As I indicated in my first post, I was hoping people with a more intellectual background would respond.
I’ve been fairly well educated, by most standards. I responded.
My initial two main messages outlined my predicament, and it is one that is primarily epistemological. But no one has yet addressed that side of things.
What do you mean by an epistemological concern? Are you wondering if an idea is that *which *is known (Descartes), or if an idea is that
by which we know (Aquinas)? Do you *really *mean epistemology?
OR, are you simply wondering how we can know what we know about God, given that anything can
actually be known? If it is the last question, there has been a fair amount of discussion.
Specifically, what’s your beef? More on this in a sec:
I know of quite a lot of philosophy forums online, but they all tend to have an atheistic bias, which is why I came here.
Good thinking. Atheists really only have two arguments claiming to disprove God - one is self-defeating (the problem of evil), and the other is logically invalid as a proof against God’s existence (unneeded/superfluous hypothesis).
I wouldn’t spend much time with atheists - their thinking is bad.
So, does anyone know of any such forums with good Catholic representation?
Right here. You just need to ask the right questions, and ask them in the right way. If you ask some broad “how can I know” question, you’re going to get just about every answer under the sun - it’s a public forum, and you’re going to get answers from the general public. Expect it, and tailor your question accordingly.
Hints:
- Be specific.
- Take each question one-at-a-time. Shotgunning questions is only going to draw shotgunned answers.
- Try to give a citation to what you’re working with.
Examples of good opening questions, each deserving of its own thread:
- “I don’t understand Aquinas’ second logical proof for the existence of God. Why is it impossible for a chain of efficient causes to extend back infinitely? Would someone with a rather extensive background in Thomistic studies or philosophy please walk me through it? No free-for-all speculation, please.”
- “If the Catholic Church is the One True Church, why don’t all the members immediately become (and remain) Saints? How can I reconcile this apparent hospital-for-sinners with my expectations of what I subjectively (and without adequate foundation) would expect from the One True Church established by Jesus Christ? Could ‘free will’ possibly play a role?”
- “How can stupid people get to heaven? Repent and believe has been too complex for me to grasp, so what hope is there for people who aren’t as smart as me? What is invincible ignorance, according to the Catechism, and how might this relate?”
- “The Catholic Church claims to be historically based. Why should I believe this? Please understand that I have read this and still do not believe, because I think that ‘X’ may not be true. Please tell me why I should accept ‘X’ as a rational conclusion, and please provide hard evidence.”
Start a new thread on
one difficulty, and be as specific as you can possibly be about what your question is. Once that has been worked through, move on to the next question.
God Bless,
RyanL