My Friend's "Marriage"

  • Thread starter Thread starter jenlovesyu
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jenlovesyu

Guest
Okay so as I was doing my usual lurkin’ around, I came across this thread… forums.catholic-questions.org/showthread.php?t=420351

And now I think that I have sinned :eek:

My friend, best friend actually, is a lapsed Lutheran. About a year ago, she entered a civil union with a guy whom she told me in the past is Catholic. From what I understand, even if this guy has truly been baptized Catholic, it is highly doubtful that he has had any real catechesis from his parents or from Church. I remember trying to get advice though in the Moral Theology forum about this situation and several people thought I was just being judgmental.

But isn’t it true though that a Catholic who marries outside the Church is committing a grave sin?

I have been treating this union like a marriage because I honestly wasn’t sure exactly how to “treat” it. I don’t want to drive my friend away but at the same time, how on earth do you address something like this with a non-Catholic? She really believes it is a marriage and they are expecting a baby girl in April :o
 
Heck, every friend I have is a sinner in some way…

Treat her as someone who did not know better, pray for him, be the best example of a Catholic you can be. Invite them to Mass, invite them to RCIA.

Pray for whomever had him baptized and promised to raise him in the Faith then failed to do so, they bound him to marriage laws then did not teach him what those laws were. Shame on them.
 
Romans 3:10 As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one:

3:11 There is none that understandeth, there is none that seeketh after God.

3:12 They are all gone out of the way, they are together become unprofitable; there is none that doeth good, no, not one.

3:13 Their throat is an open sepulchre; with their tongues they have used deceit; the poison of asps is under their lips:

3:14 Whose mouth is full of cursing and bitterness:

3:15 Their feet are swift to shed blood:

3:16 Destruction and misery are in their ways:

3:17 And the way of peace have they not known:

3:18 There is no fear of God before their eyes.

3:19 Now we know that what things soever the law saith, it saith to them who are under the law: that every mouth may be stopped, and all the world may become guilty before God.

3:20 Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin.

3:21 But now the righteousness of God without the law is manifested, being witnessed by the law and the prophets;

3:22 Even the righteousness of God which is by faith of Jesus Christ unto all and upon all them that believe: for there is no difference:

3:23 For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;

3:24 Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus:

3:25 Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in his blood, to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God;

3:26 To declare, I say, at this time his righteousness: that he might be just, and the justifier of him which believeth in Jesus.

3:27 Where is boasting then? It is excluded. By what law? of works? Nay: but by the law of faith.

3:28 Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith without the deeds of the law.

3:29 Is he the God of the Jews only? is he not also of the Gentiles? Yes, of the Gentiles also:

3:30 Seeing it is one God, which shall justify the circumcision by faith, and uncircumcision through faith.

3:31 Do we then make void the law through faith? God forbid: yea, we establish the law.

This should explain a lot when it comes to what Jesus went through, and why he did.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top