My Faith is Weak and Failing Me

• Thread starter Thread starter SavedByFaith
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just converted this year, and it was tough. I went through RCIA 4 or 5 years ago & felt weighed down by so many doubts. I decided last minute that I wasn’t ready. I’m VERY glad I waited because what I did was take the pressure of time off my shoulders. I started buying books & surfing the internet about Catholic matters. I also bought books by C.S. Lewis like Mere Christianity(which talks about Christian faith in general). The one thing I new was that I didn’t want to have any doubt when I entered the Church. One day I was sitting at my desk at work & I just realized that I didn’t have doubts anymore. Things just made sense. I went through RCIA a second time & got confirmed. I’m now a VERY happy & undoubtful Catholic.
Maybe your doubts just means you need to wait a little bit longer to convert. It might take enought pressure off of you so that you can stand back & take an objective view of why your having so many doubts.

I can assure you that you are going through a very normal process. It is not uncommon to experience doubt, fear, anxiety among many other things when holiness increases. Please read the excerpt from the Catholic Encyclopedia. While it pertains mainly to mental prayer, it can also apply to some extent to devotional prayers. Note that it does not say it is limited to those exercising mental prayer. While I have engaged in mental prayer, I have not done many devotional prayers. I have increased them significantly, similar to yours, in the last 2 months. I too experience the kinds of things you mention and spoke to my pastor about it. He gave me the same assurance (from his personal experience and from working with others).

The excerpt on “Desolation” comes from this full text article, which is lengthy: newadvent.org/cathen/14254a.htm

Desolation

Spiritual desolation means the feeling of abandonment by God, and of the absence of His grace. This feeling of estrangement may arise from various causes. It may be the result of natural disposition or temperament, or of external circumstances; or it may come from the attacks of the devil; or from God Himself when for our greater good He withdraws from us spiritual consolation. In contradistinction to consolation spiritual desolation may be of three kinds.

The first is called sensible desolation and is the opposite of sensible consolation. It includes aridities, dissipation of mind, weariness, and disgust in the exercises of piety; and it is often experienced by beginners in the practice of mental prayer. It may co-exist with consolation of a higher order just as, in the natural. order, we may pain of body and joy of soul at one and the same time.

The second kind of desolation affects the intellect and will, and consists in the privation of the feeling of the presence of the supernatural virtues as described by St. Teresa in her Life (ch. xxx). This trial is extremely severe, but if generously accepted, and patiently endured, it may be turned into great merit, and many fruits of sanctity will be the result. (See letter of St. Francis of Sales to S. Jane Frances de Chantal, 28 March, 1612). The third kind of desolation is still more severe. It is a darkening of the mind and a feeling of abandonment so great that the soul is tempted to distrust concerning salvation and is tormented by other terrible thoughts against faith, against purity, and even by blasphemous thoughts–the most painful experience which a holy soul has to endure (see St. John of the Cross, op. cit., infra, bk. I, ch. xiv). It would be a great mistake to imagine that spiritual desolation arrests progress in virtue or enfeebles the spirit of fervour. On the contrary, it affords occasion of heroic virtue and of absolute detachment from sensible pleasure, whether natural or supernatural. At the same time we may hope and wish that these interior griefs may be diminished or made to disappear, and we may pray God to deliver us from them, but if all our efforts are in vain, and God permits the desolation to continue, it only remains to resign ourselves generously to His Divine Will.

Aside from this, overloading yourself with too many devotional prayers can lead to burnout - something the devil relishes when we experience the agony of defeat in trying to keep up and throw in the towel as it sounds you are ready to do.

Hang in there, but maybe re-evaluate just how much you are doing in so little time. Consider talking to a priest and re-arranging your prayer plan. Tell him about your struggles. I believe you are experiencing a common set of “beginner” issues that can be helped through dialogue with a priest. Confession is one place to do that. If you have doubts, or if you can’t meet your prayer committments, mention this in confession and listen to the advice given by the priest. If he tells you to cut down, the cut down. If he explains the normal process of spiritual growth, then listen to him there.

40.png
SavedByFaith:
I must not understand redemptive suffering yet.
Unfortunately, most people do not understand the awesome gift God’s allows through redemptive suffering. Joseph in the Old Testament is an excellent example of a suffering servant.

Gen 45:
] And now do not be distressed, or angry with yourselves, because you sold me here; for **God sent me before you to preserve life.
******6] For the famine has been in the land these two years; and there are yet five years in which there will be neither plowing nor harvest.
7] And God sent me before you to preserve for you a remnant on earth, and to keep alive for you many survivors.
8] So it was not you who sent me here, but God; and he has made me a father to Pharaoh, and lord of all his house and ruler over all the land of Egypt.

Joseph went through redemptive suffering and entire nations benefited because of it.

These are articles by Father John Hardon, S.J.
The Apostolate of Suffering

Happiness of Sacrifice

Cost of Loving God

Peace

40.png
SavedByFaith:
I am not Catholic (yet). My prayer fast was intended to lead me to a final decision concerning conversion. Obviously, I am not sure about converting as a result of this terrible lack of faith ordeal that I am going through right now.
Take a deep breath. Now think back, what were your feelings about Catholicism and the chances of your converting before your faith was shaken? I’m willing to bet you were on your way home and I’m willing to bet that Satan knew this too. He is the prince of lies and deceit and would do anything to stop your conversion - don’t let him! Stay focused on what you know in your heart to be true and ask Jesus to guide you on your journey. My prayers are with you.

Thank God for your trials and tribulations. St. Jean Vianney, Cure D’Arles said that if the devil was tempting you then it was because he thought you were worth tempting. If you felt no temptation or guilt about your sins then it was because the devil had got you already.

Pray and give thanks to God for what you have, read the Gospel and go to Mass even though you cannot yet receive Communion. Mass is the key. Alone you are vulnerable to your own doubts and the snares of the enemy. Find a priest to talk to. Pray befoe the Blessed Sacrament.

We are all praying for you.

I don’t have a lot to add to this thread, there’s been some great discussion here already about what to do with suffering and how to change one’s perception of it. It just struck me as I was reading a post about taking a “leap of faith” that in my own journey toward Catholicism (from the Presbyterian church but with many side-routes) there came a point one day when I felt that intellectually I knew Catholicism to be the true faith even though there were a few things I didn’t understand yet. Also in my life there were times when I have found myself doubting the entire “religion” thing, if only for a few moments, wondering is there really a God, an afterlife, etc? But then I remember that at other times in my life how I felt the assurance that these things were indeed true and told myself that I needed to be patient and that feeling of faith would come back again. Do you see what I mean? Although intellectually I knew the reasons for my beliefs, at times my heart doesn’t cooperate and this is when we must make a decision to believe, even when it seems difficult to do so. Like in a marriage when we have been married for a time and the romantic feelings of courtship may have been forgotten. You can either choose to end the relationship, thinking a new person will give you those exciting feelings, or you can be patient and wait for feelings to return. You must choose to make the marriage work by renewed efforts in being loving toward your spouse although at first you may not feel like it. Feelings come and go, feelings of love and feelings of faith. Rarely does anyone go through life feeling God’s assured presence with them all the time. So I urge you to choose to believe, to ask God for the patience and understanding to get through this time and place your trust in him that the answers you seek will be made known to you in time. Our relationship with God is much like a courtship and marriage. Jesus is the divine Bridegroom and we individually as well as corporately as the Church are his Bride. Do not abandon your groom at the altar! 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back