is tarnished one can grope in the darkness and find God (like I did when I converted at 19 years old) There are some Radiohead songs which compel me to light a candle in front of St. Jude and just pray, pray and pray. I agree though its best to offer it up for the Holy Souls and just not listen to it.
 
John of Woking:
Likewise if a film has pornographic clips it is naturally disturbing as it is offensive
Well, that, for one reason, is why the remote control on TV’s as well as the mute-button are my favorites.

I switch the tv channel any time an ad comes on. That’s important like it was the other night, during Game 7 of the ALCS. I was basically watching the season premiere of West Wing during that hour, but flipping to the game as the inevitable numerous ads came on to assault me.

To this silly music pandering to non-conformists, as they say,
“just say no”, or as St. Paul puts it:

Ephesians 6:13 Therefore, put on the armor of God, that you may be able to resist on the evil day and, having done everything, to hold your ground.

6:14 So stand fast with your loins girded in truth, clothed with righteousness as a breastplate,

6:15 and your feet shod in readiness for the gospel of peace.

6:16 **In all circumstances, hold faith ** as a shield, to quench all (the) flaming arrows of the evil one.
6:17 And take the **helmet of salvation ** and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.

Constant Prayer.

6:18 With all prayer and supplication, pray at every opportunity in the Spirit. To that end, be watchful with all perseverance and supplication for all the holy ones
6:19 and also for me, that speech may be given me to open my mouth, to make known with boldness the mystery of the gospel
6:20 for which I am an ambassador in chains, so that I may have the courage to speak as I must.
 
I don’t care for current “contemporary Christian” music on our local stations which sounds just like performance rock from secular bands, most of it sounds like disco or those whiney girl singers who all sound the same, or guys who sound like girls, or guys who sound like bad imitations of Bob Dylan on his worst day.

I used to listen to golden oldie station, have a huge collecton of classic rock (for me the day the music died was Jan 1, 1970 and the BGs and Donna Summer killed it) but about 5 yrs ago, driving home from a Steubie summer conference I found the music on my radio almost unbearable, I have not been able to listen to any rock, classic or otherwise, since then, without actual pain.

I have come to relish drive time silence as a very special kind of prayer time without words, which I cannot describe, and to relish silence at home. I play instrumental hymns, taize or chant before or after (not during) prayer and bible reading time, but otherwise, cherish the silence.
 
I actually witnesses a gathering of “Christian” teens and notices that one of them was wearing a Cradle of Filth t-shirt, another with Marilyn Manson.
 
John of Woking:
Yes I obviously read Scripture daily. The Psalms, Job, Amos and the Gospel of John are real works of beauty. I also don’t follow the fashions…the newest and the coolest e.t.c. but the world is out there and it can pose real moral dilemmas which have to be answered
Guard your heart/mind for once you get something bad in there it will be there for the rest of your life and will haunt you to the day you die.

Most moral dilemmas I have had have been self inflected. Placing yourself in temptation because you think you can handle it is not the Christian way to go.
 
I actually witnesses a gathering of “Christian” teens and notices that one of them was wearing a Cradle of Filth t-shirt, another with Marilyn Manson.
:bigyikes: Ironically, Marilyn Manson’s “Antichrist Superstar” album is the only one of theirs I like, and I consider it to be one of the best albums of the 90s. Trent Reznor produced it, and I think he’s a musical genius, if a bit uneven at times. If only I could actually find my copy…
 
John of Woking:
Radiohead’s music is just awesome - "Everything in its right place…No Surprises, e.t.c.

I think despair is evident in their music but perhaps this is because Life without Christ Jesus is worthless and they can see through the false gods of materialism e.t.c. As Newman said there are only two options…Catholicism or Nihilsm.
I agree that we have reached a time where anything short of perfection (in Christ) is unacceptable. There is much ‘perfect music’ out there now, it seems: Music that seems to be lacking nothing. But I think what truly is lacking in this music is a certain incompleteness ; an imperceptible something that makes it possible to enter into a marriage with it, so to speak. This incompleteness somehow teaches us about the idea of ‘sacrament’ that permeates, or should permeate, our lives.

This marriage of music/mood with our lives I think is shown in it’s perfection through the art of David Lynch. Listen to the soundtracks and soundscapes to any of his movies, and how they are “married” to the scenes. His art somehow seems to deliver us from the slavery of being influenced by what is merely popular within this or that work of art.
 
The Barrister said:
My story, for what it’s worth.

My opinion? Lyrics with Satanic, violent and sexual imagery are very damaging, whether you recognize it or not at the time. Took a lot of reflection to recognize the damage it did in my life.

I agree, I mean i skip those songs on the cd player, the thing is the same band (Radiohead, Grandaddy, leonard Cohen etc) also make excellent songs and my dilemma is does one bad song corrupt the whole band. Likewise does one bad novel corrupt an author. There are even parts of the old testament, which, if were written nowadays would seem disturbing, such as that psalm about bashing a babies head against a rock. If I heard that nowadays I’d be shocked but we know through the teaching Church that there is a reason for it to be there.
 
40.png
Brown10985:
The only Radiohead CD I ever bought was “OK Computer”. Not a bad disc though not really my thing. If you like Radiohead you should get into Porcupine Tree.
A good metal band with Christian themed lyrics (they aren’t a Christian band) is Helloween. Their first two albums have good power metal songs though after that they lost their guitarist to the band Gamma Ray (another good metal band with Christian spirituality lyrics) they haven’t been the same.
Since we’re on the topic of music, what is everyone’s opinion on Iron Maiden? Steve Harris is evidently a very spiritual person by his lyrics and the album The X Factor boarders on Christian Metal though they have a song called “The Number of the Beast” that seems as if they are portraying the evil one in a positive light. Any thoughts on this?
I’ve heard of porcupine tree but are they depressing enough for me?😃
 
The only time I watch TV is for news or cricket/soccer and even then the commentator/newsreader will either say something offensive or anti-life…😦 Saints Cyril and Methodius Orate pro nobis and all of europe which is sinking into a secular tryranny.
40.png
BayCityRickL:
Well, that, for one reason, is why the remote control on TV’s as well as the mute-button are my favorites.

I switch the tv channel any time an ad comes on. That’s important like it was the other night, during Game 7 of the ALCS. I was basically watching the season premiere of West Wing during that hour, but flipping to the game as the inevitable numerous ads came on to assault me.

To this silly music pandering to non-conformists, as they say,
“just say no”, or as St. Paul puts it:

Ephesians 6:13 Therefore, put on the armor of God, that you may be able to resist on the evil day and, having done everything, to hold your ground.

6:14 So stand fast with your loins girded in truth, clothed with righteousness as a breastplate,

6:15 and your feet shod in readiness for the gospel of peace.

6:16 **In all circumstances, hold faith **as a shield, to quench all (the) flaming arrows of the evil one.
6:17 And take the **helmet of salvation **and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.

Constant Prayer.

6:18 With all prayer and supplication, pray at every opportunity in the Spirit. To that end, be watchful with all perseverance and supplication for all the holy ones
6:19 and also for me, that speech may be given me to open my mouth, to make known with boldness the mystery of the gospel
6:20 for which I am an ambassador in chains, so that I may have the courage to speak as I must.
 
40.png
puzzleannie:
I don’t care for current “contemporary Christian” music on our local stations which sounds just like performance rock from secular bands, most of it sounds like disco or those whiney girl singers who all sound the same, or guys who sound like girls, or guys who sound like bad imitations of Bob Dylan on his worst day.

I used to listen to golden oldie station, have a huge collecton of classic rock (for me the day the music died was Jan 1, 1970 and the BGs and Donna Summer killed it) but about 5 yrs ago, driving home from a Steubie summer conference I found the music on my radio almost unbearable, I have not been able to listen to any rock, classic or otherwise, since then, without actual pain.

I have come to relish drive time silence as a very special kind of prayer time without words, which I cannot describe, and to relish silence at home. I play instrumental hymns, taize or chant before or after (not during) prayer and bible reading time, but otherwise, cherish the silence.
Too true…there is not enough silence. The devil is putting noise between us and God
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top