H
hockeyluke234
Guest
Hey all, this is my first post on this forum, so hopefully I’ve done things properly.
If you could please read my post and comment what you think I should do, it would mean a lot.
So here’s my situation:
For a while I’ve been trying to gain a solid relationship with God, and one thing I would do to try and do that, is make promises to him. This way, it meant I had to commit to him, and I thought it could be a pretty good idea on how to set out a relationship, because not only would God be happy with me for keeping promises, I was benefiting from things as the promises were there to improve my lifestyle and further my relationship with God himself.
However, I made a mistake and a while ago, I made a promise and said, “If I break the promise, take my life”. I thought this was smart as it would give me a serious incentive to keep the promise.
But, as time has passed by, I’ve been feeling like I want to do what I promised not to, more and more! The thing I promised not to do is a sinful thing to do, and it would be good for me to hold off, not only to keep the promise, but to not sin. Yet, I don’t know if I want to keep the promise anymore, I sure can, it’s just a matter of me wanting to put in the effort to be mature and hold off.
I have still stuck to the promise relatively well, it’s been close for me to crack a couple times, and maybe I crossed the line slightly, but I haven’t broken it yet to a point where I’m worried or nervous about consequences. But I wanted to ask this forum for opinions on this, because I’m sure everyone here has a better understanding of God than I do.
If I be honest to God and ask for forgiveness, can he free me from my promise and not punish me?
Am I obliged to keep the promise, because I don’t need to be freed from it?
Since my relationship with God still isn’t good currently, will he ignore things like my honesty and plead for forgiveness, and still punish me?
I appreciate you taking the time to help me if you have any advice.
Thank you, Blessings!
+Luke
If you could please read my post and comment what you think I should do, it would mean a lot.
So here’s my situation:
For a while I’ve been trying to gain a solid relationship with God, and one thing I would do to try and do that, is make promises to him. This way, it meant I had to commit to him, and I thought it could be a pretty good idea on how to set out a relationship, because not only would God be happy with me for keeping promises, I was benefiting from things as the promises were there to improve my lifestyle and further my relationship with God himself.
However, I made a mistake and a while ago, I made a promise and said, “If I break the promise, take my life”. I thought this was smart as it would give me a serious incentive to keep the promise.
But, as time has passed by, I’ve been feeling like I want to do what I promised not to, more and more! The thing I promised not to do is a sinful thing to do, and it would be good for me to hold off, not only to keep the promise, but to not sin. Yet, I don’t know if I want to keep the promise anymore, I sure can, it’s just a matter of me wanting to put in the effort to be mature and hold off.
I have still stuck to the promise relatively well, it’s been close for me to crack a couple times, and maybe I crossed the line slightly, but I haven’t broken it yet to a point where I’m worried or nervous about consequences. But I wanted to ask this forum for opinions on this, because I’m sure everyone here has a better understanding of God than I do.
If I be honest to God and ask for forgiveness, can he free me from my promise and not punish me?
Am I obliged to keep the promise, because I don’t need to be freed from it?
Since my relationship with God still isn’t good currently, will he ignore things like my honesty and plead for forgiveness, and still punish me?
I appreciate you taking the time to help me if you have any advice.
Thank you, Blessings!
+Luke