3
3DOCTORS
Guest
In the process of deepening my understanding and would be interested in your insights. All plausible interpretations welcome whether more literal or less literal – I can sift and sort through the mix and see what it yields.
My earliest learning was thus: When I was in CCD and we were taught about Cain’s story in Genesis 4, the emphasis was on Cain as the first murderer. And there was also the implication that God didn’t think the sacrifice of grain was as good as Abel’s animal sacrifice. Which is a little puzzling too – if Cain was a farmer, a grain sacrifice would be the appropriate tithe for him, right? (I come from farming ancestors, btw!
)
Now I’m reading through Genesis with the mind of an adult, and I’m curious as to how to interpret the rest of the chapter. Seeing that God didn’t strike Cain down for his crime. Cain was punished by being destined to be “a restless wanderer on the Earth.” And Cain was afraid so God promised that if anyone killed Cain, Cain would be avenged sevenfold.
I guess my question or bit of confusion is why was Cain treated relatively leniently if he was a murderer?
Is it to emphasize God’s mercy, or is it because if God struck down Cain there would be fewer people to have children in the early days? Or is it as the footnote to the NAB says, that Cain is the “prototype of nomadic peoples . . . [or] . . . sedentary peoples with higher material culture”?
My earliest learning was thus: When I was in CCD and we were taught about Cain’s story in Genesis 4, the emphasis was on Cain as the first murderer. And there was also the implication that God didn’t think the sacrifice of grain was as good as Abel’s animal sacrifice. Which is a little puzzling too – if Cain was a farmer, a grain sacrifice would be the appropriate tithe for him, right? (I come from farming ancestors, btw!
Now I’m reading through Genesis with the mind of an adult, and I’m curious as to how to interpret the rest of the chapter. Seeing that God didn’t strike Cain down for his crime. Cain was punished by being destined to be “a restless wanderer on the Earth.” And Cain was afraid so God promised that if anyone killed Cain, Cain would be avenged sevenfold.
I guess my question or bit of confusion is why was Cain treated relatively leniently if he was a murderer?
