My proposed ethical system

  • Thread starter Thread starter Vera_Ljuba
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
That is NOT what I said. What I said was: “IF you wish me to take that assumption into consideration, THEN you must prove it”. If you consider this requirement “harmful”, then you did the damage to yourself. I am not responsible for your thoughts.

It happened once that an acquaintance of ours took offence at a neutral remark. When we asked a psychologist friend about it, she asked: “did you intend to hurt him”? When we said, no, we did not intend to hurt, she said: “then it is his problem”.
WOWZERS, I totally missed this comment.

So, if I don’t INTEND to hurt someone, it is just their problem that they are hurt by my actions? Are you SURE about this? You really want to admit this as a principle? Think carefully.
 
WOWZERS, I totally missed this comment.

So, if I don’t INTEND to hurt someone, it is just their problem that they are hurt by my actions? Are you SURE about this? You really want to admit this as a principle? Think carefully.
Just a quick comment for now - I am quite busy. I did not say “actions”, I said “words”. Go back and read it: “neutral remark”. 😉 Sorry, but I am definitely politically incorrect, and no, I will not accept responsibility for other people’s thoughts.
 
Just a quick comment for now - I am quite busy. I did not say “actions”, I said “words”. Go back and read it: “neutral remark”. 😉 Sorry, but I am definitely politically incorrect, and no, I will not accept responsibility for other people’s thoughts.
Is that relevant? Is the act of speaking to someone not an act (in your ethics system)?
 
That would be allowing harm to happen. And if you did kill the one person to save the other five than arguably you were forced by circumstance and were acting to do as little harm as possible (5 deaths > 1 death).
Sure. But we do not have the power to do anything better. When we are limited by the circumstances, we should choose the best available option.
The false god here is intuition.
Do you have anything better to offer than using our best judgment, based upon the available evidence? Intuition is far from infallible, but what else is there?
Here are three questions:
  1. How do we know what warrants the use of force and what doesn’t?
  2. What compels one to avoid using “unnecessary” harm when it is done secretly?
  3. How do we calculate which kinds of harm are worse when they are qualitatively different kinds of harm?
These are the major problems.
  1. Use your best judgment based upon the available evidence.
  2. Nothing compels anything. Even if you believe in some afterlife, you are not “compelled” to follow a certain course of action, even though you are threatened by eternal damnation. Even though Christians believe in eternal reward and eternal punishment, it does NOT compel them to behave “morally” - according to their own definition of “moral” behavior.
  3. Use your best judgment. What else is there for beings who don’t have “omniscience”?
Is that relevant? Is the act of speaking to someone not an act (in your ethics system)?
There is some “miniscule” difference between talking to someone and bashing his head with a baseball bat. If I talk to someone without any intent to hurt him and for some reason he misunderstands me and takes it as an insult … it is HIS fault. If he asks for clarification, we can clear up the misunderstanding, but if he prefers to be insulted, I could not care less, and would refuse to take responsibility for his decision.
As you say, there is a difference. The men lining up to gain access to a lifeboat on the titanic had self-preservation in mind. Were places running out and were a man to hurl the child in front of him in the line off the ship so that he might preserve his life (gain access to the last lifeboat), his act is not one of self-defence, though certainly it is motivated by self-preservation. I guess you’d say: “That child indirectly threatened my life, I was forced to act”. Credible moral systems would not hold the man’s act to be one of self-defence, not would any legal system. And I don’t see how such an act passes your “don’t do unto others…” principle.
It does not. There is difference between self-defense and self-preservation. When one’s life is in danger, the self-preservation instinct USUALLY takes over. Not necessarily, however. People are willing to sacrifice themselves, and it is their decision.
 
Vera - there is much in my preceding posts to which a response has not been provided, but is required if you are to hold up your end in this discussion. Are there responses in preparation, or are you wanting to let the current status of the thread stand?
 
Your idea is a beautiful thought. Why so much criticism? Most responses seem to over
analyze your simple intent. Everyone becomes an expert and rips into every little word.
A person could exchange many words in your proposed system and its meaning would
be practically the same. I believe you were trying to simplify what could be a complex and
difficult task for many people. As people of love and compassion we get it! Nice job. May you continue to think in this beautiful way. Peace
 
Vera - there is much in my preceding posts to which a response has not been provided, but is required if you are to hold up your end in this discussion. Are there responses in preparation, or are you wanting to let the current status of the thread stand?
It may happen that having a lot of responses will result in overlooking some. Which posts of your have I overlooked?
 
Your idea is a beautiful thought. Why so much criticism? Most responses seem to over
analyze your simple intent. Everyone becomes an expert and rips into every little word.
A person could exchange many words in your proposed system and its meaning would
be practically the same. I believe you were trying to simplify what could be a complex and
difficult task for many people. As people of love and compassion we get it! Nice job. May you continue to think in this beautiful way. Peace
Thank you. It is very nice to have your support. 🙂

Of course I understand the others, too. A suggested ethical system needs to be examined. And the difficult problems are the ones, where the weaknesses can be discovered. I welcome the challenges. They help me to clarify my thoughts. 😉
 
**A.**Sure. But we do not have the power to do anything better. When we are limited by the circumstances, we should choose the best available option.

**B.**Do you have anything better to offer than using our best judgment, based upon the available evidence? Intuition is far from infallible, but what else is there?

C.
  1. Use your best judgment based upon the available evidence.
  2. Nothing compels anything. Even if you believe in some afterlife, you are not “compelled” to follow a certain course of action, even though you are threatened by eternal damnation. Even though Christians believe in eternal reward and eternal punishment, it does NOT compel them to behave “morally” - according to their own definition of “moral” behavior.
  3. Use your best judgment. What else is there for beings who don’t have “omniscience”?
**D.**There is some “miniscule” difference between talking to someone and bashing his head with a baseball bat. If I talk to someone without any intent to hurt him and for some reason he misunderstands me and takes it as an insult … it is HIS fault. If he asks for clarification, we can clear up the misunderstanding, but if he prefers to be insulted, I could not care less, and would refuse to take responsibility for his decision.

**E.**It does not. There is difference between self-defense and self-preservation. When one’s life is in danger, the self-preservation instinct USUALLY takes over. Not necessarily, however. People are willing to sacrifice themselves, and it is their decision.
A. You have begged the question.

B. You have either begged the question yet again or have poisoned the well… Now anything that is not “intuition” is “not one’s best judgment.”

C. 1. See above.
2. You have done two things: render the word “compel” to be meaningless, even though I grant your statement and yet continue to use the word anyway, and you admit that your system is not one which can bind anyone absolutely thereby making it not a moral system at all but rather merely a system of describing certain kinds of actions and their motivation.
3. See above.

D. I seem to recall a post where you acted against this very principle, throwing a fit when I pointed out that I thought you had an agenda (and this repeated)… You threw the rule book at me and at least seemed very upset, even though I had no intention of “harming” you. Was this your fault, or mine? I claim it was “neutral,” whatever that means.

Anyway, look at a certain major political figure in the USA at the moment. Does he really intend to offend such and such a group? Probably not. But is it right for him to say xyz? Probably not. Words are powerful. We have to be careful with how we use them… What if the Secretary of Defense has no intention of harming anyone but is casually talking about sensitive intel on an unsecure cell line? What if I’m approached by a grieving mother looking for consolation and make some crass joke about death? It’s “neutral,” since I don’t intend to hurt her. (Unless you want to establish some criteria for “neutrality,” this is what it seems to mean.) We could go on. Words start wars.

E. So it’s right because “an instinct” “takes over”? Is this really what you want to say? You see no problem here? How about claiming that my “violent instinct” “takes over” when I get mad at someone for cutting in line, so I kill him? I claim it was a circumstance that FORCED me to do harm so that I could get my spot in line back and not be bothered by him trying it again. Is your ONLY appeal to proportion? But then you are stuck with the transplant dilemma once again… It is BETTER that 5 live than that 1 live, all things being equal.
 
Your idea is a beautiful thought. Why so much criticism? Most responses seem to over
analyze your simple intent. Everyone becomes an expert and rips into every little word.
A person could exchange many words in your proposed system and its meaning would
be practically the same. I believe you were trying to simplify what could be a complex and
difficult task for many people. As people of love and compassion we get it! Nice job. May you continue to think in this beautiful way. Peace
Consider that there are plenty of people on CAF who actually ARE experts in these things.

The “simple intent” is fine, and in casual daily practice for the most part “do no harm” will work. But not everything is casual, is it. VL’s system, which he has been touting as vastly superior to the backward-thinking Catholic system, is an oversimplified version of a highly flawed normative ethics called consequentialism which is completely at odds with the Gospel. It is NOT a compassionate or loving way to live according to the Church. This system gives us things like euthanasia, abortion, contraception, no-fault divorce, and all manner of other bad, bad stuff.
 
Consider that there are plenty of people on CAF who actually ARE experts in these things.

The “simple intent” is fine, and in casual daily practice for the most part “do no harm” will work. But not everything is casual, is it. VL’s system, which he has been touting as vastly superior to the backward-thinking Catholic system, is an oversimplified version of a highly flawed normative ethics called consequentialism which is completely at odds with the Gospel. It is NOT a compassionate or loving way to live according to the Church. This system gives us things like euthanasia, abortion, contraception, no-fault divorce, and all manner of other bad, bad stuff.
On previous threads, Vera has argued from a typical consequentialism/proportionalism perspective. On this one, he seems to have made a bit of a mess by crafting 3 rules and adding a “don’t do to others …” principle and defining that as his system. I’m. It sure the current system can be named. It is not coherent.
 
It may happen that having a lot of responses will result in overlooking some. Which posts of your have I overlooked?
Could you please respond to each of:
  1. Post #37, the Last Para therein.
  2. Post #42, the first para therein. In answering could you make clear (i) whether the presence of others in the queue ahead of you (in excess of lifeboat capacity) indirectly threatened your life; (ii) whether you would or would not feel “forced” to get yourself on that lifeboat (the alternative being to die as the titanic goes down) at the expense of another person; (iii) how the rules/principles of your ethical system provide the solution to this situation.
To maintain clarity of the thread, please respond to those posts - not this one!
 
On previous threads, Vera has argued from a typical consequentialism/proportionalism perspective. On this one, he seems to have made a bit of a mess by crafting 3 rules and adding a “don’t do to others …” principle and defining that as his system. I’m. It sure the current system can be named. It is not coherent.
It is what invariably will happen except with those who have already seen where this goes and have the integrity to accept the conclusions.

I have another question… It’s about principle #2…

Is one really supposed to prevent ALL harm that he possibly can? Such that whenever one hears of harm being done, he must literally do whatever he possibly can to make it stop? That does not seem wise at all. Soon every cent will be gone, and one will find himself wrapped up in countless affairs which are not his own when there are better uses of his time, such as more earnestly fulfilling his own function in life according to his office and circumstances. (That’s called “virtue”!)
 
You have begged the question.
Really? So we should NOT choose the best available option according to our best knowledge? Should we choose the worst option?
I seem to recall a post where you acted against this very principle, throwing a fit when I pointed out that I thought you had an agenda (and this repeated)… You threw the rule book at me and at least seemed very upset, even though I had no intention of “harming” you. Was this your fault, or mine? I claim it was “neutral,” whatever that means.
Which post was that? A link will do just fine. I really don’t like these empty posts.
Words start wars.
People start wars. I simply repeat, that I refuse to take responsibility for your “parsing” of my words.
E. So it’s right because “an instinct” “takes over”? Is this really what you want to say? You see no problem here? How about claiming that my “violent instinct” “takes over” when I get mad at someone for cutting in line, so I kill him?
Does cutting into the line put you into mortal danger?
It is BETTER that 5 live than that 1 live, all things being equal.
But all things are not being equal. Cutting into a line does NOT put you into mortal danger.
The “simple intent” is fine, and in casual daily practice for the most part “do no harm” will work.
Thank you for coming clean. Which is about 99.99% of the time. Lifeboat situations are very rare - in real life. But they need to be examined in these thought experiments - for fun! Please see it below.
But not everything is casual, is it. VL’s system, which he has been touting as vastly superior to the backward-thinking Catholic system…
Did I, really? Example, please… with link. I don’t think I ever badmouthed the Catholic system, and if you considered some of my posts as “uncharitable”, you could have asked for clarification.
… is an oversimplified version of a highly flawed normative ethics called consequentialism which is completely at odds with the Gospel.
Ah, so if something is at odds with the Gospel, then it is immediately and automatically “highly flawed”? :rolleyes:
It is NOT a compassionate or loving way to live according to the Church.
But the church is no authority outside the circle of the believers.
This system gives us things like euthanasia, abortion, contraception, no-fault divorce, and all manner of other bad, bad stuff.
Those are only “bad, bad stuff” according to some people.
On previous threads, Vera has argued from a typical consequentialism/proportionalism perspective. On this one, he seems to have made a bit of a mess by crafting 3 rules and adding a “don’t do to others …” principle and defining that as his system. I’m. It sure the current system can be named. It is not coherent.
What is incoherent about it? Maybe I should have included the Golden Rule as the “zeroeth rule”, but I thought it was obvious - because it is the one and only principle which has been shared across the ages and across the societies - AND which makes very good sense. The rules I presented are the simple, logical corollaries of the Golden Rule.
Is one really supposed to prevent ALL harm that he possibly can? Such that whenever one hears of harm being done, he must literally do whatever he possibly can to make it stop? That does not seem wise at all.
It would be nice if you guys could get rid of this “all or nothing”, or “black and white” type of attitude. Every problem needs to be examined on its own.

So let us agree that in most, everyday situations those simple rules work just fine. And they work just fine WITHOUT any reference to some deity. We can examine the extreme cases, of course.

Answer to Rau’s post #37 and #42:

Now the more extreme situations the simple rules are problematic. Real life-threatening situations (not being cut off in the cashier’s line in a grocery store as e_c suggested :rolleyes:) can happen in two “flavors”. One, when you must react instinctively to an immediate danger, and the other one, where you have time to ponder your actions. If the situation demands immediate, instinctive reaction (and please use your sound mind in deciding how to discern them) there is no “ethics”, there is no “morality”. Your instincts take over, and you react automatically.

In an actual real lifeboat situation (when you foresee that some resources will run out and you cannot do anything about it) where you are NOT in immediate danger, but you will have to make some “him or me” type of decision eventually, I don’t think that there is a solution which will satisfy everyone. Which simply supports the fact that “ethics” is subjective. You can invoke the altruism and offer a self-sacrifice in order to save others, or you can use the “might makes right” and throw out the weaker in order to save yourself. But there is no objective method which will decide that one is better than the other. It is all a matter of “taste”.

Maybe you will contend that the rules I suggested are only applicable in everyday circumstances. I would agree, that this is all what you can expect. Special cases need special considerations - which is NOT necessarily special “pleading”. But the point is that these rules need no appeal to some deity. And that appeal to some deity will not create a system which will “compel” anyone to follow their suggestions.
 
Sure. But we do not have the power to do anything better. When we are limited by the circumstances, we should choose the best available option.
Fair enough.

Does your ethical system cover reparations (i.e. if a wrong has already been committed maliciously, should the wrongdoer have to pay some form of reparation for the damages he has done [money? years in prison? his own life?]).
 
Which simply supports the fact that “ethics” is subjective. You can invoke the altruism and offer a self-sacrifice in order to save others, or you can use the “might makes right” and throw out the weaker in order to save yourself. But there is no objective method which will decide that one is better than the other. It is all a matter of “taste”.
Tah dah!..

It’s about time. So do you now realize, for instance, that “mortal danger” is arbitrarily chosen as “the key” which lets one do anything and everything - unless it’s someone else who needs a transplant, because, well, Golden Rule and nobody ever has an “instinct” in this case to kill the one to save the 5! :eek:

Ok well in my ethics this doesn’t work. Since ethics is supposedly subjective, that’s all she wrote, folks. Stalemate… especially since there’s no meaning to “moral” other than a mere description rather than a prescription. It provides no “ought” only an “is.” For you, at least. So I don’t see how it can be relevant to anyone else. It describes actions but has no compelling character.

But I’m sure now you’ll try to turn it into an “objective system” with “subjective applications” or something like that, thus forfeiting the coherent conclusion that has been reached and moving back in the discussion.

Sisyphus wins again.
 
Fair enough.

Does your ethical system cover reparations (i.e. if a wrong has already been committed maliciously, should the wrongdoer have to pay some form of reparation for the damages he has done [money? years in prison? his own life?]).
Two do not make one . If “A” would “B”, then doing the same act to “A” would not restore the state of affairs. What would you consider a proper action to punish a rapist? Eye for eye, tooth for tooth, rape for rape? The whole concept of “justice” comes from the desire to restore the state of affairs to the original status. But that is impossible in most cases. If there would be a way to prevent the original act, there would be no problem.
 
Ok well in my ethics this doesn’t work. Since ethics is supposedly subjective, that’s all she wrote, folks. Stalemate… especially since there’s no meaning to “moral” other than a mere description rather than a prescription. It provides no “ought” only an “is.” For you, at least. So I don’t see how it can be relevant to anyone else. It describes actions but has no compelling character.
No moral system can have a “compelling” character. It is always a “suggestion”. The Golden Rule is a suggestion. The rules I presented are “suggestions”. The only pertinent point is that in 99.99% of the time they WORK, and they are not dependent upon any deity. And that the truth, ladies and gentlemen. 🙂
 
No moral system can have a “compelling” character. It is always a “suggestion”. The Golden Rule is a suggestion. The rules I presented are “suggestions”. The only pertinent point is that in 99.99% of the time they WORK, and they are not dependent upon any deity. And that the truth, ladies and gentlemen. 🙂
They “WORK” only if they achieve something. What is that something?

Your comment about “suggestions” has been noted previously, and yet we still disagree about what that means.

No, one is not bound by violence to act freely in such and such a way. That is a contradiction. Nobody is suggesting it, though it seems this is all that you imagine “compelling” could mean, given your return to the “suggestion” objection… And yet the distinctively “moral” becomes delusional unless there is still some kind of “ought” which applies. Your system as you have proposed it destroys the “ought.” But you still say it can “work.” What on earth does that mean? And further, what does it mean that it “works” for most cases but not all? And while I granted that psychologically your system can “work” (meaning line up with virtue), it does not logically work in any case because it fails to provide an “ought” and also fails to provide objective values. There isn’t really a moral system at all.

Virtue ethics is not simply a reward-punishment paradigm as you are imagining. Yes, ultimately there is a “consequence” which measures the act, but the final goal is the universally desired good of happiness. There is a reason for Aristotle and Thomas beginning with this discussion rather than the deontological questions of normative ethics, let alone casuistry! Heaven and Hell are simply the confirmation of our choices toward or away from happiness (within the context of grace). Happiness is a fulfillment of our nature, which is something we do not simply choose. Virtue is the mean which avoids extremes that harm the order built into our nature.

Since you concede that your “system” (which is really not that systematic, as has been shown by the failure to rise to satisfactorily answering several questions, especially about how to discern values) is merely a “suggestion,” then it is not really worth continuing to argue about whether or not it “works.” There is nothing about it to “work” other than satisfying YOUR explicit personal intuition MOST of the time.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top