My atheist friend has stumped me

  • Thread starter Thread starter jakegosling55
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m sorry, but by what agency do you know what I think of the mass? You wrongly put derisive words in my mouth. Why are you doing that?
I’m sorry if I misunderstood you. I was responding to this quote:
My only regret, except that it led me on an extraordinary adventure, was that there was no aspect of my encounter with the Church at the time of my experience that was of practical use.
As you know, I am not dismissive of the Church for you. I do not participate for my own reasons which are my business. I hope you are not in a position where you cannot distinguish one of us from the other?
This sounds a bit condenscending. Its okay for me but not for you…But, yes. Its your own business.
Read the quote; Jesus is recorded as saying it.
Of course it was Jesus. But he’s saying that he will enlighten them after the resurrection, when all things became clear.
 
Sorry, just a nit-picky item: Jesus does not, in fact, become part of us when we communicate. Rather, we become part of him. This is the miracle of the Eucharist, and what puts it far apart from any sort of cannibalism.

Pax Christi,
Anthony
No, Jesus does become part of us and we become part of him: From the catechism:

1391 Holy Communion augments our union with Christ. The principal fruit of receiving the Eucharist in Holy Communion is an intimate union with Christ Jesus. Indeed, the Lord said: “He who eats my flesh and drinks my blood abides in me, and I in him.”
 
I’m sorry if I misunderstood you. I was responding to this quote:
My statement stands, and is not a reflection on what it does or can mean for someone else. And it wasn’t a statement particularly pertinent to the Mass. In fact, I found it a bit insulting that you assume I have any such feelings as you imagine about the Mass. I am speaking only of my own experience. And yet, it seems that people take my own encounter with Deity as a prescription for their lives. I intend no such thing. It gives me a strong sense that very many people are on the defensive here, and are so fragile in their faith that my utter confidence in my discoveries is a threat. But no one has another’s experience. I can question why someone might believe what they do, as what people believe is as much a conundrum as many regard my understanding. I just am what I am, as are you, and I am answering your questions about my path with no agenda that you should or could be on it.
This sounds a bit condenscending. Its okay for me but not for you…But, yes. Its your own business.
As above, it is not condescending, it is just my sincere commendation that you do what is right for you according to what you have accepted as belief. For my part, and my part only, while I was as convinced as you seem to be about your beliefs, there came a point where they were not sustainable in the form that I understood them. And according to whatever standards the priests and nuns who educated me had applied, I was rather strong and accurate in those understandings.I sure felt that way–I did much to convert folks to Catholicism. So there is nothing condescending in what I say to you.
Of course it was Jesus. But he’s saying that he will enlighten them after the resurrection, when all things became clear.
“But (H)e is saying…”? How do you know that? What is your grounding in epistemology and other disciplines related to the understanding of how you yourself apprehend information, by what filters you asses them, and so on and so forth. Why and how is that the only possible interpretation, as you appear to insist? I guarantee you it is ordinarily or metaphysically not.
 
My statement stands, and is not a reflection on what it does or can mean for someone else. And it wasn’t a statement particularly pertinent to the Mass. In fact, I found it a bit insulting that you assume I have any such feelings as you imagine about the Mass. I am speaking only of my own experience. And yet, it seems that people take my own encounter with Deity as a prescription for their lives. I intend no such thing. It gives me a strong sense that very many people are on the defensive here, and are so fragile in their faith that my utter confidence in my discoveries is a threat. But no one has another’s experience. I can question why someone might believe what they do, as what people believe is as much a conundrum as many regard my understanding. I just am what I am, as are you, and I am answering your questions about my path with no agenda that you should or could be on it.
I can’t speak for others who are reading this, but I’m not in the least bit deterred by what you write here. You are exceptionally non-specific. All I have understood you to say (paraphrasing) is that you have found a way to understand God outside the Church. You have never given us any view of what that is so how could anyone be defensive about it. Indeed, I am concerned for you soul because you seem to have abandonned the true faith for something else which you won’t describe. That raises tons of red flags in my opinion. What makes you think you are hearing from God and not Satan?
As above, it is not condescending, it is just my sincere commendation that you do what is right for you according to what you have accepted as belief. For my part, and my part only, while I was as convinced as you seem to be about your beliefs, there came a point where they were not sustainable in the form that I understood them. And according to whatever standards the priests and nuns who educated me had applied, I was rather strong and accurate in those understandings.I sure felt that way–I did much to convert folks to Catholicism. So there is nothing condescending in what I say to you.
So what exactly is your reason to be on Catholic Answers on this particular thread? From my perspective, what you have done is to come here, state that you have found a better alternative to find God than the Church, but have given no explanation at all about what this alternative is. It makes me think you are subconsciously asking for help…
“But (H)e is saying…”? How do you know that? What is your grounding in epistemology and other disciplines related to the understanding of how you yourself apprehend information, by what filters you asses them, and so on and so forth. Why and how is that the only possible interpretation, as you appear to insist? I guarantee you it is ordinarily or metaphysically not.
Come on, simply read all of John 16 in context. He’s explaining that he is about to enter his passion, that they are not yet ready to hear all the details, but that the Holy spririt will shortly make it all clear to them…

You are presenting yourself as a latter day Gnostic.
 
No, Jesus does become part of us and we become part of him: From the catechism:

1391 Holy Communion augments our union with Christ. The principal fruit of receiving the Eucharist in Holy Communion is an intimate union with Christ Jesus. Indeed, the Lord said: “He who eats my flesh and drinks my blood abides in me, and I in him.”
Thank you for the information.
 
I can’t speak for others who are reading this, but I’m not in the least bit deterred by what you write here. You are exceptionally non-specific. All I have understood you to say (paraphrasing) is that you have found a way to understand God outside the Church. You have never given us any view of what that is so how could anyone be defensive about it. Indeed, I am concerned for you soul because you seem to have abandonned the true faith for something else which you won’t describe. That raises tons of red flags in my opinion. What makes you think you are hearing from God and not Satan?
I am glad to hear that you are not deterred, Paul, because as you know, I have encouraged you in your Faith and continue to urge you to practice it to its fulfillment. As for defensive, mostly I see belief quoted, or misquoted at me. This is not about belief, except to go beyond it. And words cannot be specific about the ineffable. As for practice, I I have said before, ask constantly who it is that believes, or is concerned, or isn’t deterred, or who thinks I am hearing either from God or Satan. Then you will know where I am, relative to your God or Satan or any duality, including who you think you are.
So what exactly is your reason to be on Catholic Answers on this particular thread? From my perspective, what you have done is to come here, state that you have found a better alternative to find God than the Church, but have given no explanation at all about what this alternative is. It makes me think you are subconsciously asking for help…
I was a strict and devoted Catholic who learned something very much, seemingly, by accident, about who and what I am. When that happened, my understanding of what constitutes the human person radically and fundamentally changed in an instant. It is impossible for me to go back, as i would for anyoune, I have no doubt. What i arrived at was not an intellectual or faith based perception, if it can be called that. I would call it a discovery. Simply put, I can categorically say that we are not what we think we are, though we appear-due to our discursive mind-to be what we ordinarily seem. We can literally go beyond the learned mind and discover something astounding and transforming about ourselves and God. And I come here because there are a few who are in a similar or same boat I am.
Come on, simply read all of John 16 in context. He’s explaining that he is about to enter his passion, that they are not yet ready to hear all the details, but that the Holy spririt will shortly make it all clear to them.
No Paul, you come on. If you can’t come up with other scenarios, even if incorrect, you are not thinking, and you certainly don’t have the tools to appreciate any direct answer, as it would be inherently misleading. Do the do and we can talk soon, or in a few years. who knows.
You are presenting yourself as a latter day Gnostic.
:rotfl: Thanks, I needed that! You may, if necessary, call me a non dualist, or an esoteric Catholic.
 
I am glad to hear that you are not deterred, Paul, because as you know, I have encouraged you in your Faith and continue to urge you to practice it to its fulfillment. As for defensive, mostly I see belief quoted, or misquoted at me. This is not about belief, except to go beyond it. And words cannot be specific about the ineffable. As for practice, I I have said before, ask constantly who it is that believes, or is concerned, or isn’t deterred, or who thinks I am hearing either from God or Satan. Then you will know where I am, relative to your God or Satan or any duality, including who you think you are.
Well, I certainly have no idea of what you are talking abou.
I was a strict and devoted Catholic who learned something very much, seemingly, by accident, about who and what I am. When that happened, my understanding of what constitutes the human person radically and fundamentally changed in an instant. It is impossible for me to go back, as i would for anyoune, I have no doubt. What i arrived at was not an intellectual or faith based perception, if it can be called that. I would call it a discovery. Simply put, I can categorically say that we are not what we think we are, though we appear-due to our discursive mind-to be what we ordinarily seem. We can literally go beyond the learned mind and discover something astounding and transforming about ourselves and God. And I come here because there are a few who are in a similar or same boat I am.
Frankly, I hope not many are in your boat. Your discovery doesn’t mean much to me. Simply put what do you think you are? What was your great revelation?
No Paul, you come on. If you can’t come up with other scenarios, even if incorrect, you are not thinking, and you certainly don’t have the tools to appreciate any direct answer, as it would be inherently misleading. Do the do and we can talk soon, or in a few years. who knows.
You must be kidding. people can dream up all kinds of things to bend scripture too. I am happy to just follow what the church says it means.
:rotfl: Thanks, I needed that! You may, if necessary, call me a non dualist, or an esoteric Catholic.
What does that mean? What is a dualist?
 
Well, I certainly have no idea of what you are talking abou.
I guess that is why you keep asking questions. That is very good, and goes hand in hand with your excellent continued education. The point is that if you ask yourself, as thoughts pass through your mind, “Am I this?” you can exhaust your sense of identifying with or as anything that is the contents of your awareness, while increasing your perceptive ability and internal integrity. This yields a unique epistemological position its final fruit. So this isn’t about religion, it is about something entirely different. And it is ancient. You didn’t think I was making this up, did you? 🙂
Frankly, I hope not many are in your boat.
You don’t even know what it is. You may like it here, lol!
Your discovery doesn’t mean much to me.
How could it yet? You haven’t done the work. But nothing happens before its time, does it.
Simply put what do you think you are?
I know what I am not
What was your great revelation?
I am not this, though I appear to include it. But that is only a linguistic pointer to something that is ineffable, and taking it literally is misleading at best. In the mean time, I am what you want me to be to suit your purposes. What else could I be?
You must be kidding. people can dream up all kinds of things to bend scripture too. I am happy to just follow what the church says it means.
Then you may not find out what it means.
What does that mean? What is a dualist?
You, acting on the presuppositions of the structures of English and the consensus convention that we are subject/object awareness creatures only, are, as well as the vast majority of people, a dualist.
 
I guess that is why you keep asking questions. That is very good, and goes hand in hand with your excellent continued education. The point is that if you ask yourself, as thoughts pass through your mind, “Am I this?” you can exhaust your sense of identifying with or as anything that is the contents of your awareness, while increasing your perceptive ability and internal integrity. This yields a unique epistemological position its final fruit. So this isn’t about religion, it is about something entirely different. And it is ancient. You didn’t think I was making this up, did you? 🙂

You don’t even know what it is. You may like it here, lol! How could it yet? You haven’t done the work. But nothing happens before its time, does it. I know what I am notI am not this, though I appear to include it. But that is only a linguistic pointer to something that is ineffable, and taking it literally is misleading at best. In the mean time, I am what you want me to be to suit your purposes. What else could I be?Then you may not find out what it means.You, acting on the presuppositions of the structures of English and the consensus convention that we are subject/object awareness creatures only, are, as well as the vast majority of people, a dualist.
So this is all about you thinking about who you are or who you are not? Self awareness?
 
So this is all about you thinking about who you are or who you are not? Self awareness?
That depends on what you might mean by “Self awareness.” I’m guessing we see it differently, but perhaps not.
 
That depends on what you might mean by “Self awareness.” I’m guessing we see it differently, but perhaps not.
I find it curious that you spend so much time thinking about yourself. Its a bit counter to Catholic Thought, after all. As I see it, God made us all for a specific purpose, which is to help others unceasingly. Only by Giving, can we truly recieve. . My daily prayer is that I learn how to love more fully, which is to do things for others without expecting anything in return… Do you see it differently?
 
I find it curious that you spend so much time thinking about yourself. Its a bit counter to Catholic Thought, after all. As I see it, God made us all for a specific purpose, which is to help others unceasingly. Only by Giving, can we truly recieve. . My daily prayer is that I learn how to love more fully, which is to do things for others without expecting anything in return… Do you see it differently?
As I was rather sure, your perception of self inquiry is about a polar opposite of what it can and is meant to be,and how I experience it. You might be far closer if you thought of it as a deeper level of the examination of conscience. Or it might be thought of as the fulfillment of the vow of poverty. If I read it correctly, your statement conflates personality and dispassionate self awareness as a factor of agency.

And you are right. Unceasing service to others is an excellent practice. But who is doing that service? What is the “I” which is the motive power of such activity, or any activity? But as long as you see yourself and others as discreet entities, you may not have the foundation of the picture quite in hand and might therefore be plowing the wrong field, as very admirable as such work is in any case, and commendable.

Also, the way you have it stated it almost sounds as if you have purpose and method as the same. This is so, but only at a level where the kinds of distinctions you are making are perceived somewhat differently. but please be assured, I am not a self absorbed navel gazer concerned about the wonders (or is that blunders? 🙂 ) of my personality. Lord, how boring is that? God is infinitely more absorbing.
 
But as long as you see yourself and others as discreet entities, you may not have the foundation of the picture quite in hand and might therefore be plowing the wrong field, as very admirable as such work is in any case, and commendable.
please define “discreet entities”. or did you mean “distinct” entities?

Why do I get the feeling you must have really liked the movie Avatar?
 
As I was rather sure, your perception of self inquiry is about a polar opposite of what it can and is meant to be,and how I experience it. You might be far closer if you thought of it as a deeper level of the examination of conscience. Or it might be thought of as the fulfillment of the vow of poverty. If I read it correctly, your statement conflates personality and dispassionate self awareness as a factor of agency.
What does this mean? “conflates personality and dispassionate self awareness as a factor of agency”? Who talks like that ?
And you are right. Unceasing service to others is an excellent practice. But who is doing that service? What is the “I” which is the motive power of such activity, or any activity? But as long as you see yourself and others as discreet entities, you may not have the foundation of the picture quite in hand and might therefore be plowing the wrong field, as very admirable as such work is in any case, and commendable.
You don’t see people as discreet entities? I think that is a fundamental misunderstanding. Every person is a individual with his own will. We are not part of a collective like the Borg.
Also, the way you have it stated it almost sounds as if you have purpose and method as the same. This is so, but only at a level where the kinds of distinctions you are making are perceived somewhat differently. but please be assured, I am not a self absorbed navel gazer concerned about the wonders (or is that blunders? 🙂 ) of my personality. Lord, how boring is that? God is infinitely more absorbing.
I think you are missing the very simple fact that God is love. He does everything for everyone without getting anything in return. We are to emulate that. Just contemplate that.

I think you might benefit from Euchartistic Adoration. And you would definitely benefit from mass. All your self reflection has caused you to miss the very basic fundamentals.
 
Post #121

Whadyamean, is this what you are referring to?

arunachala-ramana.org/new…to_advaita.htm
this link goes to a 404; I’ll assume it is the same or a similar one about which I answered in post 126 addressed to you. I’m sorry if you missed it.
No. That is a collection of words and images that are the result of some devotee’s experience of Sri Ramana. My Mentor did introduced me to Ramana’s words, amongst others as recorded on paper. As such, they will mean to you what you bring to it. They are not in themselves Truth, but only black dots on paper or dancing electrons on your screen, Whatever we read, see, or experience is a mirror. Ramana only encouraged his listeners to inquire about who it was that was looking.
 
What does this mean? “conflates personality and dispassionate self awareness as a factor of agency”? Who talks like that ?
You read it here. I do. Guilty as charged 🙂 Me and many of my friends. For ages. Not the same words, but the same idea. We are rather consistent, even if we don’t know each other through time or space. This is not about learning something from a book or flights of imagination.

It points to, that with work, anyone willing to make the effort can discern that there is a factor in their experience that is in a position of “observer” to what transpires as experience without being involved with it or being acted on by it. From this point one can experiential understand that what is in the mind as thoughts, impressions, everything, is separate from this observing factor in a very important way. Turning on’s attention to this “observer” yields a perspective that cuts through the Gordian Knot of much of the dysfunctions of human experience.
You don’t see people as discreet entities? I think that is a fundamental misunderstanding. Every person is a individual with his own will. We are not part of a collective like the Borg.
Of course we appear that way to one another through the senses. But this is not, as you can find out, not the ultimate functioning reality of the human. And since epistemology is pretty much poo-poohed in our society, to the point where what I’m talking about isn’t even intelligible to most, this understanding is a very unusual, albeit actual position from which the nature of the mind can be discerned. And you may note, Paul, that most of the people around us think about well enough to get to work and back without breaking a limb. But they do not have a working knowledge of what they are using to think with. And that is my point here. We need to know what we are thinking with, before any of our conclusions have any validity, and beyond that, Truth.

Einstein speaks very clearly to this issue in his private papers. So if you wish to get out of the flatland dissonance that is a result in part of the Hume-Kant misfortune, this might be a way. As far as I can tell, Jesus liked it. And, if you wish, I will take the time to message you a useful page from Nisargaddata’s talks about the nature and purpose of inquiry. He is rather contemporary, but I can get you much older works as well, but he might be an excellent start, if you wish,
I think you are missing the very simple fact that God is love. He does everything for everyone without getting anything in return. We are to emulate that. Just contemplate that.
Well, I’ve got to be pretty dense then, Paul, because that is what takes up a lot of each of my days. It is something I try to consider even when doing “other” things. Thanks for the sage advice.
I think you might benefit from Euchartistic Adoration. And you would definitely benefit from mass. All your self reflection has caused you to miss the very basic fundamentals.
I did benefit much from both of those, as you and others I chat with seem to continually forget. As I have said, mine is a deliberate choice made solely/soul-ly for myself on terms I found to be necessary for my spiritual well being. Mine, not yours, or anyone’s. But again thanks. You are clearly a good, kind, and thoughtful person.
 
this link goes to a 404; I’ll assume it is the same or a similar one about which I answered in post 126 addressed to you. I’m sorry if you missed it.
Oh, thanks, I missed your reply.

Thank you. I guess I just don’t have a clue. I was only going by what you said about advaita and that was the first site that popped up.
 
Oh, thanks, I missed your reply.

Thank you. I guess I just don’t have a clue. I was only going by what you said about advaita and that was the first site that popped up.
It is an excellent site, among many others. But it is not Ramana himself speaking, and is mostly a reflection of his students, except for the quotes. If you are actually interested, I can message you some titles that are recorded conversations, lectures, or books, many by English speaks, some women, who are very clear in what this is about. If you are only casually curious, don’t bother. That is why, although I will answer questions, I am somewhat obscure about them. There is no use giving intellectual information about something that is primarily experiential, even though it is as close to the repeat ability requirement of science as possible in terms of interior experience. If I say something in terms of a “definition,” You might think you understand the referent and would be misled.

For instance, if you asked me “Do you believe in God?” and I said “yes” I would be misleading you. If I said “no” I would be lying. But you have in your mind what you think those terms mean. They do not necessarily mean in everyone’s experience what you assign to them. But as Einstein said, paraphrasing him, The only test of the way we order our minds is through success.

The way I advocate for myself is the deepest epistemological stance that produces consistent results that match other independent “thinkers” in this area. Therefore it can be said with a high degree of certainty that the methodology of Advaita has independently rendered matching and consistent perceptions from the earliest times of its records or whether its Teachings were straight forward or veiled.

And this is where there seems to be some contention from learned religious. And by learned religious, I mean people who “learned” their religion, whatever it might be, and people who actually looked at how the mind works and why, and by what means. There is a consistent an repeatable conclusion that is yeilded from the recommended inquiry. If it was fantasy, everyone would come up with their own “trip.”

But that is what is happening with faiths, politics, economics, etc. How can you come to even a valid conclusion if you don’t have the wherewithal to calibrate your equipment? And you may have a manual that is very accurate, as you do, but someone spilled coffee on a part that doesn’t seem important, but really is key in the whole of the structure.

With all due respect and sincerity, a few words have been gotten sideways in the last two thousand years. And that has no judjement about all the wonderfullness that is happening, but just that there is a tweak, like finally getting a “magic picture” into focus, that changes everything for the better, without destroying anything of what currently is. I’m sure you have seen one fo those pictures that looks like static or flat, and when you look at it a certain way, you exclaim "OH! I see! That is all that we are talking about here, not who is right or wrong.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top